Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 05:13 PM

4,070 posts, read 5,587,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by highnlite View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 09:23 AM

2,211 posts, read 2,604,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
I figured that if you needed it pinned down to a St. Joe student there had to be more head choppers out there.
Nope that's only one.

Old 06-11-2011, 02:04 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,374,704 times
The only thing good about Santa Maria is Santa Maria BBQ.

Old 10-23-2011, 03:47 PM

1 posts, read 1,208 times
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3]I personally love it here in Santa Maria, truth be told I have my share of poverty growing up in a shelter. Yet I still go to a public school like all the other teens here. Yes there is a lot of Hispanic people here but the diversity does not stop there. There is normally very little gang activity, I live here and believe me there is way more in Lon poc then Santa Maria. As for teens a fun things I love to do with my friends is to go to boomers. Boomers is a game arcade place with go carts, rock climbing and bumper boats. I also enjoy walking on the trail just before dusk. The trail is a lovely piece of nature that anyone could love. Then if I’m still in need of something to do I go to the movies or the mall. With beaches near my friends and I take a bus at Santa Marias new transit center and go off to san Luis Obispo $5 or to Santa Barbara for $7 using the airbus. Another thing for teens to do and its free is the able Maldonado center. The membership is free for teens and there is a computer center and gym along with a game area and a pool there is also a theater room and a cafe. Also with an able membership teens can go to the minima center and learn boxing for free. ya Santa Maria may be small but not boring. Also I go to Santa Maria high school and I’m an ap student. also occult is nice but if you teen likes cars then Santa Maria is a lot better because I am a member of Santa Maria motor sports in Santa Maria high school and we are the only high school in the nation to actually compete in national events and win against professionals. The teens fix the race cars and the adults supervise, ya its fun especially for me because I’m a girl and I get a kick out of seeing sexist people be mad that a girl could fix their car when they couldn’t. I love Santa Maria and why is everyone freaking out about the amount of Mexicans? Is there something personal being portrayed? Because if so the only reason the other comments are referring orccut is because it’s a mostly a white neighborhood and a private school. yes they have higher scores but if somehow a child is pregnant they are normally drop out because of the school or the rudeness of others. At Santa Maria high people are accepting actually its better to be yourself and feel comfortable because it can be seen and Santa Maria high has a program for students with children so the student could graduate. So if you know someone who needs that type of help send them over, smhs is happy to help. Oh and standardized test scores increased by 22 points at smhs while the others increased by a couple points. smhs is my home...to the others say what you want to say..i love it here[/SIZE][/FONT]

Old 10-23-2011, 04:34 PM

13 posts, read 39,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNLV09 View Post
The only thing good about Santa Maria is Santa Maria BBQ.
Good thing I can make Santa Maria style BBQ at home then. Oh I remember the SM of yesteryear, it's really gone down the craphole.

Old 12-14-2011, 05:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,142 times
Thanks for informative post. You say you don't go to Guadalupe, is there a reason? I kinda like it, but then I'm Hispanic. I like that it's cheap and close to the beach and has the Tavern and that it's a one street town. My kids are grown and I'm thinking of eventually building a place there. City-data says the crime there is lower than most places in Central Coast, and quiet and slow may be just what I need. Besides, you're never too far from a winery, or SLO, or Santa Barbara.

Old 12-14-2011, 06:43 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,647,705 times
I hate be the bringer of bad news, but the Far Western Tavern has closed down, they will re open as some sort of yuppie place in Orcutt I hear.

Point Sal Dunes is a subdivision in Guadalupe you might check out.

Old 10-19-2014, 10:37 PM

720 posts, read 802,446 times
Smile With Clarks on this one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarks View Post
Politeness is not really your strong suit is it?

Yep, and we obey all the laws we agree with, or figure we won't get caught breaking. I assume that since you believe in the supremacy of law, that you have never exceeded the speed limit.

National borders are a relatively new thing in the history of the world, really, only a couple of hundred years old. Human evolution has not adapted to national borders, humans are a migratory species.

One of the big problems the Soviets and Chinese had when they achieved power was controlling their Asian borders. The various ethnic groups that lived near those borders were accustomed to moving across them at will, to Afghanistan, Iran, and the various other nations in the area.

