Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 06:48 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,237,781 times

Advertisements

Why is everyone so obsessed with California? Or to be more specific why is there so much bad mouthing about California, California has the 3rd most posts on this message board of any state, and it seems like 80 percent is negativity. If you don't like it here, leave, if you don't know anything about it, and your just talking, shut up. This board could be a great resource for a lot of things, but it seems like a lot of it is just complaining. Just blanket statements about areas, with no real knowledge.

My main question is why is everyone so obsessed with badmouthing California, I don't talk about go into the Iowa page and talk about how I hear there is only corn and cows there. My personal opinion, is that a lot of people wish they could live in California, and have such high expectations, that even the Garden Of Eden would dissapoint.

P.S. Off topic, why does North Carolina have the most posts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2009, 07:04 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest209 View Post
Why is everyone so obsessed with California? Or to be more specific why is there so much bad mouthing about California, California has the 3rd most posts on this message board of any state, and it seems like 80 percent is negativity. If you don't like it here, leave, if you don't know anything about it, and your just talking, shut up. This board could be a great resource for a lot of things, but it seems like a lot of it is just complaining. Just blanket statements about areas, with no real knowledge.

My main question is why is everyone so obsessed with badmouthing California, I don't talk about go into the Iowa page and talk about how I hear there is only corn and cows there. My personal opinion, is that a lot of people wish they could live in California, and have such high expectations, that even the Garden Of Eden would dissapoint.

P.S. Off topic, why does North Carolina have the most posts
People just hate on the west coast in General. There's a similar situation in the Seattle forum although not as bad as what California gets.

People who are not from here and have never been here just don't get it. The only people IMO who have a right to talk about California are other Californians. Only we understand how this place really functions. I bad mouth San Diego and I don't mind if San Diegans bad mouth their city or if they bad mouth the bay area and vice versa.. But if you're from Cleveland, save it!

Old 12-18-2009, 08:00 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
Seems that half the posts are by folks from outside thinking how great it would be to live there and the other half are folks on the inside looking to get out.

Old 12-18-2009, 08:02 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,237,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Seems that half the posts are by folks from outside thinking how great it would be to live there and the other half are folks on the inside looking to get out.
That's one thing, if your going to critisize, atleast live here. What bugs me, is people that "have family there" or "drove through". You have to be somewhere for years to judge a area.

Old 12-18-2009, 08:23 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
Well, my experience is that practically any posting board, on any site, turns into a bitching session.

I think the folks who dislike California do so for a variety of reasons, but they generally fall into only a few major categories, economics, demographics or personal situations (job, split ups etc).

I don't buy the concept that folks dislike it out here due to the politics. There are too many folks with too many varied points of view (all very strongly held) for anyone to feel they are out of place here. You can even find a decent number of hard right wingers in San Francisco and Berkeley.

Visually, this state is tough to beat, and I don't state this as someone who would be in charge of the fan club either.

Old 12-18-2009, 08:31 PM

2,963 posts, read 6,262,793 times
At least 1/3 of the posts on here are trolls and people keep falling for it.

Old 12-18-2009, 09:24 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
In all fairness some of us remember a time when it was somewhat different (dare I say better?) than it is now.

Old 12-18-2009, 11:12 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,162,600 times
Move to a coastal area of california with a dual income middle class budget of about 100k(before taxes) with 2 or 3 children. Look me up in 5 years and tell me how much like California then.

Old 12-19-2009, 02:59 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,171,221 times
I really like it here but I read some posts from people looking to move to California and I can just tell this isn't the state for them. It seems like certain kinds of people manage to thrive here better than others do.

Old 12-19-2009, 06:02 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
In all fairness some of us remember a time when it was somewhat different (dare I say better?) than it is now.
Exactly. And some of us who were born in and date back to the 40s and 50s in California remember when it was a lot different and decidedly better for the vast majority of the people rather than a comparatively few of them

California still has a lot to recommend it. Unfortunately, its governance doesn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California