U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 09:43 PM

6 posts, read 8,305 times
Mt Surfer, very good rebutal. I lived in Orange, San Diego, and San Bernadino County. Montery is completely different and I also cannot speak for Northern California. If I had the big bucks, I would love to move to Montery, Santa Barbara, etc. Beautiful location.

You are correct with other communities suffering from urban sprawl with traffic problems, etc. It will never be like it was in the 70's, there is no going back. Where did all these people suddenly come from that all these cities are so populated now?

Enjoy your wonderful weather for me, as I'm suffering in Wisconsin at zero degrees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 05:14 AM

11,803 posts, read 12,665,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elllen View Post
Mt Surfer, very good rebutal. I lived in Orange, San Diego, and San Bernadino County. Montery is completely different and I also cannot speak for Northern California. If I had the big bucks, I would love to move to Montery, Santa Barbara, etc. Beautiful location.

You are correct with other communities suffering from urban sprawl with traffic problems, etc. It will never be like it was in the 70's, there is no going back. Where did all these people suddenly come from that all these cities are so populated now?
That is an issue beyond the scope of this board but in many ways California was a victim of its own success - it was just TOO attractive and thus got flooded (not just by immigrants either) and in the process lost much (but not all) of what made it great.

Old 01-10-2010, 01:37 PM

8,968 posts, read 5,532,817 times
I would have to say the majority of negative posts on California can be linked to the housing bubble. California drew a generation of boomer poseurs, many of whom were self-selected to think they were too enlightened and cool to live in Kansas, Wisconsin, etc. mixed with a bunch of sun chasers who left the Northeast and hippies who left wealth families to move here mixed with immigrants from Mexico and everywhere. The resultant culture that has developed in coastal California has been pretty self-satisfied (we could never live in fly over country, they have a TERRIBLE climate, boorish, Neanderthal culture, politics,etc.). Now when the bubbles hit, these folks who already felt fundamentally superior and had rejected the rest of the country struck it rich, and many rolled into town with a boatload of cash for doing nothing, marginalizing local people in desirable towns from Asheville, NC to Ashland, OR to Bozeman, MT to Santa Fe, NM. In many cases, the new Californian immigrants had so much money they could pay cash for a home and buy two more as investments. Now, the Californians are not bad people, of course, but their superior financial position, ignorance or indifference to most of the regional subcultures of the US, and obsession with talking about the state they left can be annoying.

Now, back in California, the dot.com and housing bubbles truly screwed things up for anyone who was not loaded with bogus stock options in 1995 or a homeowner by 2000. It has become a state of haves and have nots. Add to this the insistent push of immigrants, the rise of gang violence, and white flight, disenvestment in public schools,Prop. 13, etc. and you have quite a few things to gripe about.

Bottomline, California has changed a lot, not all for the good, and as the largest state in the union, its fate has affected many other areas around the country. I think people have plenty of reasons for complaining about Californians and California, but I think it would be silly to act like they are any worse than anyone else. Truth is, Californians are innovative and have led the world many times, and most likely will again. But it would help their perception across the country if they did not seem so arrogant and sure that their state and culture are better than everything elsewhere. A bit of humble pie will be a good thing in the long-term, IMO.

As an aside, when did we start saying we "hate on" people? Is this Ebonics? We either hate them or not. I would find it very distasteful if someone truly "hated" Californians. That is an awful mindset. Being annoyed is quite another thing as hating. As for me, I promise, out of respect to my high school English teacher, to never "hate on" anyone!

Last edited by Fiddlehead; 01-10-2010 at 03:05 PM..

Old 01-10-2010, 02:48 PM

1,273 posts, read 968,926 times
Big-time California hater here, and I certainly have not hidden it. But that's just my personal opinion, since I did not grow up here. Therefore I do not have any sentimental attachment or memories living here.

Old 01-10-2010, 02:50 PM

1,273 posts, read 968,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
...But it would help their perception across the country if they did not seem so arrogant and sure that their state and culture are better than everything elsewhere. A bit of humble pie will be a good thing in the long-term, IMO.
A-freakin'-men. This attitude annoying as hell (and often unwarranted) alot of the times...

Old 01-10-2010, 06:27 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,352,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
I love California so much that I left and I'm never going back!
One less person fighting for a job, thanks.

Old 01-10-2010, 06:30 PM

14,141 posts, read 15,283,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest209 View Post
One less person fighting for a job, thanks.
So when will you be headed back to where you came from?

Old 01-10-2010, 08:02 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,299,559 times
Quote:
Big-time California hater here, and I certainly have not hidden it. But that's just my personal opinion, since I did not grow up here. Therefore I do not have any sentimental attachment or memories living here.
An odd statement. Do you hate San Luis Bay? Tulare Lake? Mt Whitney? Anza Borrego? Death Valley? the San Francisco Bay? Mt Shasta?

Old 01-10-2010, 08:18 PM

13,382 posts, read 24,326,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post

Now, back in California, the dot.com and housing bubbles truly screwed things up for anyone who was not loaded with bogus stock options in 1995 or a homeowner by 2000. It has become a state of haves and have nots. Add to this the insistent push of immigrants, the rise of gang violence, and white flight, disenvestment in public schools,Prop. 13, etc. and you have quite a few things to gripe about.
Prop 13 is one of the only protections property owners have over the last 30 years... and even then the taxes are plenty.

Prop 13 requires a 2/3 or in the case of school bonds... 55% vote in favor to raise taxes and this is a good thing.

Old 01-10-2010, 08:25 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,299,559 times
Quote:
I hear southern Missouri calling you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California