Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 11:00 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,768,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
You sure it wouldn't be better if your kids went to a regular school?
I almost never LOL, but LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 02:38 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,070,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pippi333 View Post
We are native californians (born and raised in Ventura county). We have lived in Idaho for nearly 5 years and have been homeschooling for the past 3 years. Now it appears as though we will be moving back to CA (yay!), and I need to get my ducks in a row as far as homeschooling is concerned.

In Idaho, homeschooling laws are among the most lax in the country. We don't have to provide anything to any county or state officials, and we are allowed to use whatever curriculum we choose, teach whatever we want, and we don't even have to notify anyone that we homeschool.

I do keep many work samples and could easily provide proof of grade level learning in all academic subject areas. In California, are you ever required to actually show these things to anyone of authority??

Additionally, I've read the laws and see that keeping attendance records are required. We aren't required to do that here in ID (although we school year-round at our house so we actually surpass the typical 180 day school year). I will of course abide by the law and keep attendance records if required, but I'm curious as to whether or not California homeschoolers are required to show them to anybody? Do you submit them yearly or something like that?

Because it just seems like an annoyance, and a needless one at that if you are never required to actually show them to anybody.
EXTREMELY easy in CA. I did it for two years.
You have multiple options:
1)Sign up with the state yourself [it's called a personal affadavit. it's one page long and free. You can search for it online,and they even have a sample one for you to copy,already filled out. You basically choose a 'name for your school',and essentially have your own school,as long as you are only teaching your own children,it's quite straightforward. People seem to get panicky about this concept-but honestly,if you know how you want to homeschool,and don't feel the need to 'report' to anyone,this is the way to go. I filled it out once,and that was the end of it. I never received a reply or any correspondence from the state,and my son is now in a charter school that has a homeschool program,and I just enrolled him in this program,so no need to renew the personal affadavit.

2)Use an online school that has a curriculum. Rates are usually around $200 a year,sometimes much more. You enroll thru them,they file the paperwork,and obviously there is quite a range of curriculum/types of programs: montessori,waldorf,classical,back to basics,etc,etc,etc Do a search;you are NOT restricted to CA schools for this,since it's online,and in most cases,you don't even submit homework or assignments,you just enroll thru the school. In some cases,you have a teacher you work with;it's up to you.

3)Go thru the local school district,in Ventura or wherever you are,there are homeschool programs where you will find multiple options,usually:
*full time independent study student,but work with a certified teacher,usually meeting once per month
*on-site class options,ie,a class or two a week,or even one,two or 3 full days per week on-site
*optional activities for PE,field trips,etc.
These district programs are free,but obviously you work with a district teacher and the district's curriculum.

4)Private schools that offers an independent study option in your area.

5)Don't do anything. [see #1 above;you don't 'have' to do the affadavit-there are people who do not. I am not avocating this,just stating the obvious-some people don't do either. Thus far,with 40 million people and a very transient state,CA does not have surpeme tracking over individual movements.]

In any case,to answer you question,no,you do not have to submit anything if you file a personal affadavit;there's a link to the CA standards curriculum and what you are covering each grade level. But,you do not submit any samples or attendance records,with a personal affadavit. You agree to keep the records,so that theoretically,if they were needed,you would have them.
[whereas in oregon,they have 'homeschool liasons',and you are required to phone one in your area,upon registering as a homeschooler]

If you are enrolled with a program,esp. thru the district,you will cover the content for that year. I tried that at first,but my son was 7 and wanted to study egypt and they said it was for 6th grade; meanwhile,he was meant to cover democracy and citizenship (yea,like a 7 yr old is going to absorb that in a useful way for the future-maybe that's the idea?!?) Anyway...with the district or on-site programs,you would submit work samples on a regular basis;it's quite straightforward and the paperwork is very clear. The teachers are generally very helpful,and enthusiastic. Obviously,you can do extra beyond the curriculum,and most homeschooled kids do. But the state curriculum is online,for all who want to see what is being covered year-by-year,in terms of 'content and standards',in CA school districts.

