Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2010, 01:47 PM

3 posts, read 5,394 times

Advertisements

Hello good people of the great country America the father of four needs your opinion I have just acquired of the chance to immigrate to the great country; I know I will make it to the American dream but just to share any advice from the people. I am moving form London U.k to California. I have nice work here in UK as electronic development engineer. But weather and the living standard here is getting worse and worse what can I do if I move to California will I be okay considering here in United kingdom the color of a person doesn't really matter. By the way did I say that I am black British?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 02:29 PM

37,048 posts, read 41,998,003 times
Being a person of color. or black British, won't matter in CA either. In fact, most people are attracted to people with a British accent. Just research your job option vs COL. Your standard of living may not me much different here.

Old 01-10-2010, 04:01 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,696,343 times
It's not your color that is an issue although you should know that racism is still prevalent in this country ... more in some places than others.
The places in California where you most likely want to live (and there are definitely place in CA where you absolutely do not want to live) are extremely expensive.
Do you already have a job lined up? Quite a bit of money saved?
You should know that not only is the U.S. experiencing the worst economic crisis since the great depression, California has gotten (is getting) hit very hard ... probably harder than any other state in the country with an extremely high unemployment rate, people losing their jobs and losing their homes.
So, it would be unwise to come here without a job and/or enough money saved.
The cost of living here is very, very high in many parts of the state ... the parts where you'd most likely want to be.
However, if you're serious about coming, it would be helpful to provide more information about your budget, what kind of culture / people you'd like to be around, what kind of nature (do you want to be on the coast for example? the mountains? the desert? .... want winter rain? snow? etc., etc..) do you want the city? rural? small town?
California is a very big and diverse state so you need to be more specific about what your wanting and needing.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:47 PM

75 posts, read 590,041 times
I can't believe you are leaving the country of free health care
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California