Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 07:00 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,520,656 times

Advertisements

They do let Sac State students in, that is why they have an ELD program
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 07:07 PM

60 posts, read 270,831 times
The party scene at Chico has actually quieted down over the last few years. I live downtown, and it's never all that loud. Also, the amount of crime isn't as high as previously mentioned. Plus, the trashy druggies live in Magalia and Durham, there aren't so many in Chico. Downtown is nice and old-fashioned, and there is also a big commercial center located in the area surrounding the new mall. There's a pretty large cineplex here, and there's also Bidwell Park, which is one of the largest municipal parks in the nation. It's amazing.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:08 PM

Hard to beat a summer evening in Bidwell Park

Old 02-05-2010, 12:06 PM

405 posts, read 1,345,511 times
Chico might have more 'party' than other schools, if for no other reason, than there's not a ton of other social entertainment within close proximity. My dad wouldn't let me consider it in 1985 because it was bad. In 2010, if my kid didn't qualify for a prestigious program like Sac State, certainly Chico would be a fine second choice.

Old 02-05-2010, 12:30 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,743,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shope View Post
lol, I had no desire to go to Chico. I went to a far better school. I had some relatives and friends that went there so I would visit fairly often, my Dad's side of the family also lives in the area. Most of them just did whatever they wanted to, barely did homework and rarely studied for tests, and they were in the "harder" programs at Chico. When I went to their graduation I could not believe how many people were graduating, and this was only one ceremony of many. Handing degrees out like candy.

I am not saying that Chico is a top 25 "party" school because it has fallen hard from those times. What they do now is not really party in the traditional college sense. Now it's more dopers, meth heads and binge drinking than anything else. Just trying to give the OP a serious warning about going there. I had a lot of other friends who transffered out of there after the first year as it was not what they expected. The park area is nice though.

Last time I went to Chico for my cousin's graduation someone carjacked another person outside of a house party, good times.
Chico State is what you make of it. Both my girls did not attend a single party until they went to the senior party put on by the department. They were both non drinkers. No, they are not ugly. LOL. One graduated with two BA's and studied very, very hard.

Old 02-05-2010, 12:32 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,743,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarks View Post
Hard to beat a summer evening in Bidwell Park
Or luch at Smok'n Moes. Best bbq sauce on the planet. Or a glass of wine at Creekside Cellers. The propietor has the best choice of wines we have found and we miss it very, very much. We had a practice in Chico for 12 years plus and loved going to the wine tasting on Friday's to unwind. It has a small town feel to it with all the bling a big city can give you. I think I am homesick.

Old 02-05-2010, 03:23 PM

433 posts, read 1,618,924 times
Quote:
Sac State is an excellent trade school.
I am not saying Sac State is a great school but it is clearly >Chico.

Old 02-05-2010, 03:45 PM

Sac State is just another commuter school. No one brags about going or having gone to Sac State, it is just the last 2 years of ARC.

Now, in the vocational arts a commuter school like Sac State should be better than Chico. Just like community colleges are usually better for vocational training than 4 year schools.

Chico is much more than a vocational school, it is, among other things, a community, in a community. I got a helluvan education at Chico, and had a fine life at Chico. I attended there after years in the military some of which throughly sucked, and found a congenial home, with congenial people, and professors that knew their stuff, and taught it.

It is a great town, with great parks, and great people, and close to great stuff. It is the only decent town to live in in the Central Valley.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:09 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,757,898 times
Quote:
Sac State is just another commuter school. No one brags about going or having gone to Sac State, it is just the last 2 years of ARC.

Now, in the vocational arts a commuter school like Sac State should be better than Chico. Just like community colleges are usually better for vocational training than 4 year schools.

Chico is much more than a vocational school, it is, among other things, a community, in a community. I got a helluvan education at Chico, and had a fine life at Chico. I attended there after years in the military some of which throughly sucked, and found a congenial home, with congenial people, and professors that knew their stuff, and taught it.

It is a great town, with great parks, and great people, and close to great stuff. It is the only decent town to live in in the Central Valley.
I agree. Great town, with a ton of character, and Bidwell Park is a dream. Yea, you can screw up there if you are undisciplined, but you can also get a solid degree and spend time in one of California's finest towns. Like most things in life, it is more about what you do with your opportunity than the brand name, IMO. I found my wife there, but never could land a decent job.

Old 02-06-2010, 12:32 PM

963 posts, read 3,032,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shope View Post
If you have good self control and the school has a program that you are interested in then go for it. If you have an addictive personality, like to party all the time and have trouble with school work then don't. If one of your hobbies is not binge drinking then I am not sure that it is for you.
Let me see if I understand the sum of your advice here:

1. Don't go to Chico if you're a binge drinker because you'll be fall into the big black hole of the party scene.

2. Don't go to Chico if you're not a binge drinker because the city offers absolutely nothing else of interest.

Is that it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California