CA is VERY receptive to homeschooling;i believe something like 250k children are homeschooled here. It's a large community-and you can find everything from unschooling to christian homeschooling to waldorf homeschool groups. IN fact,there are even public waldorf independent study programs [in northern california-where you spend a day or two on site if you want,or full time independent study,but you work with a waldorf public school teacher.] I have found support in schools and from teachers,as well. Actually,the least receptive or at most confused,responses I received when I homeschooled,were from new immigrants 'homeschool'? or foreigners visiting....lol And,in my city,there are homeschoolers located throughout-it's not just one particular area. Have you searched yahoo groups? I am sure there are ventura homeschool groups of various kinds that you can join. (or wherever you are going)

You will likely find any option you want,and are likely to find one that works for you. I am in an urban area,and there are multiple options,but you will find many in rural areas,as well.

While 'on the books' Idaho is the most lax (or pro-homeschool liberties),CA will present no problems for you,in my experience.

Last edited by lrmsd; 02-07-2010 at 02:48 PM.. Reason: error

Old 02-07-2010, 02:55 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,521,589 times
Quote:
You sure it wouldn't be better if your kids went to a regular school?
Generally, I find that when people tell me they homeschool their kid, I say thank god.

There is something supercilious about most homeschoolers.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:43 AM

405 posts, read 1,345,782 times
Maybe 'the Einstein thing' was really a compliment? So hard to determine tone with these...

Old 02-09-2010, 01:48 PM

btw,even if the state 'did' ask for work submission,they would not just randomly knock on yoru door one day,patiently waiting until you produced it. They would send you a letter or an email,and you would have time to produce the work samples....Chances are,the work you've been doing anyway would suffice. And there are always worksheets that you can have the kids do if you were to be asked-so that you can submit them.
To my knowledge,though,the state does not ask for samples,yet.
It's really more of a formality,and nothing whatsoever to stress about.

Last edited by lrmsd; 02-09-2010 at 01:48 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 02-09-2010, 01:53 PM

Huh.
Were you saying they were 'supercilious' because they homeschooled,or that they already were,so thank god all the supercilious people chose to homeschool,so they can sequester themselves in their little homeschool world and I don't have to deal w/them?
Either way,wow. Ignorance is not pretty. Neither is passive-agressiveness. Your comments are semi-veiled and have nothing to do with the OP's question.
And your particular exposure to certain types of homeschoolers does not make for a definition of those who do. You might notice my 'helpful' reply to the OP,that did not involve snark and snide comments of judgement;and hey,i've homeschooled!

why do people go to threads that they dont have an answer for (or helpful info for) on C-D anyway? I never understand this.

Oh,definition of your lovely term of choice for 'most homeschoolers that you've met':
The Word of the Day for December 08, 2007 is:

supercilious • \soo-per-SILL-ee-us\ • adjective
: coolly and patronizingly haughty Example Sentence:

Lucinda's beauty attracted many suitors, but her supercilious manner eventually drove them all away.
Did you know?

Arrogant and disdainful types tend to raise an eyebrow at anything they consider beneath them. The original supercilious crowd must have shown that raised-eyebrow look often, because the adjective "supercilious" derives from "supercilium," Latin for "eyebrow." (We plucked our adjective and its meaning from the Latin adjective "superciliosus.") "Supercilious" has been used to describe the censoriously overbearing since the late 1600s, but there was a time in the 1700s when it was also used as a synonym of another "supercilium" descendent, "superciliary" ("of, relating to, or adjoining the eyebrow"). Although the eyebrow sense of "supercilious" is now obsolete, it does help explain what ornithologist John Latham meant in 1782 when he described a "Supercilious K[ingfisher]" with a narrow orange stripe over its eyes.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:59 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,521,589 times
Quote:
Were you saying they were 'supercilious' because they homeschooled,or that they already were,so thank god all the supercilious people chose to homeschool,so they can sequester themselves in their little homeschool world and I don't have to deal w/them?
Yep, thank gawd for homeschool.

