U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 05:10 PM

2,893 posts, read 7,586,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
One of our cars is a 2000 Hyundai Accent with 118,000 plus miles and it has always passed. My thought is that if you maintain your car regullarly and take care of it, change the oil, filters, ect that you should for the most part be fine.
yep, my car is 13 years old, always well maintained, has almost 130,000 miles on it and i've never had a problem passing the smog check test (knock on wood).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 05:51 PM

19,134 posts, read 13,425,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
One of our cars is a 2000 Hyundai Accent with 118,000 plus miles and it has always passed. My thought is that if you maintain your car regullarly and take care of it, change the oil, filters, ect that you should for the most part be fine.
Yep. That and only install approved aftermarket parts if doing upgrades or performance enhancing. My dad is a mechanic (ASE master certified technician and has been for over 20 years) and he says the #1 reason he fails smog in our area is dumbasses using cheap replacement parts, or doing repair work in their backyard or by uncertified techs.

If you have a stock car (or if things have been replaced, approved parts) with clean exhaust (no cracks, no rust, no leaks etc., that's also another thing that gets caught) then you should be fine.

Old 02-17-2010, 06:19 AM

220 posts, read 244,020 times
Maybe try burning high octane fuel for a tank or two before the smog check, change the spark plugs, air filter. Simple, cheap and easy to do yourself stuff.

I am a resident of California, but have been serving the military for the last 8 years all over the USA. I bought a 1996 Civic in Florida and am not sure that "50 States" emissions was done by Honda as early as 1996, but I did find this exeption that I believe I fall under

Before Buying a Vehicle From Out of StateóBe Sure You Can Register It in California (FFVR 29)

Quote:
Exceptions

As usual, there are a few exceptions included in the law. As a California resident or business you may be able to register a 49-State vehicle if you:
  • Obtained it as part of a divorce or inheritance settlement.
  • Purchased it to replace a vehicle stolen while you were using it out of state.
  • Purchased it to replace a vehicle which was destroyed or made inoperative beyond reasonable repair while you were using it out of state.
  • Were on active military duty outside California, and you registered the vehicle in the state of your last military service.
I didn't find any farther info on it and of course will go to the source later when I get there.....but a little peace of mind now would be great. Does that exception mean I don't need to smog my 49-state car? Or that they have a different set of standards on the tail-pipe machine for my car?

Old 02-18-2010, 01:21 PM

2,147 posts, read 2,031,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
I have a 2004 Nissan that I bought brand new in Feb 2004 and for the first time I received a notice that I require a smog check for registration renewal. Now, I thought vehicles 6 model years old or less are exempted. Mine will be 6 model years old this year so why am I receiving this notice?
Um,this is the 6 year mark. 2010-2004= 6.
04-05
05-06
06-07
07-08
08-09
09-10
and we are now in feb. 2010,hence your 6 yr mark.
simple math error.
i can't believe i just took the time to type all that.
oh brother.
do the math,people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California