U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 04:00 PM

1,687 posts, read 3,671,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I'm angry because I don't believe my once beloved, native state has lived up to its potential. Rather, I think it has squanderd it riches to the extent that the gold has become tarnished and it's continued decline is almost inevitable.
When life is too good and easy people start taking it for granted. They start living in the moment and forget that life takes hard ongoing work. Its putting off something until it becomes a major problem.

I think too many Californians were taking living in this state for granted. This state has much going for it but many people didn't see it would take hard work to sustain it. Now we have major problems.

The question is how many people are willing to get in and do the hard work to change the condition of the state?

We have now a different demographic trend developing. Nearly 75% of Californians between 15 and 24 were born in California vs. 38% of the 45 to 54 age group (most of that group came from other states).

My hope is that the younger generation will take action and work to return California to greatness. Their energy and ideas and dedication to the state as their home could save it.

My fear is that without the mingling of new ideas from people elsewhere the younger Californians may only know the same thoughts and ideas that got us to this problem. I hope they don't simply repeat the choices and decisions they have seen growing up.

Old 01-01-2010, 04:02 PM

4,184 posts, read 3,831,628 times
I'm an ex-Caifornian who moved to Chicago for college and med school. After practicing here for several years, I'm itching to go back to warm weather. I miss Los Angeles and my family badly.

Old 01-01-2010, 04:03 PM

1,687 posts, read 3,671,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarks View Post
Really, some of you guys would complain if gawd gave you a new car.
It would depend upon the type of car.

Old 01-01-2010, 04:05 PM

11,727 posts, read 24,009,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarks View Post
Defend what? the rivers flow, the mountains have snow, the grass is coming in on the hills. There was a great glassy curl at Pismo Beach today, thousands of people were out enjoying themselves, walking on the beach, shopping in the stores.

Really, some of you guys would complain if gawd gave you a new car.
California could degenerate into Somalia or Afghanistan and as long as the ocean and hills were still there, people like you wouldn't care.

Old 01-01-2010, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
California could degenerate into Somalia or Afghanistan and as long as the ocean and hills were still there, people like you wouldn't care.
Quit the melodrama. CA is nowhere near degenerating into Somalia or Afghanistan. I've actually been to places like this as a Red Cross volunteer, have been caught in crossfire during a coup d' etat in one Southeast Asian country. California is not in the same league as these places.

Old 01-01-2010, 04:12 PM

25,295 posts, read 16,217,121 times
California has blown it in many ways, no doubt, but life is cyclical and what is today won't be tomorrow. That's true of everyplace...so whatever you consider the current "golden states" will only be "golden" for so long. Everyone knows this but nobody likes to talk about it. It's fine too, people should move around, it keeps things interesting. When people leave new people come, which guarentees that things are going to be different sooner or later. But I suppose then the states that start going down will blame the Californian's who moved there for their trouble. It's really a no-win when it comes to CA, it's our cross to bear so to speak. I don't even bother trying much anymore.

Old 01-01-2010, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
Quit the melodrama. CA is nowhere near degenerating into Somalia or Afghanistan. I've actually been to places like this as a Red Cross volunteer, have been caught in crossfire during a coup d' etat in one Southeast Asian country. California is not in the same league as these places.
Learn to read.

Old 01-01-2010, 04:16 PM

25,295 posts, read 16,217,121 times
Quote:
It's the geography and location that guarentee it WON'T turn into something too awful!

Old 01-01-2010, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Learn to read.
Learn to write sans melodrama.

Old 01-01-2010, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
It's the geography and location that guarentee it WON'T turn into something too awful!
There's lots of beautiful parts of the world with horrible social and economic problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California