Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 02:00 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,186,268 times

Advertisements

Seems that the idea being proposed is along the lines of what kind of car do you drive, home do you live in, consumer products do you purchase, clubs that you belong to, boat or watercraft do you own, airplane that you fly, motorcycle do you ride, ect, ect, ect.

The problem with that idea is you can't always know what someone is worth by seeing what they purchase. All you can see is what they spent or owe the bank. I know a lot of people that are trying to keep score by purchasing what have you. I know a lot more that are about to lose a home, car, or what have you because of trying to keep score. In this debt laden society that we live in it is much easier to look wealthy than to be wealthy. We have so many that like to buy on time. Who in their right mind would buy clothes with a consumer credit card with no intent to pay the card off when the bill arives? Saying that I would wager that many in this forum have done just that.

Retail locations don't care so much as who has how much money as they do on who is going to walk into a store and plunk down some green or in many cases plastic. As long as they have a base of people that are willing to shell out cash in their direction they will gladly build a store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 03:04 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,703,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
$75k household income is upper middle class? LOL, no. In most parts of California, that's barely getting by in an apartment. Throw in a couple of kids and that's almost poverty.
That's an average don't forget. I am guessing i meant it's a monthly income compared to as an annual income.

Also, Im a city planning major.

I guess classifying cities by income was not smart, and that I should look more so at the stores and neighborhoods.

SLO has a good amount of upper middle class neighborhoods, and thus has a small lifestyle center like Fresno (Fig Garden).

Old 02-04-2010, 10:03 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,186,268 times
I would say that in my part of Oxanrd and Ventura upper middle class would start at $120,000 or so. Anything less is just getting by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California