U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Unread 01-01-2010, 02:18 PM

8,745 posts, read 4,905,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I don't think it's nasty. I love four distinct seasons. Besides, after three winters in MN, three on the Korean DMZ and several in other snowy places, this is a piece of cake.

I truly hope you achieve your goal!

LOL! About even! It's been many a year since we had a white Christmas like we had here; and it was here today and gone tomorrow!

You're right. Sometimes I feel that way. However, it's difficult to not look back when we have a combined six children and as many grandchildren still living there. Thus a bit of angst!

But beyond that, the digs are good!
Glad to see you still have your sense of humor. And for what it is worth, the California climate is not for everyone. I grew up near Bakersfield with 6 months of summer and brown air. No thanks. I have since lived in many places,and I find I LOVE four seasons. I think it should be 29 degrees in January and 90 in July.

I share your concerns about California. A lot of promises made, odd bubbles of self-righteousness, anti-tax crazies, and sleazy economics have not been pretty to watch recently and certainly worthy of a good rant.

I would differ about the past pride of Californians,envy of others,etc. I woudl not miss that mentality. I never found the "California is the greatest" mindset very appealing, or of any use whatsoever. While California has pretty amazing geographic diversity, this country is full of other amazing places (the Ozarks, Adirondacks, Everglades, Great Lakes, Black Hills, Bayous, New England villages, High Plains, Badlands, Colorado Plateau, Southern Appalachians to name a few) and many fascinating peoples (Acadians, Scots-Irish Appalachans, Yankees, Amish, S. Boston Irish, New Yorkers, Pittburghians, Scandinavians, New Mexicans, Native Americans, Hawaiians, Southerners), and I have never desired to see myself or my state as superior. I hope California can work through its challenges, but I would not be saddened to see its residents end up a little less self-satisfied. Most people have a low opinion of Californians in large part because Californians have such a high opinion of themselves and look down on everyone else. The same applies to America on a global scale.

Unread 01-01-2010, 02:21 PM

17,760 posts, read 13,415,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
I mean, having this outlet to revisit that anger again and again, is probably not healthy, probably not helpful.
There's a HUGE difference between anger and disappointment. Beyond that, my health if fine -- thank you for your concern -- and it could be helpful if if it causes others with stars in their eyes about moving to California to take pause and look beyond the Hollywood vision.

Sorry, Sass. Appreciate the invitation but I ain't leavin' voluntarily.

Be honest. If I was a premier apologist for California and flouting its good points at every turn would you have made that suggestion. I think not!

Unread 01-01-2010, 02:26 PM

7,050 posts, read 16,851,063 times
Quote:
Be honest. If I was a premier apologist for California and flouting its good points at every turn would you have made that suggestion. I think not!
I am somewhat in the same boat as you are... disappointed... planning to leave. But I did come to the realization that on some level, reiterating that endlessly in writing was making me unhappy and stressed out.

Unread 01-01-2010, 02:30 PM

7,316 posts, read 6,702,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Californians have such a high opinion of themselves and look down on everyone else.

LOLL!!! Sounds like Oregon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unread 01-01-2010, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
I am somewhat in the same boat as you are... disappointed... planning to leave. But I did come to the realization that on some level, reiterating that endlessly in writing was making me unhappy and stressed out.
I'll give you that! I guess leaving it behind, especially reluctantly, after so many years takes a bit of doing. Hopefully I'll get better at it.

Good luck with whatever move you make. Do you have any place in particular in mind?

Unread 01-01-2010, 02:35 PM

1,540 posts, read 1,544,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Glad to see you still have your sense of humor. And for what it is worth, the California climate is not for everyone. I grew up near Bakersfield with 6 months of summer and brown air. No thanks. I have since lived in many places,and I find I LOVE four seasons. I think it should be 29 degrees in January and 90 in July.

I share your concerns about California. A lot of promises made, odd bubbles of self-righteousness, anti-tax crazies, and sleazy economics have not been pretty to watch recently and certainly worthy of a good rant.

