U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2007, 07:54 PM

25 posts, read 179,168 times

Advertisements

I have been offered a transfer to this area. I would work a regional area (Bakersfield to Fresno) and I can live anywhere inside that area. I would prefer a smaller town. I was thinking of one of the cities along Hwy 99 between Bakersfield and Fresno.

Can anyone tell me anything about those areas? We have no children, so schools don't matter.

Thanks
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2007, 09:08 PM

9 posts, read 35,544 times
Well, according to a nurse that I know from UCLA, they see a lot of cancer cases from Bakersfield. Poor air quality and it's a major agro/oil area.

Old 05-17-2007, 09:50 PM

11,451 posts, read 17,914,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikegirl View Post
Well, according to a nurse that I know from UCLA, they see a lot of cancer cases from Bakersfield. Poor air quality and it's a major agro/oil area.
Not really, heres the answer to your question, visalia, tulare and hanford would be good options, bakersfield is fine to.

Last edited by Roaddog; 05-17-2007 at 10:13 PM..

Old 05-17-2007, 10:08 PM

13,103 posts, read 34,584,297 times
I have a friend in Visalia she loves it!!

Old 05-17-2007, 10:33 PM

Thanks all. I was just looking at that triangle area. We are in Omaha, NE. With the difference in housing prices, we will likely not purchase anytime soon. But, it looks like there are some decent apartments in these cities. Apartment prices seem to be about the same as here in the midwest.

Old 05-19-2007, 12:54 AM

6 posts, read 34,219 times
I'm originally from bakersfield. It was a good place to grow up, but bakersfield, like most of the central valley suffers from terrible summers and terrible air. Bakersfield fortunately is kinda close to LA and the central coast for weekend vacations. I'd choose bakersfield over fresno because of it's location and it's size(I like smaller cities). I'm pretty familiar with the cities in kern county, but not to familiar with any of the others between bakersfield and fresno.

Old 05-21-2007, 05:23 PM

16 posts, read 81,522 times
Default Bakersfield

I live in Bakersfield. THe air here is awful and summers are unbearable. I would go up the mountain to Techatchapi. Rolling hills, beautiful areas, cooler and some light snow in winter. Small town feel. Just 30 minutes down to Bakersfield. Prices are low to average.

Old 05-22-2007, 02:18 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,434,924 times
Gotta ^5 to Tehachapi! Perfect community to buy a home, raise a family. And it's location to Bakersfield is nice 'cuz you can enjoy the shopping and dinning of Bakersfield and yet live in a smaller community, cooler climate in the summer and cleaner air (no fireplace restrictions).

Old 05-26-2007, 09:25 AM

152 posts, read 831,777 times
First of all, Bakersfield isn't for everyone. I lived there for about four years, my wife grew up there, and we still visit her family regularly, so I would say I know quite a bit about the place.

I would say it definitely has a bad reputation within California (known as the "armpit" of CA.) It does have one or two perks though. There a couple of decent schools, but that is irrelevant since you do not have children. It is also semi-close to better places; its about two hours from San Luis Obispo, 2 1/2 hours to coast, mountains, etc. People there consider it a positive in that it is close to Los Angeles, but I see that as a negative.

It is very flat, VERY dusty, and extremely hot from May through October. I always have to laugh when people there say "But it's a dry heat"- after twenty consecutive days of 105 degree temps you will see what I mean ; I was so miserable with having to stay inside with the A/C on full blast, paying astronomical electricity bills. It also heats up very early in the morning and doesn't really cool down much at night, so the heat is truly relentless.

We have two small children and decided to move away for their sake. The air is SOOO bad, especially when you consider that Bakersfield isn't really THAT big. Gang crime is on the rise, and we just decided that what was once positive about Bakersfield exists no longer. It has grown a lot recently BUT this growth is very deceiving. They basically keep building more and more housing tracts, but infrastructure and amenities have remained stagnant. Every once in a while they will build a new chain restaurant, and this strangely seems to keep the residents pacified.

There is definitely a sort of "Good 'Ol Boy" mentality in the air there, which you may be fine with, depending on how conservative you are. I do know that there is a very low percentage of college graduates, so the socio-economic landscape reflects that. There is a Cal State University there, but it ranks very low and has absolutely no presence in the town (doesn't feel anything like a "college town.")

Another thing is that it is supposedly one of the most over-inflated real estate markets in California. A few years ago there were many speculators with money from Los Angeles buying up property. It created a kind of artificial demand, and now prices a facing drastic corrections. It is still relatively affordable for California, but as they say, you get what you pay for.

Sorry for all the negativity, but I would definitely think twice about moving anywhere in the Central Valley, as they all seem to suffer from the same problems. Sure, there are nice people there, but there are nice people everywhere. Good luck.

Old 05-29-2007, 06:52 AM

Thanks for all the input. My new territory runs from Tehachapi to Fresno. Tehachapi sounds nice, but would require more highway miles for my work. Also, my wife needs to work, and I would prefer that she has a short/quick commute.

The bulk of my customer base will be in Bakersfield area, so it looks like Bakersfield may be the best option. I am leaning toward the west side and north side. Or possibly Delano/Porterville.

We will be in Bakersfield on 6/4-5 to scout the area. Hope to have a good look around then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California