The border between the United States and Mexico has existed since 1846, 164 years. For the previous 300 -+ years the southwest was a Spanish and then Mexican possession. For thousands of years before that it was open to whomever.

That a nation creates an artificial border and expects that to be respected in spite of hundreds and thousands of years of no border is a bit of hubris.

If a nation cannot defend that border, it is down right silly to expect it to be non porous.
Clarks, you rock!

Old 10-19-2014, 11:43 PM

720 posts, read 802,446 times
Default Myth versus fact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
This may be true. But the illegals in those countries don't get free health care, free education for their kids, food stamps, and all the other entitlements that the illegals get here, and they probably don't demand that everything be in the language of the country they came from.
Illegals do not get all those services. The mere fact that they are illegals requires them to stay off the radar and remain invisible. No one can even apply for government services without practically giving up their first born so illegals cannot seek all those services you believe they are mooching without exposing themselves. Drawing attention is the last thing they want because they've already suffered, sacrificed, and lost too much just to get here. That's why illegals are exploited; suffer thievery, sexual assault, accidents on the job, below minimum wage pay to work 6-7 days a week, and lack of adequate, affordable housing, all without any protections or justice because they cannot afford to alert authorities to their presence in this country.

You think it is illegals "demanding everything be in the language of the country they came from?" Think about it. How can that even be logical? Illegals are illegal, therefore they need to stay invisible and are in no position to demand anything!

The people you have a problem with are legal immigrants, and even more, your fellow Americans who happen to be of Mexican descent, plus their American supporters who are of various other ethnic and racial descent. Too bad on that score, because regardless of their ancestral origins, Americans of any racial and/or ethnic group have the same rights as the next, which includes influencing social evolution and policy change. A good American who truly believes in the ideals of the nation's founding will get over it and adjust because it is the patriotic attitude to have.

It is entirely normal to be uncomfortable with and unhappy about cultural changeovers in our communities. That is merely human; humans naturally self-segregate. There is nothing inherently wrong or bad about wanting a community to feel like it is our home, and to not want to lose the one we have. The problem is when that very human need causes us to lose perspective and we start targeting other people with broad brushes of misinformation that then turns into mass bigotry, because bigotry hurts its victims and in turn its consequences eventually hurt all of us.

Everyone wants to live among those who share our culture and values, otherwise it doesn't feel like home, but social evolution is inevitable. Communities, even countries eventually, changeover as new groups enter the scene. When our own communities change to the point they don't feel like our own anymore, we need to either make adjustments to our expectations or move on, because These United States of America belong to all of us, not to only those just like us.

I once knew an Irishwoman in the country illegally. She'd hiked over the mountains into Washington from Canada and her American boyfriend picked her up on the U.S. side. She was a whiner and resentful just like a lot of Americans. Interestingly, too, no one she met seemed to care that she was here illegally. Was it because of her white skin and ability to speak English? Did that make her presence here without entering the country legally more acceptable (palatable?) to all the nice, middle-class, white folk befriending her?

BTW, a young relative of mine (who'd never met an immigrant, let alone an illegal immigrant, until he was at least 19-years-old) works in an industry that hires a lot of immigrants including illegal Mexicans, and my young relative actually prefers working with, and likes better, those immigrants, including illegals, because without fail they are more cheerful, hardworking, responsible, and generous than are any of his fellow Americans on the same payroll. He's learned a lot about his own culture's sense of entitlement and lack of empathy for not only outsiders, but its lack of empathy for our own, too. From these immigrants he's learned smatterings of other languages; and he's learned from them their pride in responsible manhood, respect for and responsibility toward elders such as grandparents, parents, aunts, and uncles, as well as supporting younger siblings back home. In other words, he's learned about their commitment to family and the survival of both their immediate and extended families. (How many Americans can make that claim?) He's learned how good he's always had it just from working side-by-side with people escaping political oppression, civil war; community violence from gangs or drug cartels, poverty, or all of the above.

This young relative told me several times that the immigrants he's worked with have without fail outworked almost every American ever hired. He loves working with immigrants because unlike his fellow Americans, these immigrants always pull their own weight, all with a good attitude, cheerful friendliness, and generosity. In fact, the last time his employer was looking to hire new crew members to work with him, my young relative said, "I hate to say it, but whoever he decides to hire, I hope they don't speak English!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California