Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 01:53 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times

Advertisements

I like this thread

Well, I got up this morning and went to Morro Bay to run my dogs on the beach. Perfectly clear all the way across the horizon and I could see the entire little mountain range behind me. Stunning. Now, I'm in jeans and a tanktop sitting in my living room watching the dogs sleep in front of the little fire I have going. Merry Christmas Eve

Went to the Melodrama last night (If you're in the central coast area during the Holidays you MUUUUST go see this show!!) which was amazing as usual.

Man... I love California. You would have to drag me kicking and screaming to one of those cold snowy places at this time of year. Give me mid 60s clear crisp weather on Christmas over snow any day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2009, 01:55 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
I'm so glad you decided to post this.

I don't live in California now, but I grew in the Central Valley and remained there for 23 years. I do go home every year, though, because my siblings still live there.

California has something for just about everyone (except extremely cold weather). It has the redwoods, mountains, hills, desert, awesome coastline, and the valley's wide-open spaces. And all are beautiful.

I lived near Merced, and I appreciated the driving accessibility to the coast, Bay Area, Yosemite, Fresno, even Tahoe. Life there was definitely slow but I had my ways to deal with it.

Yes, it gets very hot there. Yes, there is smog. But I insist that the great San Joaquin Valley has the GREATEST springs anywhere. It also has the most awesome sunsets/sunrises I've experienced. And while the Pacific NW boasts clean air from all the rain, NEVER can I look up to see clusters of stars like The Valley offers. That just doesn't happen here ~ it's too cloudy.

I LOVE the fields and fields of cotton, although they farm much less of those now. Grew up in a dairy farm, so I appreciate farming.

In time I learned to appreciate the closeness of the smaller communities that I took for granted when I lived there. It feels so great to see so many people I know whenever I go back. When I retire, I'll return.

Old 12-24-2009, 02:36 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,522,060 times
Quote:
Looks like very big furrows in your lawn
Those Darned Gophers are at it again!!

I posted this prior, in response to someone else whining about California, it fits here also.

Good riddance to them all, they are all going some place worse than this fine state, aside from those who have left for ---------- and -------- and ---------.

mmm... a day in California, how did it go? This morning I took the big lazy dogs for a hike in the mountains, along a stream freshened by the recent rain, damp, cool, sycamores dropping leaves, quail and doves rushing about, a few horsemen and women out in the chill, horses smiling as the clipped along.

Then, I met my wife and we went to a beach front cafe for hamburgers, a crystal clear day, we could see two "puntas" down, nearly 50 miles. The blue pacific flashed like diamonds in the sunlight. We and the other diners sat in shirt sleeves in the afternoon warmth this December 23rd, and listened to the crash of the waves on the beach.

Then off to a bit of wine tasting at one of 200 local wineries. My wife likes to talk about that wine stuff, I get a hankering to go find a cold Firestone Ale, a good local beer.

Then back to the ranch, feed the livestock, come in and check the internet, we will be heading to Disneyland next week, taking the Amtrack Surfliner down the coast, one of the most dramatic train rides in the world is the stretch between Guadalupe and Santa Barbara.

Not a bad day for December.

Curmudgeon is another of those who complain about California, he moved to Missouri, so much better there, the high today in Bluesky? Low fifties, with rain, high temp predicted for Christmas? 28 degrees with snow. Here on Christmas? 61.

I plowed snow for 40 years (in California too), I kinda like going to the beach in shirtsleeves in December.

Old 12-24-2009, 03:33 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,384,247 times
I love California as well;

I just went on a 5 mile walk in nice 70 degree weather here in LA. I usually don't like the holiday season though because everything is closed. It's ok though, I'm sitting outside and enjoying the lovely weather

Old 12-24-2009, 03:40 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
We had a 3 day cold snap 2 weeks ago and I woke up to the sight of snow on all the mountains surrounding the valley I live in. That isn't something that happens every year and it was so pretty! And a great way to get into the holiday spirit! Yet I didn't actually have to deal with the snow, which made me happy.

Old 12-24-2009, 03:59 PM

98 posts, read 605,223 times
Merry Christmas everybody. What a great place to be!

Old 12-24-2009, 05:29 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Despite those who may think otherwise, I, too, love California for both its beauty and its potential. How could I not? I was born in San Diego right after WW II when it really began to boom with aerospace, Kaiser Steel and Hollywood perhaps at its finest. I was raised in Newport Beach in the early days of television, the beginning of surfing and the music that began to accompany it. I was at Disneyland at its opening and a number of my neighbors and friends were famous actors and actresses from the heyday of westerns. I even had the fun and hard work of being a cattle ranch hand for a couple of years.

I was blessed to spend time in the central valley getting to know the bread basket then many years in the capitol having, on a very, very good day, an opportunity to positively affect good policy or at least helping stop bad policy from becoming law. In the process I married two California girls (thank you Beach Boys) and four of my five children were born in the state, as have been four of my six (so far) grandchildren.

If I was younger -- perhaps much younger -- I'd have stuck around to try to make a difference. I can think of no other place that has the challenges facing California or the benefits of weather and scenery and, of course, the people. Cherish and preserve what you have because once gone, you can never get it back.

Old 12-24-2009, 06:04 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,477,915 times
To All Of You WHo Have Posted Thus Far: You have further fueled my lifelong goal of moving to the great state of California! THANK YOU!!! My days of 4 month winters and sliding on ice are numbered!!!

Old 12-24-2009, 06:11 PM

1,465 posts, read 5,147,223 times
Attitudes about California seem to ebb and flow. I have a feeling that people that don't like California move to another state and those that like California move here.

I like California, always have. Welcome to all the newcomers!!

Old 12-24-2009, 08:22 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,700,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Despite those who may think otherwise, I, too, love California for both its beauty and its potential. How could I not? I was born in San Diego right after WW II when it really began to boom with aerospace, Kaiser Steel and Hollywood perhaps at its finest. I was raised in Newport Beach in the early days of television, the beginning of surfing and the music that began to accompany it. I was at Disneyland at its opening and a number of my neighbors and friends were famous actors and actresses from the heyday of westerns. I even had the fun and hard work of being a cattle ranch hand for a couple of years.

I was blessed to spend time in the central valley getting to know the bread basket then many years in the capitol having, on a very, very good day, an opportunity to positively affect good policy or at least helping stop bad policy from becoming law. In the process I married two California girls (thank you Beach Boys) and four of my five children were born in the state, as have been four of my six (so far) grandchildren.

If I was younger -- perhaps much younger -- I'd have stuck around to try to make a difference. I can think of no other place that has the challenges facing California or the benefits of weather and scenery and, of course, the people. Cherish and preserve what you have because once gone, you can never get it back.
Great post even for an old Curmudgeon!LOL... Just kidding and ribbin' you a little bit. But more seriously it sounds like you really did experience a lot of great times while here. And I think no matter where you live you will always have a bit of that CA spirit with you. I know I noticed that when I moved out of state. Although I lived in CO I always had a part of CA with me. And I noticed it in other California transplants as well.

Merry Christmas from the golden state!

Derek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California