U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2009, 01:51 AM

24 posts, read 36,688 times

Advertisements

I recently decided that I wanted to attend Santa Monica College then transfer to a UC or USC after a year. So I got two buddies together and they are down to move with me. One will be attending school at SMC too. We will be splitting the rent/bills.

My dad doesn’t think this is the best idea because he feels finding a job down there will be impossible. Plus he says the amount they take out your pay check with taxes is worse then here in Washington and he doesn’t feel that with a minimum wage job the three of us could afford it.

I will most likely be taking a student loan out and hope to have 6 grand saved up by the time I move in July. So how is the market for jobs in the Santa Monica area and I welcome any advice. This is a huge decision and I really don’t want to screw up my future. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2009, 05:12 AM

26,346 posts, read 83,000,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07McCarthy View Post
he doesn’t feel that with a minimum wage job

how is the market for jobs in the Santa Monica
Know your competition.
(Public domain photo from wikipedia commons. Not protected.)

Old 12-12-2009, 07:48 AM

2,014 posts, read 4,846,883 times
Thousands, if not tens of thousands of young people do exactly what you plan to do, don't sweat it, and.... Don't live south of Ventura My middle child is working, and going to school, and doing quite well.

A job waiting tables is good, as your tips may be more than your hourly, your competition is all those unemployed actors.

Old 12-12-2009, 10:45 AM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 7,529,817 times
Quote:
I recently decided that I wanted to attend Santa Monica College then transfer to a UC or USC after a year. So I got two buddies together and they are down to move with me. One will be attending school at SMC too. We will be splitting the rent/bills.
One thing you need to pay attention to is the cost of tuition for residents and non-residents. I'm not sure if you can get resident tuition if you just move without being here for a certain time period. It's way cheaper if you are in state.

Old 12-12-2009, 12:01 PM

15,774 posts, read 15,012,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f_m View Post
One thing you need to pay attention to is the cost of tuition for residents and non-residents.
For community colleges in CA, in state residents must have lived here for a year and a day. Out of state residents pay tuition on top of enrollment fees. I'm sorry to say that I'm with your dad, since it sounds as if the cost would be prohibitive.
Residency Information

Old 12-12-2009, 03:11 PM

Yes I would get out of state tuition this first year but in state tuition the 2nd year if i chose to stay at SMC. Thats why i plan on taking student loans out to pay for school. while getting a job and useing my money already saved up for living purposes.

Old 12-12-2009, 09:22 PM

Does anyone know what the average paycheck is working a part time job?

Old 12-12-2009, 09:28 PM

8,273 posts, read 26,333,774 times
Quote:
Does anyone know what the average paycheck is working a part time job?
ten bucks an hour.

UC, USC, it is a big difference. Latter will set you back 100k or so... former is shaping up to about 35k.

You gotta plan this a little better.

Old 12-12-2009, 09:43 PM

15,735 posts, read 26,771,022 times
Depends on the situation. My wife works part time as a Nurse. She makes pretty good money.

To be more specific for your case, Minimum wage in California is $8 an hour. In&Out pays $10 an hour. If you are attending school the suggestion is to work 24 hours or less a week. On a worse case scenario you would be grossing on average $832 a month. Chances are the net would be somewhere around $650 a month. With the 3 of you working a similar job that would have you bringing in $1,950 a month. Your rent will be over $1,000 a month.

Chances are for a 2 bedroom place you would need $1,200 and up. Not too sure about Santa Monica rents but I am familiar with rents in the western Ventura County area. Utilities would probably cost you another $100 to $150. For about $100 you can get a phone, cable, and internet package. That gets you up to around $1,400 a month leaving you and your room mates $550 for food, transportation, and anything else you need.

That is if all three of you can find a job. For the moment this area is not the best for available jobs. Even minumum wage jobs are being sought by older adults that have been laid off or are seeing the need to reenter the work force.

Old 12-12-2009, 11:05 PM

My dad knows a guy in Florida that says he can get us work if we want to move over there. Would this make it harder for me to attend USC though, I know its a private school so tuition will be the same. The places seem to be a lot nicer for the same price range in that area of florida too. The universities are cheap too if i decide to stay there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California