U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-09-2010, 05:54 PM

14,141 posts, read 14,771,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarks View Post
Don't like the desert eh? Trona is a dump, but a small dump, and close to DV. Barstow surprised me, I got there last year, and it wasn't too bad. Clean air, lots of bars, a new grocery store. Now TwentyNine Palms is pretty bad.
Let's just say my dad was born there and was happy the family moved to San Berdoo.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 06:43 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,234,371 times
Now, San Berdoo.....

I would prefer Barstow, at least you can get out of town in a couple of minutes. My kids used to go down to Berdoo for a big Soccer tournament, always happy to leave.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:38 PM

Best town in CA? Carmel. No question.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:45 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,234,371 times
It really is an impossible question, so much depends on what you want. For instance, Carmel is lovely, but the skiing stinks. Truckee is a great town, but surfing just doesn't carry water.

Some people want malls and nightclubs to be happy, some people barf when faced with a mall.

Funny thing about San Luis Obispo, there have been complaint on this board that there isn't "good shopping" yet the town is full of really fun and cool shops, but, it is short on the chain stores, so for many people, they require, chain stores to be happy.

I like Barstow, because you can get food and gas and get out into the desert,

Alturas really struck me, it is so clean up there, not much litter, and last time I was there, the only chain store was Ace Hardware, and there were no chain fast foods like McDonalds.

I personally, could not live in a town, on a block, with homes alongside. I have not lived in a neighborhood since I was 8 in Santa Maria.

"give me land, lots of land, under starry skies, don't fence me in"

Old 01-09-2010, 07:58 PM

Quote:
I like Barstow,
You realize you're the first person to ever say that.

Old 01-09-2010, 08:00 PM

8,860 posts, read 5,291,899 times
Quote:

I personally, could not live in a town, on a block, with homes alongside. I have not lived in a neighborhood since I was 8 in Santa Maria.

"give me land, lots of land, under starry skies, don't fence me in"
I understand your position, but with 40 M people in Cal and 300M in the USA, the notion of a ranch for all is not too feasible.

Now, if you did live in, say Alturas or Mount Shasta or Bishop, there would be no problem with finding open space. My experience has been that if you like hiking and taking walks out your door that is not always easy to do if you have less than 40 acres or so. I live in town, but I can walk along urban trails, parks, or bike paths and eventually work my way to the Pacific Crest Trail. All without firing up the car at all. I can also walk to work or walk myh son to school. So rural residential isn't for everyone either. Although small towns lack for nightlife, they are great for just simple living, providing you can find a job...

Old 01-09-2010, 08:08 PM

Quote:
I personally, could not live in a town, on a block, with homes alongside... "give me land, lots of land, under starry skies, don't fence me in"
Or as Edward Abbey used to say "if you can't p*** in your own front yard, you're livin' too close to town".

Old 01-09-2010, 10:30 PM

4 posts, read 4,643 times
You know... lots o place in Ca you could drive to go skiing in the morning... get back to go surfing by late afternoon... :-)
Best: San Luis Obispo...
Worst: Bakersfield... and Needles

Old 01-09-2010, 10:31 PM

18 posts, read 29,204 times
San Francisco, Sacramento and Eureka best places to stay!

Old 01-10-2010, 05:09 AM

11,738 posts, read 12,311,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Hmmm... best.... How about San Luis Obispo, Ventura, Chico, and Boonville.

Worst...Wasco, Compton, Barstow, and Los Banos.
Forgetting about Richmond on your worst list?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California