Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 05:44 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,073,729 times

Advertisements

The reduced state budget support has resulted in 12 of the 23 California State University campuses being declared impacted for incoming Freshman for Fall 2010. That is double the number of impacted campuses from Fall 2009.

Campus-wide impaction means they do not have the capacity or resources to accept all applications received during the initial application period.

Impacted campuses for in-coming Freshmen for Fall 2010 are: Chico, Fresno, Fullerton, Long Beach, Northridge, Pomona, San Diego, San Francisco, San Jose, San Luis Obispo, San Marcos and Sonoma.

Impacted campuses will give admission preference to local high school students from the campus' local service area. Applicants still need to also meet minimum admission requirements.

Each CSU has a local service area as part of the concept of making higher education available close to home. The local service area consists of the counties or cities closest to the campus, for example at San Diego State the local service area is San Diego County south of Highway 56 plus Imperial County. North of Highway 56 is part of San Marcos' service area.

Potential Freshman from outside the campus service areas of impacted campuses will be rank-ordered for acceptance using factors such as grades, test scores, or other criteria. Offers will be made to students in this group based on available capacity.

Freshman applications received after Nov. 30, 2009 from potential students at the impacted campuses will not be accepted, local resident or not.

The other 11 campuses will still accept applications as long as they have openings for Fall 2010, except for individual majors that might be impacted. The other campuses are Bakersfield, Channel Islands, Dominguez Hills, East Bay, Humboldt, Los Angeles, Maritime Academy, Monterey Bay, Sacramento, San Bernardino and Stanislaus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 12:50 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
The community colleges are feeling the pinch too but they have more flexability I think. My son started CC this year and had no problems getting the classes he wanted. But my daughter told me her major has become extremely impacted over the last couple of years at CSU Chico, and the budget for TA's and the necessary technology just isn't there.

Old 10-06-2009, 04:34 PM

12,773 posts, read 14,983,025 times
Woah, what a horrible time in CA to be a new college student, hoping to start right after gradutatingf from high school! I'm glad I'm NOT in that predicament, although, I am trying to be a grad student at one of the CSUs for spring 2010.

I hope I still get in. The thing is, what I'm trying for is in a VERY HIGH demand field & it's a completely ONLINE program, so that's a different situation than the regular general ed person who plans to drive on campus for their classses.

I wish ALL new college students the best of luck trying to get in during this rough time!

Old 10-07-2009, 12:14 AM

197 posts, read 977,147 times
this is really short sighted by CA politicians. What do you think is going to happen in 4-5 years from now? These kids will graduate (at least those that went to school), but how about those that couldn't get into the school of choice? This will only hurt CA in the long run.

Old 10-07-2009, 10:00 AM

1,044 posts, read 2,768,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrzod View Post
this is really short sighted by CA politicians. What do you think is going to happen in 4-5 years from now? These kids will graduate (at least those that went to school), but how about those that couldn't get into the school of choice? This will only hurt CA in the long run.
It will give companies the excuse to complain even more about the lack of qualified citizens, and the need to expand the H-1B program. I guess this bodes well for their profit margins, so perhaps these kids who miss the boat on education can get rich by investing in the stock market. No big deal, this is California/America, no one really wants to work anyway.

Old 10-13-2009, 12:55 AM

4,932 posts, read 12,761,515 times
It is still farley easy to get into San Marcus and San Jose State. At Northridge, you needed a 3250 index score to get in. Every year it's getting harder for students to get into impacted CSUs from community colleges and high school.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
It is still farley easy to get into San Marcus and San Jose State.
Not for this fall, San Marcus and San Jose will now give local residents priority because of impaction.

San Jose State:
Quote:
SJSU receives applications from more eligible students than there is space for, thus meeting the minimum requirements may not be sufficient to gain you admission.

Additional factors taken into consideration that will affect undergraduate admission:
  1. Local and non-local classification
  2. Academic qualifications
  3. Success in meeting required supplemental criteria
http://info.sjsu.edu/web-dbgen/narr/admission/rec-1159.html
San Marcos:
Quote:
Prospective students from outside of CSUSM's local service area are welcome to apply for admission during the priority application period; however, CSU systemwide impaction will be utilized -- higher admission criteria, wait lists, academic program impaction, and other options. These students will only be admitted if enrollment space is available after local service area applicants have been accommodated.
CSUSM: Impaction Information

Old 10-13-2009, 10:32 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,761,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoFacts View Post
Not for this fall, San Marcus and San Jose will now give local residents priority because of impaction.

San Jose State:

San Marcos:
well, duh they still give priority to local admission. but it is still easy to get into them. i got into san jose easy. the other top 10 r different. most schools will accept anyone with 2900 or 3000. csun is at 3250 to get in, and san francisco state is at 3100.

Old 10-14-2009, 12:29 PM

Well, duh I'm talking about the future not what happened in the past.

You got into San Jose for Fall 2010? The application period for that semester just opened October 1, they haven't accepted anyone for next year yet.

While San Jose was not impacted in the past, it will be for the coming Fall. That means, yes it will be tougher to get in than it was in the past.

SJSU has already announced that test score minimums will be higher than the current year. There will also be fewer freshmen admitted in Fall 2010, about 25% fewer than for Fall 2008 (last year).

They also reduced the total number of students on campus this year by 10% and will cut it again for 2010.

At the same time applications to SJSU have gone up.

What happens when something is in short supply and at the same time more people want it? The price goes up.

In this case the price of admission (grades, test scores, etc) will be much higher for Fall 2010 than it was when you applied.

I don't think it will be as easy as you make it out to be. Don't assume your past experience will apply in the next academic year.

I know that the Business and Engineering schools at SJSU are saying a minimum of 3200 for non-Santa Clara County High School Seniors to be considered, as are many other majors.

Last edited by FresnoFacts; 10-14-2009 at 12:47 PM..

Old 10-16-2009, 09:33 PM

314 posts, read 935,978 times
CSU East Bay is impacting it's Busines Administration major in which you have to have a supplemental application. That's going to make it very competitive to get in on that popular major.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California