Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 11:28 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times

Advertisements

I'm angry because I don't believe my once beloved, native state has lived up to its potential. Rather, I think it has squanderd it riches to the extent that the gold has become tarnished and it's continued decline is almost inevitable.

For all of my youth and much of my early adulthood there was a magical quality about being in and from California and it was a source of both pride and joy for its natives and envy from others. I think it's lost that; except, of course, for the delusion fostered by some that Hollywood, CA really represents it.

Unfortunately, political correctness, extreme partisanship, porous borders and misplaced "progressiveness," sanctuary cities and the like have resulted in stagnation, monstrous debt, social upheaval, ethnic enclaves, stunted government, high taxes, disintigrating infrastructure, poor schools, high crime, clogged freeways, bad air, serious water issues, over-priced housing, crowding, loss of major industries, rampant unemployment and mean streets in everything that term connotes.

I take no joy in any of this. Rather, I wish I could turn back the clock to better times. But for these very real issues to be ignored, minimized or obfuscated is doing nothing positive to effect change and simply parallels the pandering of pettifogging politicians who talk the talk but cannot walk the walk.

I, for one, who left to seek a better quality of life elsewhere in retirement resent it keenly. If California was even a shadow of its former self I'd have stayed.

Diatribe over!

Old 01-01-2010, 12:16 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,205,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I'm angry because I don't believe my once beloved, native state has lived up to its potential. Rather, I think it has squanderd it riches to the extent that the gold has become tarnished and it's continued decline is almost inevitable.

For all of my youth and much of my early adulthood there was a magical quality about being in and from California and it was a source of both pride and joy for its natives and envy from others. I think it's lost that; except, of course, for the delusion fostered by some that Hollywood, CA really represents it.

Unfortunately, political correctness, extreme partisanship, porous borders and misplaced "progressiveness," sanctuary cities and the like have resulted in stagnation, monstrous debt, social upheaval, ethnic enclaves, stunted government, high taxes, disintigrating infrastructure, poor schools, high crime, clogged freeways, bad air, serious water issues, over-priced housing, crowding, loss of major industries, rampant unemployment and mean streets in everything that term connotes.

I take no joy in any of this. Rather, I wish I could turn back the clock to better times. But for these very real issues to be ignored, minimized or obfuscated is doing nothing positive to effect change and simply parallels the pandering of pettifogging politicians who talk the talk but cannot walk the walk.

I, for one, who left to seek a better quality of life elsewhere in retirement resent it keenly. If California was even a shadow of its former self I'd have stayed.

Diatribe over!
So I checked the weather in your neck of the woods and I see it's about 29 degrees? I think it's a bit colder here (23 degrees - "feels like 10" in NE OH), so yes, I can see why you're a bit shook up considering that you had to leave CA and come to 29 degrees in January. Spring should bring a new breath of life as the sunshine and warmer weather come.

Nasty weather (defined as cold, freezing, gray and ugly - according to me) seems to make things look worse than they really are. I do hope that you have a more pleasant day!

P.S. - in spite of all the calamities listed above, my goal is to still relocate to San Diego within the next two years.

Old 01-01-2010, 12:43 PM

2,404 posts, read 4,402,348 times
California is much like the nation itself. While both have not lived up to their potential, I think they are still the best going. I am a native Californian. Economics aside, I think that the natural beauty of California is unrivaled. Much of that, of course, has to do with the sheer size of the state.

I do understand your feelings though.

Old 01-01-2010, 12:45 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
What's the probability that 1) The situation in California won't improve and 2) The climate in Missouri will?

Old 01-01-2010, 12:47 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,942,396 times
Jeeze Curmudgeon, you seem like a jilted lover. You're in your new digs, enjoy it. Don't look back.

Old 01-01-2010, 01:00 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,521,589 times
He is, as he states, a curmudgeon. We have found out though, that he is driven not by reality, but by his prejudices.

California is a pretty scenic place

Old 01-01-2010, 01:04 PM

50,270 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Once you get used to Unions, debt and Illegal Aliens you'll be ok.

Old 01-01-2010, 01:05 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,475,285 times
When you leave, never look back. Only forward. It may be time to hang up your CD account.

Old 01-01-2010, 01:05 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna7 View Post
So I checked the weather in your neck of the woods and I see it's about 29 degrees? I think it's a bit colder here (23 degrees - "feels like 10" in NE OH), so yes, I can see why you're a bit shook up considering that you had to leave CA and come to 29 degrees in January. Spring should bring a new breath of life as the sunshine and warmer weather come.

Nasty weather (defined as cold, freezing, gray and ugly - according to me) seems to make things look worse than they really are. I do hope that you have a more pleasant day!

P.S. - in spite of all the calamities listed above, my goal is to still relocate to San Diego within the next two years.
I don't think it's nasty. I love four distinct seasons. Besides, after three winters in MN, three on the Korean DMZ and several in other snowy places, this is a piece of cake.

I truly hope you achieve your goal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
What's the probability that 1) The situation in California won't improve and 2) The climate in Missouri will?
LOL! About even! It's been many a year since we had a white Christmas like we had here; and it was here today and gone tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Jeeze Curmudgeon, you seem like a jilted lover. You're in your new digs, enjoy it. Don't look back.
You're right. Sometimes I feel that way. However, it's difficult to not look back when we have a combined six children and as many grandchildren still living there. Thus a bit of angst!

But beyond that, the digs are good!

Old 01-01-2010, 01:07 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,449,173 times
LOL at everybody attacking the weather in Missouri and posting pretty pictures of California. You can't defend the state's downward spiral, so just post pictures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California