I would differ about the past pride of Californians,envy of others,etc. I woudl not miss that mentality. I never found the "California is the greatest" mindset very appealing, or of any use whatsoever. While California has pretty amazing geographic diversity, this country is full of other amazing places (the Ozarks, Adirondacks, Everglades, Great Lakes, Black Hills, Bayous, New England villages, High Plains, Badlands, Colorado Plateau, Southern Appalachians to name a few) and many fascinating peoples (Acadians, Scots-Irish Appalachans, Yankees, Amish, S. Boston Irish, New Yorkers, Pittburghians, Scandinavians, New Mexicans, Native Americans, Hawaiians, Southerners), and I have never desired to see myself or my state as superior. I hope California can work through its challenges, but I would not be saddened to see its residents end up a little less self-satisfied. Most people have a low opinion of Californians in large part because Californians have such a high opinion of themselves and look down on everyone else. The same applies to America on a global scale.
I found more of that attitude in Boston and New York. I agree this country is great. I have had the opportunity to travel all over the country for my job. There are very few places that I could not imagine living there. Beauty is everywhere you just have to go out, find it and appreciate it. I'm sure there are a lot of people in Fresno that have never been to Yosemite. It's a shame.

Unread 01-01-2010, 02:50 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,002,372 times
Quote:
I don't think it's nasty. I love four distinct seasons. Besides, after three winters in MN, three on the Korean DMZ and several in other snowy places, this is a piece of cake.

I truly hope you achieve your goal!

LOL! About even! It's been many a year since we had a white Christmas like we had here; and it was here today and gone tomorrow!

You're right. Sometimes I feel that way. However, it's difficult to not look back when we have a combined six children and as many grandchildren still living there. Thus a bit of angst!

But beyond that, the digs are good!
Glad to hear that. It IS hard to have a combined six children and grandchildren still living in CA while you and your wife are elsewhere. There is something about the holidays (and new year as you reflect on the past, present, and future) that brings on all kinds of thoughts and feelings. Best wishes to you and your family for a bright, happy, and healthy new year - 2010.

Unread 01-01-2010, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna7 View Post
Glad to hear that. It IS hard to have a combined six children and grandchildren still living in CA while you and your wife are elsewhere. There is something about the holidays (and new year as you reflect on the past, present, and future) that brings on all kinds of thoughts and feelings. Best wishes to you and your family for a bright, happy, and healthy new year - 2010.
Thank you, Donna. It is cause for some reflection, but I think I'm better now. You have a marvelous year as well!

Unread 01-01-2010, 03:03 PM

2,497 posts, read 3,669,366 times
All BS aside here, I love the state of California and as stupid as it sounds it's still my plan to move there. I'm even taking a Spanish class to prepare me...that was not sarcasm.
I understand that it's a far cry from what it was 20,30,40 years ago and for the elder generations it's painful to see it change that way. One thing to remember though is that even in this day & age, and in this recession people still have "dreams" so to speak. Gotta keep living, dreaming, and doing. Gotta try to see the positives...even if they seem outweighed by the negative. Good post though Carmudgeon. I respect your views.

Unread 01-01-2010, 03:03 PM

8,745 posts, read 4,905,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archan View Post
I found more of that attitude in Boston and New York. I agree this country is great. I have had the opportunity to travel all over the country for my job. There are very few places that I could not imagine living there. Beauty is everywhere you just have to go out, find it and appreciate it. I'm sure there are a lot of people in Fresno that have never been to Yosemite. It's a shame.
I agree that the attitude seems to permeate some other places too, like NYC. Point is, loving your region is great, but not if it limits your curiosity about other places and peoples. The "Ugly American" and "Californicator" images have many parallels. A bit like the guy at the Christmas party that loves to brag about his rapidly appreciating stock portfolio. "Yes, plastics, tattoo ink?..utterly fascinating!...Hmm...If you'll excuse me, I have to go get some more of that cheese loaf..delicious...."

Yes, we can never get enough of hearing how great California (or NYC) is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California