Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 03:19 AM

9,894 posts, read 21,928,172 times

Advertisements

If anyone plans to move to ca keep in mind the state has no grace period on vehicle registration. The state/dmv loves it when people are late. Ill use my car (90 Tbird) as a example based on 2008 fees. My fees are $55.00 & due on or before 8/8/08. after 8/8/08 the fees increase to $66.00. After 8/18/08 they increase to $71.00. After 9/07/08 the fees increase to $86.00. After 11/06/08 they stay at $86.00.

To file a planned nonoperative is $17.00. After 8/8/09 its $28.00. After 8/18/08 its $31.00. After 9/07/08 its $48.00. You cant file a nonop after 11/06/08.

The DMV (dept of moron vehicles) say its a privledge to drive & not a right. Those rats sure do take our money though & penalize us big time when late. I can understand why many people register their cars out of state. The CHP has a snitch program. Why should i snitch on someone when the state i live in is stealing from me & everyone else. F*** the DMV!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 08:15 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,768,131 times
I hear that. And they have shortened DMV hours, too, due to budget cuts. So if you're a working person and have any business with the DMV you're pretty much screwed. What a racket and a travesty.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobE View Post
I hear that. And they have shortened DMV hours, too, due to budget cuts. So if you're a working person and have any business with the DMV you're pretty much screwed. What a racket and a travesty.
I went to the DMV in Redlands a few fridays ago. The line was out the door & around the corner. Needless to say i didnt go in. Unfortunately everything cant be done by mail. I plan to try again in august or sept to take my olds off a nonop,pay registration fees & get a temporary operating permit. Lets not forget the high fees the dmv imposes & the smog checks. Im not sure if ill even pass. The thieving state gets $8.25 per car that passes smog. Thats ALOT of money the creeps make off the people in ca.

Old 05-05-2009, 02:30 PM

837 posts, read 1,698,381 times
Can't all? most? of your DMV transactions be handled over the internet now?

Old 05-05-2009, 05:44 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,532,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle7 View Post
I went to the DMV in Redlands a few fridays ago. The line was out the door & around the corner. Needless to say i didnt go in. Unfortunately everything cant be done by mail. I plan to try again in august or sept to take my olds off a nonop,pay registration fees & get a temporary operating permit. Lets not forget the high fees the dmv imposes & the smog checks. Im not sure if ill even pass. The thieving state gets $8.25 per car that passes smog. Thats ALOT of money the creeps make off the people in ca.
Yep! And in 2010, Diesels 98 and up have smog requirements as well.

My dad is an ASE certified high level master tech and ALL he does now is smog and smog repair because California is a bit wacky...

Old 05-05-2009, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treeluvr View Post
Not when you purchase a privately owned car. Also if you let your auto ins drop the dmv suspends your registration. You have to pay a $14.00 fee & show proof of valid ins at the dmv before the dmv will validate your auto registration. I was told thats a illegal fee but no one will challenge it. The ca dmv is one of the greedyist in the nation besides new york state...UGH !!!

Old 05-05-2009, 06:25 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,308,419 times
Quote:
IfThe DMV (dept of moron vehicles) say its a privledge to drive & not a right. Those rats sure do take our money though & penalize us big time when late. I can understand why many people register their cars out of state. The CHP has a snitch program. Why should i snitch on someone when the state i live in is stealing from me & everyone else. F*** the DMV!
Ummm, Eagle, I think you need to soar out of state and find a new aerie. All this negativity isn't good for either your physical or mental health.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:27 PM

14,530 posts, read 19,980,973 times
Quote:
If anyone plans to move to ca keep in mind the state has no grace period on vehicle registration.
I don't understand why there's any problem with that. It's due when it's due. If the state started listening to hard luck stories they'd have to hire hundreds of DMV employees to screen them.

Your rent is due when it's due. Your taxes are due when they're due. Your property tax is due when it's due. There's no grace period on any of them except maybe if you have a kind landlord.

Quote:
Originally Posted by treeluvr View Post
I've had to go to DMV only twice in more than a dozen years. Once it was for a new DL picture because the old one was many years old. The other time it was because I had to replace a lost plate by turning in the old one and I didn't want to hassle sending it in by registered mail.

I've never understood why so many people go to DMV when they can handle it by mail. I've always paid my registration renewal by mail. I've never once gone into the DMV to pay it.

Quote:
Not when you purchase a privately owned car. Also if you let your auto ins drop the dmv suspends your registration. You have to pay a $14.00 fee & show proof of valid ins at the dmv before the dmv will validate your auto registration. I was told thats a illegal fee but no one will challenge it. The ca dmv is one of the greedyist in the nation besides new york state...UGH !!!
(bolded) That's a pretty good idea! I'm glad that at least somebody is verifying that people are carrying the legally required insurance. If you let your insurance lapse, whose fault is that? Not the state for sure.

Okay, private purchase. I can see maybe that might be an exception where you have no choice but to show up. I don't know for sure but I bet you could do it at the Auto Club too. You'd have to join but joining the Auto Club is bound to be cheaper than late payment fees. You can load up on free maps while you're there.

I don't understand all the complaining. If you don't send it in on time that's your fault. If you don't have valid insurance that's your fault. If you don't like the new higher rate, well, the majority of California's voters voted those people into office, so again it's the voter's fault. (You get a brownie point if you voted against them.)

If you didn't vote then you have no legitimate right to complain.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Ummm, Eagle, I think you need to soar out of state and find a new aerie. All this negativity isn't good for either your physical or mental health.
Well im outspoken. I dont keep it inside & its my right. NO one can do a damn thing about it. I respect people that express/voice their feelings & are not submissive. I do get the info out their & thats all that counts. As far as auto ins goes sometimes people forget their renewal/premium is due. The dmv profits from that. I do vote & i didnt vote for any of the corrupt legislature. I will though vote NO on propositions 1A-1-F. Many states (like colo) do have grace periods.

Old 05-06-2009, 10:23 AM

14,530 posts, read 19,980,973 times
Quote:
As far as auto ins goes sometimes people forget their renewal/premium is due. The dmv profits from that.
The only way to forget your renewal/premium date is to ignore the renewal notice.

Suppose you forget to renew your insurance and then you are involved in a traffic accident, and let's assume for the sake of the argument that you are at fault. Now you're in a situation where the state has mandatory requirements that every car must be insured, and you've caused injury to innocent persons or have damaged their property. Will you be able to compensate them for their loss? That's what your insurance is for, but you forgot to renew it so you don't have insurance. What now?

About the only way the government can force people do something is to take something else away as punishment. In some cases they take away money or property, either fining you or confiscating your auto. In more extreme cases they take away your freedom by putting you in jail or prison for a short period or for the rest of your life. Taking something away is the only tool the government has to force you to carry insurance.

The requirement that you must carry auto insurance has no teeth and is not enforceable unless there are penalties if you don't comply. That fine is the stick that they use to beat you into remembering to carry insurance.

I have no sympathy for anybody who lets their insurance lapse and then complains about the fee or fine. You are deflecting responsibility when you say that the DMV is profiting from your mistake. In reality you are the person who caused your problems by your sloppy management of your affairs. The auto insurance requirement is not a joke. It is a mandatory part of operating a vehicle in this state, and if you can't follow the requirements then you shouldn't be driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California