Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 03:56 PM

889 posts, read 3,117,425 times

Advertisements

Have them here in N.C. To me,they are just as good as IN and Out.
But, check and make sure what their oil is if you have any type of peanut allergy. My husband has a severe peanut allergy and here they cook in peanut oil. So i get to have them, he does not
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 04:34 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,544,303 times
We have them here in Denver - they're actually pretty good. I wouldn't say they're the same as In-and-Out though, in terms of style and taste - a lot more similar to Smash Burger, which I see is expanding into CA. Reminds me a lot of the old style A&W and Fosters Freeze style burgers back in the 80's, not so much the ones they serve now.

Old 12-10-2009, 04:41 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,538,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvn2nc View Post
My husband has a severe peanut allergy and here they cook in peanut oil. So i get to have them, he does not
I loved potatoes in peanut oil. Yum - more for you!

Old 12-10-2009, 05:48 PM

330 posts, read 878,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
For me this is how it stacks up: In-n-Out has the better burger, but Five Guys has the better fries. Both are better than typical fast food fare.
Totally disagree. I think an in-n-out burger is just a gourmet big mac - with the same or similar type of dressing as a big mac. Once you have a five guy's burger I think you will agree. I'm not saying that five guys has the best burger, but compared to in-n-out, it's much more flavorful. And their fries can't be beat.

Old 12-10-2009, 06:45 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,223,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Do you over analyze every aspect of life like you did here? It's a burger joint fercrissakes, go give them a try and find out for yourself.
Do you respond to every thread with sarcastic smartass remarks like you did here? It's a burger joint discussion fercrissakes, lighten up, read what others have to say and perhaps go give it a try, and you might find out things for yourself.

Old 12-10-2009, 07:13 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,593,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
actually sounds almost identical to InnOut.

Nita
Yeah but 5 Guys are walk in only, no drive thru that I ever saw? Not really a Fuddruckers either, but the burgers are fried on a skillet not grilled or char-broiled much like Fuddruckers. Way better then Sonic, Checkers and the rest.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:11 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,942,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
Do you respond to every thread with sarcastic smartass remarks like you did here?
No, just the ones that deserve it.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:07 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,223,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
No, just the ones that deserve it.
Then you must talk to yourself quite often.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:27 PM

2,404 posts, read 3,948,047 times
Default Five Guys

AYe, I live in SD but am an east coast transplant and all I can say is they got da Bomb Burgers! The best next to Hoodad's.

I was a lifeguard in Alexandria Va (NOVA - home of the franchise) and there was this dump little shop with a line around it everyday. Everyday. Eventually I gave in and checked them out. They sold four things: burgers, fries, sodas, shakes. Five Guys. Fresh and never frozen burgers, they have distribution mastered with a just in time method, fresh meat arrives dailly - it is never nvr frozen, they cook their frys with peanut oil, and they have malt! It's so good. Mushrooms, fried onions, swiss and A-1. They'll fry onions for you. Fantastic. Check them out.

This thread was main page for a second and caught the corner of my eye.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:56 PM

105 posts, read 353,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
A new player in the burger wars is expanding in California, one that I am completely unfamiliar with, and only heard of recently. The buzz is that they are supposed to go head to head with In-N-Out. A little research has turned up mixed reviews and comments. Many like the food, but also remarks that the food is overpriced. Reviews and opinions needed, perhaps by those that have patronized the chain in other areas where they are established. Is Five Guys worth a try when they come to our area, or should we stay with our present favorites?
Yes. Five Guys is generally excellent. However, allergy sufferers should know that they have free buckets of peanuts and use peanut oil to fry food. That being said, I've been to the Original Five Guys and a few locations in Virginia, several in Georgia, and one in Tallahassee, Florida. The Tally Five Guys is usually mobbed and could cook their burgers a tad longer and drain the grease a tad better, but all other locations have totally rocked. Five Guys is simple fare, but will definitely beat most fast food joints and most $5 chain restaurant burgers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California