I figure if I have to get a teaching job, I will look for an orphanage.

Generally if a kid has problems it is easy to figure out where they came from.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:36 AM

9 posts, read 28,141 times
why is everyone's "to" showing in red(?)
I think just as long as you have records of you actually teaching your kids something, even if you don't know all the requirements of homeschooling, then you really should be okay.Did you check out the HSLDA website? they should have some helpful advice-http://www.hslda.org/laws/default.asp?state=cae. Hope this helps! Good luck!

Old 02-20-2012, 05:18 PM

2 posts, read 13,590 times
Smile Ventura County is a Great Place to Homeschool!

I'm in Ventura County and homeschool. We're in the Conejo School District boundaries and have had absolutely no problems at all. We've never had authorities come and ask for work samples or any authorities come here at all. Homeschooling, as long as you call it a "private school" is totally legal here. I have homeschooling friends all over the county, who also have never had any problems. We're out and about in the community on a daily basis with no questions except for the usual from people curious about the kids being at the store with me in the middle of the day. Curious people, not authorities have asked us questions.

Keeping attendance is easy. You can use a word program and make a calendar that lists months of the year and numbers 1-31. I just write "P" in a box for each day we have lessons. You could actually probably use a wall calendar, but the law states to use a "register," which I just keep in a notebook. We have filed as a private school. It's super easy and you just need to file online with the state each year between October 1 and October 15. The form is not difficult to fill out. That's pretty much it.

You can use whatever curriculum you want to. You can unschool, go through a charter, be eclectic, whatever you choose. We have park days here at least once a week and there are a couple of co-ops. Ventura County is great because there are a number of enrichment activities including enrichment classes through Conejo Parks and Recreation, homeschool art classes, there's a teacher in the city of Ventura who does homeschool history classes. There are a lot of opportunities here.

Here's a helpful website: HomeSchool Association of California - Home - The site is the HomeSchool Association of California. There's great information on the site along with a section called Legal 101 that has information in plain language about the laws here.

Homeschooling here in Ventura County is great. Good luck with your decision! Funny thing is- We're considering moving to Idaho. I guess if we do it'll be an even homeschooling family swap for the two states!

Old 02-20-2012, 05:21 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,039,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachkindy View Post
I'm in Ventura County and homeschool. We're in the Conejo School District boundaries and have had absolutely no problems at all. We've never had authorities come and ask for work samples or any authorities come here at all. Homeschooling, as long as you call it a "private school" is totally legal here. I have homeschooling friends all over the county, who also have never had any problems. We're out and about in the community on a daily basis with no questions except for the usual from people curious about the kids being at the store with me in the middle of the day. Curious people, not authorities have asked us questions.

Keeping attendance is easy. You can use a word program and make a calendar that lists months of the year and numbers 1-31. I just write "P" in a box for each day we have lessons. You could actually probably use a wall calendar, but the law states to use a "register," which I just keep in a notebook. We have filed as a private school. It's super easy and you just need to file online with the state each year between October 1 and October 15. The form is not difficult to fill out. That's pretty much it.

You can use whatever curriculum you want to. You can unschool, go through a charter, be eclectic, whatever you choose. We have park days here at least once a week and there are a couple of co-ops. Ventura County is great because there are a number of enrichment activities including enrichment classes through Conejo Parks and Recreation, homeschool art classes, there's a teacher in the city of Ventura who does homeschool history classes. There are a lot of opportunities here.

Here's a helpful website: HomeSchool Association of California - Home - The site is the HomeSchool Association of California. There's great information on the site along with a section called Legal 101 that has information in plain language about the laws here.

Homeschooling here in Ventura County is great. Good luck with your decision! Funny thing is- We're considering moving to Idaho. I guess if we do it'll be an even homeschooling family swap for the two states!
You may want to check the date of the last post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California