Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 09:32 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,118,638 times

Advertisements

Totally gnarly dude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 10:38 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,191,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
So she says, "I took Santa Monica freeway to..." ?? I never thought that using "the" in front of a freeway as California-speak. (I like the "the" better, including "the 10.")
That is so funny. I do that. I figured that everyone said that. Maybe it is because our freeways are so LA. Where are you? I am on the 101. Sounds funny to say, "I am on 101." Sounds as if something is missing.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:49 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,081,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyKid View Post
How would you describe the California accent to someone? differences between a NorCal and SoCal accent. not in terms of vocabulary such as the excessive use of the words "like" and "dude", but more in terms of pronunciation.
Well, I was born in LA and then grew up in CAL before leaving for Texas in my early 20's. That being said, up till a few years ago, if someone asked me what kind of accents Californians have I would've replied, "No accent." But I have always had a big interest in accents and linguistics--and one of my hobbies has always been impersonations and mimicking accents; my friends say I'm pretty good at it. So, a few years ago I was at a pool party here in Austin and this guy I met had his degree in Linguistics and was a speech pathologist, helping people with speech impediments. He had this great skill in which he could talk to someone for just a few moments and then tell, with uncanny accuracy what part of the country they were from. I'm talking specific parts! Like, "You grew up in central Michigan, but have lived during your adult life in the southeast, maybe aorund the northern Alabama area."
And he was right on every time!"
Anyway, after he diagnosed me as being reared in California, I asked him how he could tell, since we had no accents? He replied that Californians have a tendency to "drag their vowels." And also, many times they end their sentences with a slightly higher-pitched inflection and tonal dynamic.
I have always remembered that, and have pretty much found it to be true.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:54 PM

16,581 posts, read 27,254,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
Actually, you are wrong. There is definitely an accent that SoCal locals have, which seems to be more apparent for those who grew up near the coast. Many of the native born locals I knew while living in San Diego had it. It is hard to explain and does not stand out like many strong accents found in other parts of the country, but I know it when I hear it. I guess you could say that the vowels are kind of drawn out. As far as NorCal goes I can't really say for certain, but I never really noticed one on trips there.
Northern Californians put the accent on weird places in words. As long as I've been in SD, some people still comment on my "strange" way of speaking lol.

One thing that's common in nor cal is the tendency to stress the first syllable on certain words rather than the next to last which is typical. Often rather than saying san franCISco or sacraMENto we say SAN francisco or SACramento. The California drawl they call it.

Last edited by Gentoo; 12-17-2009 at 11:36 PM..

Old 12-17-2009, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
LOL! I've honestly never heard anybody use "hella", except for Gwen Steffani in her song called "Hella Good".
"Hella" is a nor cal thing. Likely originating in the east bay. I grew up saying it. It's such a part of speech there that you don't realize that it's unique. People who don't like to cuss will say "hecka".

It's beginning to catch on at least in SD slowly.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I don't have any idea what the hella some of you are talking about. Here in Southern California we talk normal and the rest of the nation has some funny accent. Not that it is bad or wrong to have the accent. We are the accent of choice. Take a New Yorker and put them in front of a microphone and a camera and guess what, they sound like us here in California. Have you ever listened to a national news cast? That is the California Accent. It is not midwestern, southern, or Eastern. It is Californian all the way.

You ever hear someone in media call a car a ca? They prounounce the R just like we do out here in California.

Just wondering? If you have an Eastern accent do you drive the Ca to the Ba or would it be ca to the bar? I like the r sound but it seems to get missed the further east you go. In the South I have heard people call the gym the G M. What happened to the y?

Anyway it is fun to listen to others dialects and speach patterns.
Oh my god ok. Let me address this:

The "normal" California accent as you call it is actually based on what's called Standard American which is based on I believe it's called North Midland, a midwestern dialect. This area runs from somewhere in central Missouri through Illinois. So these people are NOT trying to be Californian in their speech, they are speaking Standard American which the California speech is based on.

Also, the lack of the R isn't an east west thing. It is a coastal thing that's prevalent along the Atlantic and Gulf Coast. English accents occur in tow main groups; rhotic (where the R's are heard) and non rhotic (where R's are not). Even in England, where we think of most accents as non rhotic does have rhotic accents, particularly around Manchester. In the US as I mentioned, it's mainly a coastal thing. The accent in New Orleans is quite distinct compared to other areas of the south, sounding more like a New York accent.

Last edited by Gentoo; 12-17-2009 at 11:25 PM..

Old 12-17-2009, 11:32 PM

Well I live on the coast and we use the R.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
So she says, "I took Santa Monica freeway to..." ?? I never thought that using "the" in front of a freeway as California-speak. (I like the "the" better, including "the 10.")
It's a so cal thing

Old 12-17-2009, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Well I live on the coast and we use the R.
I said it's common (not exclusive) on the Atlantic and Gulf Coast. If I'm not mistaking, I believe you're on the west coast?

Old 12-18-2009, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I said it's common (not exclusive) on the Atlantic and Gulf Coast. If I'm not mistaking, I believe you're on the west coast?
My sad attempt at Humor. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California