Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 04:57 AM

2 posts, read 3,381 times

Advertisements

Hey!
i am looking for some advice so hopefully some of you guys can help me out. I live in england and with a couple of mates we are looking to spend a couple of weeks in California, end of March begining of April sort of time. i know a couple of weeks is not long but we want to do as much as possible. This is were you guys come in! we have been told so many things that we need to see or do but we need a better plan. in your opinions what is the must see and do things in california?? we want to spend some time partying as well as seeing the sights so where is the best place for that?? we are all 24. thanks alot to all those who can help, greatly apreciated!!!

take it easy

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 08:06 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,248,320 times
Fly into San Francisco and spend a couple of days in the city seeing all the sights including Fisherman's Wharf, Cable Cars, Nob Hill, Golden Gate Park, etc. Rent a car and drive down the coast through Monterey and Carmel, visit the mission in Carmel, eat lunch on the Monterey pier. Drive further South to Point Lobos and hike out to see the beautiful rocky coastline there and the Sea Otters. Stop in for a beer at Nepenthe and then go to Big Sur. Keep driving all the way down the coast on Highway 1 stopping wherever strikes your fancy. Stop in and see Santa Barbara then head to L.A. Do all the Hollywood, L.A. sightseeing stuff (Beverly Hills, Rodeo Drive, eat Mexican food on Olveira Street, Venice, and Santa Monica). Drive down the coast through coastal Orange County to see Newport and Laguna. Take the 5 to San Diego and visit the zoo, and various other sights around there. Fly back home.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:21 AM

233 posts, read 743,987 times
best nightlife will be in west hollywood, second would be san diego's nightlife (gas lamp, pac beach) if you make it that far, the nightlife takes a big drop in orange county and santa barbara (state street), san francisco has some good nightlife but the girls are better looking in southern california anyways.

Old 01-15-2010, 04:14 PM

22 posts, read 45,485 times
Can I come with you guys? Dang, sounds like my old college break weeks! You'll have a great time.

Old 01-15-2010, 08:46 PM

18 posts, read 61,546 times
I agree with first poster, possibly start in San Fran, a few days there. One nice exursion from SF may be Napa Valley to the north (wines) If not then just head south a long the coast. A drive from SF to LA is a must. If you can after LA, head south though Orange County, Laguna Beach is a really nice surf town, and San Diego really has a nice downtown, which is a blast at night. Have fun.

Old 01-15-2010, 08:51 PM

53 posts, read 125,929 times
The road trip is the best way to see a lot. If you had time to go north from SF up to Garberville or Eureka it's pretty and different than the rest of California, but it would take 2 extra days... If you head down from San Francisco to LA/San Diego, I would recommend stopping in Santa Cruz on the way, about 80 miles south of San Francisco. There are redwood forests outside town, have lunch at the harbor, check the surf at Steamer Lane, spend an hour on Pacific Avenue, drive along the coast to Capitola - lots of good beaches except when it's foggy. The nightlife isn't stellar but you might catch a good night. I agree with the person about Point Lobos, Carmel, Big Sur, and if I was being a tourist I would stop at Hearst Castle in San Simeon.

In San Francisco, the Mission district is a fun place to go out at night nowadays, also North Beach is nice... hope you have fun!

Old 01-16-2010, 09:26 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,248,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadley831 View Post
if I was being a tourist I would stop at Hearst Castle in San Simeon.
Not sure it would be that interesting to Brits. They can see the same thing at Windsor Castle or Blenheim.

Old 01-16-2010, 11:11 AM

2 posts, read 3,381 times
Thanks alot for the help guys! we have just booked flights. flying to vegas and then going to get an internal to San Diego and work our way up the coast to San Fran to fly back. alot of good suggestions and going to fit in as much as possible. Does anyone know of good places to stay in LA? wana spend some time in Hutington beach and Santa monica, is that a good idea?

Old 01-16-2010, 12:11 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,724,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Stop in for a beer at Nepenthe and then go to Big Sur.
You're there already.

Old 01-16-2010, 01:06 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,521,234 times
Quote:
Does anyone know of good places to stay in LA? wana spend some time in Hutington beach and Santa monica, is that a good idea?
They are big cities, part of the megapolis of Los Angeles. I am not fond of that area, but, here is something that is a hoot. Go to Santa Monica, to the beach, rent bicycles, and pedal south along the bicycle/skate path, ride carefully, there will be young ladies roller blading in outfits that will cause you to have accidents, multiple times (caution, do not ride over your tongue). The Beach scene on a nice day, is something to see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California