Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 03:53 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,118,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarks View Post
Here is a little bit of historical trivia for you. If you are out in Nevada, Eastern Oregon, Idaho, Montana and north Wyoming, and you run into "cowboys" or cowmen with the brims of their hats tilted up, they are not authentic.

The Authentic hat for that country is the California vaquero flat hat. In one of the videos I pointed you to, a couple of young buckaroos up in Montana made fun of cowboys with tilted brim hats.
Did they wear them that way anywhere in the 19th and early 20th centuries? Seems like that was a later 20th century style of Western hat, worn mainly in the Southwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 03:54 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,498,909 times
so move, why stay in such a hell hole?

Old 01-08-2010, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Did they wear them that way anywhere in the 19th and early 20th centuries? Seems like that was a later 20th century style of Western hat, worn mainly in the Southwest.
There really weren't any cowboy hats in the old west, the idea came from the movies, the brims originally were tilted up so light would get on the actor's face, which defeats the purpose of the hat. I guess those Texans modeled their "kit" on Hollywood.

The California flat hat goes back centuries through Mexico to Spain.

Old 01-08-2010, 04:02 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,691,577 times
Quote:
Not me, I hate that boil on the face of the desert. The publicity of Burning Man has served to draw so many people into the Black Rock country that true isolation has become hard to find.

Coyoteskye, I have tried to make clear that the old west is alive and well, I even gave you a website to pursue that information. Consider highway 101, East of it, stretching to Highway 33 are huge ranches, some are nearly complete Spanish Rancho's, There are still a few wild horse herds out there, the west lives there. On the far side of the San Joaquin north of Fresno and stretching to Red Bluff are more great ranches, interspersed with 150 year old towns. Let's cross the Sierra, from Ridgecrest to the Oregon border are more great ranches, and more wild horse herds.

There are many ghost towns in CA. I ran across a book of them yesterday in a box in the garage, all with their tales of murders and prostitutes and drinking and mining.

Here is a little bit of historical trivia for you. If you are out in Nevada, Eastern Oregon, Idaho, Montana and north Wyoming, and you run into "cowboys" or cowmen with the brims of their hats tilted up, they are not authentic.

The Authentic hat for that country is the California vaquero flat hat. In one of the videos I pointed you to, a couple of young buckaroos up in Montana made fun of cowboys with tilted brim hats.

Also, look to the gear, the Nevada and Montana ranchers use California style tack, including the two rein system, the Santa Barbara bit, and the split fork saddle.

A comment on Henry Miller; it was said that he could ride from Mexico to Canada and sleep on his own ground every night.

O.K. .... i hear you and i get it.
I have a very different relationship with the states of the intermountain west and i have a very different relationship with California and my perceptions come from my own inner and outer experiences (and there's a big difference between the CA i know and love and the "western" states that i know well but don't love) but, like i said, i have not spent time in most of the parts of California that you speak of and i am not a big history buff.
And even when i'm in Truckee (where i was born) i see the remnants of the past and the mining, and railroad, etc., etc. but it's so overwhelmed by everything else.
So thanks ... i've been educated.

Old 01-08-2010, 04:08 PM

You are welcome. A friend of mine calls California "a swamp thing clinging to the edge of the continent"

Parts surely are, but the best parts are still "west"

Joanne Meschery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

She lives or lived in Truckee, depending on your age you might have known her kids. Remember Truckee Book and Tea?

Or, how to make a small fortune in Truckee, bring a large fortune and open a books store downtown.

Old 01-08-2010, 04:10 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,760,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
California is about as "wild, wild west" as Massachusetts.
he says, from the sterile confines of über-urbanized OC.

Old 01-08-2010, 04:46 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,691,577 times
Quote:
You are welcome. A friend of mine calls California "a swamp thing clinging to the edge of the continent"

Parts surely are, but the best parts are still "west"

Joanne Meschery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

She lives or lived in Truckee, depending on your age you might have known her kids. Remember Truckee Book and Tea?

Or, how to make a small fortune in Truckee, bring a large fortune and open a books store downtown.

For me the best of California (and what CA is essentially about) is a future forwardness ... a cutting edge ... crest of the wave ... it's difficult to detect (especially in these degenerate times of the "collective", ie; masses) but it's here and in particular and as i perceive and experience, the coastal energy of the pacific is about the future >>>>>>>>>>>>> and there is no more revitalizing place in the entire country.

Last edited by coyoteskye; 01-08-2010 at 05:08 PM..

Old 01-08-2010, 07:28 PM

Quote:
There really weren't any cowboy hats in the old west, the idea came from the movies, the brims originally were tilted up so light would get on the actor's face, which defeats the purpose of the hat. I guess those Texans modeled their "kit" on Hollywood.

The California flat hat goes back centuries through Mexico to Spain.
No, curved brim hats preceded the movies. A lot of western men wore them with their Sunday Best and they then developed into working hats during the early to mid-20th century. Real cattlemen in the Southwest wore them in felt and straw after that and the big flat brimmed hats went out of style until resurrected by the movies in the 80s.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:43 PM

Quote:

The Authentic hat for that country is the California vaquero flat hat. In one of the videos I pointed you to, a couple of young buckaroos up in Montana made fun of cowboys with tilted brim hats..

Old 01-08-2010, 08:22 PM

Dang, a classic hollywood hat

Here is a flat hat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California