U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-18-2010, 09:14 AM

2,014 posts, read 3,365,693 times
Quote:
Entitlement programs are unconstitutional.
Really? Show me. And while you are writing tell us where you stand on "under god" in the pledge of allegiance and on creche displays at Christmas on public property, Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 05:25 PM

7,420 posts, read 8,106,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artisan10 View Post
The government can’t give something to someone without first stealing it from somebody else. Entitlement programs are unconstitutional. People need to be weaned off government programs and figure out ways to solve their problems without using the force of government to do it for them.
Taking away government won't take away the use of force, it will just deregulate it--in other words, might makes right, the law of tooth and claw. Even the parts of government you probably like (like police, the army and freeways) cost money that is generated by taxes.

Are you advocating a return to a Dark Ages style state, where there was no central government and power was in the hands of the most brutal strongmen? Or do you think that men are angels and will suddenly realize the error of their ways and stop stealing, killing and brutalizing each other if the government were to disappear?

Old 01-18-2010, 06:12 PM

8,992 posts, read 5,766,360 times
Obviously, there is an element of truth to both the personal responsibility and government is necessary viewpoints. Compromise is key, but that is bad for talk radio ratings and, I guess, blog discussions. This thread has devolved into a depressing string of platitudes. These topics were discussed 200 years ago with much more substance and grit. When will we move beyond the mindless shouting to a dialog that suggests folks in this country often get a college education and can do better than their ancestors?

What about getting back to the OP with his/her $15 SSI hit. Is that necessary? Or is it a small price to pay in the current fiscal times?

Old 01-18-2010, 07:04 PM

8,315 posts, read 10,092,908 times
Gov benedict arnold is a idiot coward & liar. Hes a total moron & has lost MANY peoples respect. His approval rating is 22%. Need i say more.

Old 01-18-2010, 11:32 PM

1,966 posts, read 2,715,712 times
eagle7:

I'm not entirely satified with Arnold either, but you have to take into consideration that the State Legislature is full of incompetent individuals. Many of them with greater incompetence that Arnold.

Also, the Governor, and the President, do not have the ability to entirely call the shots. The system was made that way by design. It is commonly referred to as "the system of checks and balances" in just about any US Government 101 course you take in this country.

Old 01-19-2010, 01:46 AM

315 posts, read 571,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedely View Post
No. The disabled make up a LARGE fraction of individuals on SSI. People who are were born too mentally or physically ill (spina bifida, mental retardation, Low's syndrome, trisomy 21, Cordelia De Lang syndrome, cerebral palsy, devastating injuries, autism), as well as those who have been ravaged by other diseases, can get SSI. Also, the elderly, and people who have gone blind can utilize these services. These are people who, if left "on their own", will not be able to earn a decent living. The people who care for them (their parents or another relative, or a guardian) often spend a good portion of the day taking care of these disabled. It is a full time "job", and it is very difficult for them to get out and go to work, though some still do. But the stupid people will still argue "If some can do it, why can't they all do it?" If they bothered themselves to really think that not all situations apply to everyone, they'd keep their ignorant traps shut.

Now if you still think SSI benefits are easy to get for anyone, you're not as smart as you think you are. If you want to go debate welfare, wic, or other types of assistance, there are other threads for that. Or start one of you're own.

You have probably never taken care of anyone who is disabled, or been personally involved with someone who could not support themselves, and needed benefits such as SSI. That's why you're so thick.
I have a friend who takes care of two family members who are severely disabled and I dont know how she does it. But I do know that if she didnt do it they would have to be institutionalized. There is no way they could care for themselves. She also works part-time because she cannot work full-time and do all the care that they need. And you are right that is a full-time job.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:04 AM
Status: "Give just a little of yourself to others." (set 14 days ago)

48,975 posts, read 40,391,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartfocus View Post
Minor to you, but not to us struggling while paying full market rent! He cut it three times last year, why harm the poor and elderly over his budget problems?
As for the elderly, the SS benefits are not controlled by the state so you can't blame that on your governor. The rest, yes, it is almost impossible to live on your income. I am sure you get food stamps, shop at food banks and are on medi-cal which does help you in many ways, but still it isn't much money. My heart goes out to you, but then, what would you expect the state to do? It isn't only SSI that has suffereed, every program has while taxes keep going up. You have a couple of options, 1-deal with the problem cause you certainly can't change it or 2-move to a different state with a lower cost of living.

Nita

Old 01-19-2010, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludachris View Post
Yet he can't raise taxes. Everyone is going to feel the pain with cuts. But what else can be done? The California voters will have to endure this, as they are the ones who voted for all of the unaffordable services in the past which has put CA in this situation.

I'm not saying I don't feel for your situation, I'm just saying I can't see any other way to go about fixing the budget situation - which, by the way, is not only "his" problem. It's the voters' problem. You can thank your neighbors for this, but you can't blame Arnold. He's got to make a lot of cuts to fix what the people voted for. It's the people of CA who are to blame.

Someone should propose a bill that prevents the voters from being able to vote in more programs than the state can pay for - force the voters to be responsible. And then, when the state makes less money to support those programs, there needs to be a black and white plan for prioritizing the programs so that they all get equal and fair cuts - this way the lobbyists have less influence.
In AR we have to have a balanced budget or put it to the voters to decide.

Nita

Old 01-19-2010, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Without getting into the moral arguments surrounding this issue, let's at least use the correct terms. The federal Supplemental Security Income (SSI) provided to some aged, blind and disabled is outside the authority of the state to change in any way. It's the State Supplementary Payment (SSP) program that is voluntary for the state and may be raised or lowered as the state finances require. Lastly, the funds for helping those receiving SSI/SSP and sometimes collected by family members come from the In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS) program which is also voluntary for the state, is means tested and was designed to keep frail people in their own homes and out of institutions.

In conclusion:

1) The primary funding sourse, SSI, is federal and the state has no say over award amounts.
2) The supplemental payments are solely and voluntarily state provided and the state can raise, lower or discontinue them.
3) Payment for in-home workers for the needy disabled also comes from the state IHSS program which is also voluntary for the state and can be changed or discontinued by the state.
Thanks for explaining it much better than I could. People do have to understand what is controlled by the state and what is controlled by the federal government plus what is SSI.

Nita

Old 01-19-2010, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarks View Post
I imagine this person figures helping those folk in Haiti is a waste of money, but that invading Iraq was a great idea.
It probably is a waste of money but it has to be done. Haiti is a no win situation and it is very sad...

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California