Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2007, 02:56 PM

14 posts, read 78,228 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to relocate to Northern California and could use some advice.

I want to find a smallish town, not too small, kind of inland is ok. I like the water (lakes, streams, creeks are great), hiking, I have dogs and walk them quite a bit so I need to have a good place for that. I've been looking at Sebastopol, Nevada City and possibly Chico. I've read a lot about Sebastopol and NC, I don't know anything about Chico. Santa Cruz is a possibility but I've lived there and would like to try some place new. I want to be somewhere that's fun, has a community feeling and single people. I'm into organic food and want to get off the grid. Cost of living comes second to a cool place to live. I like people who are progressive and very open minded.

Oh, I need sun..but not desert and as little snow as possible.

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by alternativeview; 05-28-2007 at 03:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2007, 03:15 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
You may want to consider Sacramento, especially the midtown area. It has quite a bit to do, is very shaded by large trees all over the area, has quaint and varied architecture and has folks with all kinds of backgrounds. By the way, Sacramento has been noted for their diversity. Here is a website giving you a little feel for the area, and rental apartments can be found from about $600 for a one bedroom:

midtowngrid.com, Directory for Sacramento, Midtown, Downtown Sacramento, East Sacramento and Old Saccramento Business Directory for shopping, restaurants, hotels, Sacramento's 2nd Saturday Art Walk, Entertainment and more!

Old 05-28-2007, 04:05 PM

Default looking for home

Thanks NewToCA,
I thought about Sacramento. I think it might be a little too big for me. I"m used to a slower pace.

Old 05-29-2007, 02:02 AM

1,354 posts, read 6,378,141 times
Chico is a pretty cool place. Its a college town and pretty diverse. There are alot of walking trails and some great parks there. There are always cultral events going on, Thursday night farmers market, lots of artsy things happening.

Old 05-29-2007, 09:21 PM

Smile looking for home

Thanks IntheSierras for your post.

Old 05-30-2007, 04:50 AM

433 posts, read 2,356,498 times
I agree about Chico. Pretty nice town. Lots of shady trees downtown. Good locally grown fresh fruits and vegetables. Outlying areas are nice too. Easy to explore nearby and be away from the crowds. Lake Oroville, Paradise, Highway 70 Canyon. Very pretty.

Metaphysical and conservative...hmmm.

Hard to read, but my first impression is that Chico fits the bill there too.

Friendly, local conservative people combined with young, college age types. The mix seems to work there. I get good vibes in Chico.

I don't know much about Nevada City. More expensive real estate. Many commute to the Sacramento metro from there. People that live there seem to like it. That's also kind of an eclectic/conservative area like Chico. Well-preserved downtown from the Gold Rush days.

Old 06-06-2007, 05:01 PM

Thanks Kingsinkali,

I'm going to have to make a trip to the area . Seattle might also be an option for me.

Thanks for your help.

Old 06-06-2007, 07:30 PM

1 posts, read 2,021 times
Default Relocating to California.

I would consider Ventura county, gorgeous and may be just what you are looking for. Thousand Oaks is beautiful, not sure what your price range is.

Thousand Oaks, Agoura and Oak Park California real estate listings, home buying, selling and relocation information - NUMBER1EXPERT(tm)

Old 06-06-2007, 10:19 PM

6 posts, read 29,137 times
My vote for you would be Davis. Its just outside of Sacramento. I love the little shops there! Check into it!!!! I guarantee you'll love it!

Old 06-07-2007, 12:38 PM

193 posts, read 1,403,033 times
Why have you not considered Southern California? What you describe can be found in areas here, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California