Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2010, 11:34 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,318,011 times

Advertisements

Insane air board's new role: Tire Nazis - SignOnSanDiego.com

"CARB is proposing to require every repair dealer to check the inflation of every tire during repair to improve mpg for all vehicles which, in theory, is meritorious.

However (the) regs. CARB’s pushing through (released this week and subject to a 15 day comment period) ... provides that the only times that consumers may decline a check and inflate service—they can never decline the service if it’s offered for free—is when they are charged for services AND if they can PROVE (with DOCUMENTATION!) that they’ve had their tires checked and inflated in the last 30 days, or if they WILL do so within the next week. It is unclear, but possible, that CARB could take enforcement action against the consumer if they don’t follow through with their promise?! "
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 12:34 AM

5,113 posts, read 19,686,686 times
I see a problem stemming from those of us that have our tires inflated with nitrogen. Most service centers do not possess that capability and may inflate the tire unknowingly.

Old 01-14-2010, 02:50 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,282,550 times
I purposely run mine low in the winter because I do a greater than average amount of snow driving.

Old 01-14-2010, 03:28 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,318,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
I purposely run mine low in the winter because I do a greater than average amount of snow driving.
I guess after some hose jockey pumps them up to 40psi w/o your permission, you'll have to go around the block and let it back out.

Old 01-14-2010, 03:32 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,312,623 times
Instead of a 7.0 earthquake in Haiti which is a very poor nation in which most people probably wish they could afford anything with tires, couldn't there be a big one in CA that dumps uber-liberal, nanny government proponents into the ocean, never to be seen or heard from again?

Old 01-14-2010, 06:06 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,499,508 times
Quote:
Not sure what that bought you, I never heard of such a thing, and I lived on a ranch outside Truckee for 30 years and commuted 100 miles a day throughout the winter.

I am convinced that the smaller the tire footprint is on the snow, the better the traction, more pounds per square inch pushing down. Nothing funnier than seeing those jacked up pickups with wide tires spinning circles down the middle of the road (unless they are headed for you)

My dad thought the Model T was a great snow and mud tire, as the narrow tires would punch through to solid ground underneath.

It would interesting to see the science on proper air pressure and gas mileage, I know it is on the internet somewhere.

Last edited by Clarks; 01-14-2010 at 06:23 PM..

Old 01-14-2010, 06:29 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,504,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
I see a problem stemming from those of us that have our tires inflated with nitrogen. Most service centers do not possess that capability and may inflate the tire unknowingly.
I run a blend of 75% nitrogen

Old 01-14-2010, 07:22 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,073,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Instead of a 7.0 earthquake in Haiti which is a very poor nation in which most people probably wish they could afford anything with tires, couldn't there be a big one in CA that dumps uber-liberal, nanny government proponents into the ocean, never to be seen or heard from again?
Everybody in the theater where I live cheered during that scene!!

Old 01-14-2010, 09:12 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,196,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
Name of the film please, any one that shows all the far left loons being deep sixed would be on my must see list. On the topic, this is just more madness from the ever increasing stranglehold that government is imposing on its citizens. If it actually becomes law, I will openly defy it. Things like this are reasons why so many are fleeing California and why so many more wish to. Oh yes, I check my air pressure at least once a month and usually inflate a couple of pounds high, and I sure as hell am not going to have some government lackey tell me when and where to check the air or demand a certificate of some sort.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:35 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,901,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
Are you referring to 2012, where apparently Santa Monica (I guess) is sliding into the ocean?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California