U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-27-2009, 12:22 PM

34 posts, read 50,682 times
Default Relocating to Lake Tahoe - Truckee area - is this safe for cats?

Hi,
I'm relocating to Lake Tahoe (north) in March. I have two indoor/outdoor cats who come inside at night. In the residential neighborhoods, is it safe for them? Anyone have experience? I worry about wildlife getting them. I know some houses are smack dab in the wilderness, but am hoping that some neighborhoods don't have wildlife everywhere. They don't roam that much and stick close to home.
Please reply w/ real experiences.
Thank you,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2009, 02:49 PM

6,529 posts, read 14,187,038 times
If you love your cats - keep them indoors.
A cat can make it outdoors for awhile, but it will eventually be a meal for raccoons, mountain lions, coyotes. My parent's barn cat disappeared recently, she was a Maine Coon and had lived in their barn for a couple years.

Old 12-27-2009, 03:25 PM

34 posts, read 50,682 times
Where do your parents live? In the woods or in a neighborhood? (barn sounds like the country and that makes sense for her to be taken by wildlife.) again, I get them in at night when trouble happens. They know about hawks and raccoons, but not lions or coyotes.
keeping them indoors is not an option. They need outside as I do.

Old 12-27-2009, 04:17 PM

14,023 posts, read 9,312,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasuse View Post
Where do your parents live? In the woods or in a neighborhood? (barn sounds like the country and that makes sense for her to be taken by wildlife.) again, I get them in at night when trouble happens. They know about hawks and raccoons, but not lions or coyotes.
keeping them indoors is not an option. They need outside as I do.
Then plan on losing them. You're proposing to take them to a high mountain environment which is still far more wild than it is settled. There are things there which will eat them and they may very well do it right in your backyard. IF they don't freeze solid in the winter time.

Old 12-27-2009, 04:36 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,323,376 times
Let me again state, simpler, bears and lions and coyotes, and raccoons can be expected in Tahoe and Truckee Neighborhoods at any time.

I've chased raccoons out of the garage, neighbor chased a lion out.

As I mentioned before, in Truckee a large Samoyed dog was eaten by a predator in a yard, while chained, while the owner was at work.

Don't forget the hawks, our neighbor's daughter watched a hawk swoop into her yard and take her cat, the cat and the girl screaming in fear.

When one of our dogs was puppy, wife and I watched a hawk dive toward it, we yelled at the children to grab the puppy, they did, barely.

Remember, predators do not feel the need to kill their prey before they begin to tear chunks out of them.

Got the picture?

I have had lions cross the road in front of me, we have had bears to the sliding glass door, we have had bobcats in the yard, porcupines in the yard, raccoons in the garage, coyotes in the yard. One of our llamas was attacked and eviscerated by a bear. Another nearby llamas was killed and eaten by a lion.

We got our cat from a place where lions came down every night to eat the feral cats.

A good friend heard what she thought was her boyfriend rummaging in the kitchen, she went down stairs and confronted a hungry bear, in her kitchen.

The sheriff killed it in the living room.

Got the picture now?

Bring your cats, let them outside, don't expect to keep them.

Old 12-28-2009, 11:01 AM

17 posts, read 28,090 times
Cats are not safe outdoors in any environment. Doesn't matter where you live, country or city. I live in a residential area in L.A. County, and I have had cats get hit by cars, drink antifreeze and die, and one got attacked by two neighboring dogs that escaped their yard. A friend of mine, her cat was killed and partially eaten by a coyote this summer and we aren't really known for having them in this area, but they are. As a young adult I learned to keep my cat indoors and now I have a happy healthy 17 year old cat. We sometimes take her out with a cat harness and she likes to walk around smell the grass and other vegetation.

Old 12-28-2009, 02:15 PM

398 posts, read 744,614 times
If you don't have a Laotion family nearby... your cats should be safe.

Old 12-29-2009, 10:08 AM

2,014 posts, read 3,323,376 times
Yes, some families do use more lotion than others, but usually that does not affect cats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California