Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 02:15 PM

7,373 posts, read 15,934,199 times

Advertisements

I'd say that horse in the photo has got his eye on Nevada and is asking himself, "Should I make the break and head over those hills?"

Old 01-01-2010, 02:16 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,232,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Unfortunately, political correctness, extreme partisanship, porous borders and misplaced "progressiveness," sanctuary cities and the like have resulted in stagnation, monstrous debt, social upheaval, ethnic enclaves, stunted government, high taxes, disintigrating infrastructure, poor schools, high crime, clogged freeways, bad air, serious water issues, over-priced housing, crowding, loss of major industries, rampant unemployment and mean streets in everything that term connotes.

I take no joy in any of this. Rather, I wish I could turn back the clock to better times. But for these very real issues to be ignored, minimized or obfuscated is doing nothing positive to effect change and simply parallels the pandering of pettifogging politicians who talk the talk but cannot walk the walk.
Curmudgeon, this is perhaps the most profound C.D. posting I've seen on this topc yet. The state and it's capital greed, and bleeding hearts, have been killling it's grand state for over 20 years. It's "leaders" opened their state to a "free for all" mindset and lost priority on many things. And now that it's in the economic mess that it's in, no leader or politician or law-maker wants to touch (fix) the issues with a 10' pole.

I grew up in Central Calif., in a town that had lots of minorities from Mexico even in the 60's. However, they were all here legally and ALL the students spoke English. Every damn one of them. There were also a lot of Europeans, all here legally (except for one I remember).

The state, and its cities, weren't in an economic turmoil yet (however, the early-70's got really generous with welfare, and LA was already starting to split at the seams).

Unlike you, though, I'll be going back, I'm sure. There are family obligations that will call me back home, and I'm looking forward to the few things that I know I will enjoy (the awesome valley springs, short distance to the coast, etc.). Others, I know I will feel your pain. . .

Oh! And if that speed-train DOES get the final kiss for construction, it may go right through the median in the highway I'd live on. Yuck!

Old 01-01-2010, 02:22 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,232,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
It may be time to hang up your CD account.
Why should he??? He has as much right to his opinions as anyone else on c.d., and he doesn't even use foul language or do infantile rantings like a lot of other posters.

Old 01-01-2010, 02:23 PM

76 posts, read 176,684 times
I think everyone is angry with California. California is like a really nice Craftsman home that was destroyed by a bunch of parting college kids. And now its an eye sore.

Old 01-01-2010, 02:38 PM

2,404 posts, read 4,384,884 times
Yosemite, Lake Tahoe, Monterey/Carmel, Redwood Forests, Highway One and Napa/Sonoma. If you don't get out to appreciate all the California has to offer you don't have anyone to blame but yourself.

Old 01-01-2010, 02:44 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,194,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarks View Post
He is, as he states, a curmudgeon. We have found out though, that he is driven not by reality, but by his prejudices.
He most surely is driven by reality. His remarks are right on target, and I agree with every word. Like him, am sadened at what the once Golden State has become, and wish that it were not so.

Old 01-01-2010, 02:51 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,301,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archan View Post
Yosemite, Lake Tahoe, Monterey/Carmel, Redwood Forests, Highway One and Napa/Sonoma. If you don't get out to appreciate all the California has to offer you don't have anyone to blame but yourself.
Absolute, unparalleled beauty! No doubt about it.

Old 01-01-2010, 02:54 PM

15,639 posts, read 40,909,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I'm angry because I don't believe my once beloved, native state has lived up to its potential. Rather, I think it has squanderd it riches to the extent that the gold has become tarnished and it's continued decline is almost inevitable.

For all of my youth and much of my early adulthood there was a magical quality about being in and from California and it was a source of both pride and joy for its natives and envy from others. I think it's lost that; except, of course, for the delusion fostered by some that Hollywood, CA really represents it.

Unfortunately, political correctness, extreme partisanship, porous borders and misplaced "progressiveness," sanctuary cities and the like have resulted in stagnation, monstrous debt, social upheaval, ethnic enclaves, stunted government, high taxes, disintigrating infrastructure, poor schools, high crime, clogged freeways, bad air, serious water issues, over-priced housing, crowding, loss of major industries, rampant unemployment and mean streets in everything that term connotes.

I take no joy in any of this. Rather, I wish I could turn back the clock to better times. But for these very real issues to be ignored, minimized or obfuscated is doing nothing positive to effect change and simply parallels the pandering of pettifogging politicians who talk the talk but cannot walk the walk.

I, for one, who left to seek a better quality of life elsewhere in retirement resent it keenly. If California was even a shadow of its former self I'd have stayed.

Diatribe over!
Cheer up, Big-C!!! Happy New Year!!!

Old 01-01-2010, 03:03 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,301,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Cheer up, Big-C!!! Happy New Year!!!
Happy! Happy! Happy! And Happy New Year to you as well!

Old 01-01-2010, 03:05 PM

9,520 posts, read 30,344,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post
Why should he??? He has as much right to his opinions as anyone else on c.d., and he doesn't even use foul language or do infantile rantings like a lot of other posters.
I mean, having this outlet to revisit that anger again and again, is probably not healthy, probably not helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California