U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-12-2010, 12:02 PM

18,975 posts, read 15,762,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Are you actually reading his long, boring posts?
Nah! I usually stop at the first, five-syllable word and just shake my head.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 03:29 PM

2,014 posts, read 3,365,693 times
Quote:
Those who prefer the informal and everyman voice: check out Kerouac and the Beats. Then, after reading some samples of these, tell me with a straight face that I'm wielding big words with an inordinate or absurd rate of frequency, or that I'm speaking stiltedly or pedantically.
I have, you are, and further, your eyes are brown for a reason.

Old 02-12-2010, 08:08 PM

4,184 posts, read 3,836,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laocoön View Post
I have lived in the state of California for a sum total of about five years over the course of my life. Not continuously, though. Two one-year stints in San Diego (a year at UCSD in La Jolla, another year in Mission Beach), two years in San Francisco (residing on the peninsula), and another two years of itinerant tramping and Kerouacian wandering -- from SoCal to NorCal, including sojourns in Los Angeles's Santa Monica and Echo Park neighborhoods, Santa Cruz, and a plethora of surf towns and Big Sur-ish spots.

I am closely examining the prospects of re-entry into California -- permanently this time. And while I know a little about a lot of things about California, the truth is I don't know enough about some of the key matters which one must really know and understand before he launches headlong into a permanent commitment, particularly given the grim economic situation & overall state of the state.

I am looking to you City-Dataphiles for your best recommendations given the info I am about to set forth.

A thumbnail sketch of who I am:

*30-something male, straight, white, college-educated, originally from the state of Alabama, well-travelled, and have lived on both coasts and in the Southeast U.S.
*Married but separated, given up on reconciliation, and okay with it; ready to meet interesting and attractive women for good romps in the sack as well as possible long-term, nonmarital relationships
*Traditional values, but open-minded; apolitical; more of a European sensibility than American -- i.e., enjoy the spirit of community and the pedestrian mode of transportation than most Americans, enjoy the world of ideas more than the material, enjoy the classics more than pop culture
*Adventurous and fun-loving (but not to the extent of paragliding off the Torrey Pines cliffs in La Jolla or surfing with sharks); the outdoors and a temperate climate is an important consideration for me (which, in California might only exclude a handful of places such as the Mojave Desert)
*I am church-going (Presbyterian USA or Episcopal), but not fanatical; and while I am turned off by religious zealots (pew jumpers, snake handlers, even some Baptists), I am equally repelled by overzealous atheists
*I have been employed in a wide range of fields in my life, including writing, performing music, the event planning and management field, coaching sports, and a host of sundry and forgettable business posts

Considerations for my California town, city, or hamlet:

1. My chief consideration is to find what I like to call "my people." I do not think I could classify them according to occupation, hobby, or by any demographic category or conventional scheme. I do imagine that a great many of them would be highly knowledgeable and/or educated in the liberal arts -- whether formally or autodidactically. A great number of them would be artistically-inclined in some way, if not deriving their living from something art-related. They would be oriented toward the here-and-now, the local, and would take things at a medium -- but purposeful -- pace. That is, they would be interested in their local community and local goings-on, and not frenetically driving here and yon as quasi-citizens of several disconnected neighborhoods, and then spending the entirety of their down time couped up, feasting on cable TV news shows and reality shows, laboring over the daily White House briefings while sucking on a pseudo-healthy smoothie, listening to Air America (or Rush Limbaugh) streams over the internet, and getting worked to a twit over things going on out there in Iraq or even Indiana, or of an ideological nature such as gay marriage or _____ (fill in minority group's cause here), or even something as seemingly pertinent to our everyday lives as the health care bill. (If you, the reader, object with this last bit, I shall not argue the point other than to say you obviously aren't the type of here-and-now, in-the-moment, potential member of "my people." And might not get where I'm coming from.)

2. Approaching it from a different standpoint, I imagine that I might home in on a bevy of "my people" if I could somehow locate a patch of all, or any, of the following:

bona fide bohemians;

cluster of bohemians in aesthetic only, but nonetheless earnest about a community-oriented lifestyle, and enjoying nature, the arts, and an organically-centered and organized society -- in the here-and-now;

rastafarians, trustafarians, any kind of -farians -- but not the kind whose raison d'êtra is merely to consume and deal illegal contraband, then don a variegated beanie, and go hold a stringed instrument on a street corner between fixes, and never play a lick of ****;

college students, professors, and townies who comprise a "college town" or neighborhood (Athens, GA, Oxford, Miss., Charlottesville, VA, Columbia, Manhattan-NYC, and Princeton, NJ are a few in the Eastern U.S. which quickly come to mind).

3. No neighborhood is too monolithic, or even elite, for me. I am NOT looking for so-called "diversity"; I am looking for "my people." There might be a place which has "my people" and is diverse, and that is fine. Diversity is just not a prereq for me as it is for so many Californians and especially those seeking something outside the corporate mainstream.

(Aside: Truth be known, the ubiquitous diversity-seeker is usually an ethnic minority or recent immigrant to the States who is simply looking for a comfortable fit given his particular set of language barriers or socio-cultural preferences; he is looking to plug in to a neighborhood comprising people who reflect his basic values and lifestyle. Sometimes it's a gay-centric thing, or a feminist-friendly thing. But they all operate the same. Usually, the stereotypical diversity-seeker is merely looking for a group of people who look like him, sound like him, dress like him, and drive a car like him. This "diversity-seeker" is actually a misnomer; he is no real diversity seeker at all! His is a quest for patterns of consistency, not dynamic patterns of an opposite charge. For sameness and static-ness, not variety. Just like the cookie-cutter whiteboy suburbanites. Birds of a certain stripe looking to flock together. )

I am not hung up on diversity. My thing is quality. Specifically: highly-educated, artistic, adventurous. So, if it so happens "my people" are in Pacific Heights, say -- and that is a pretty monolithic and elite 'hood -- leave it to me to find a way to make entre into it; I might have to rent a broom closet in someone's studio apartment, but I will do whatever it takes to interact with and build community with like-minded souls. But who knows, I might be able to finagle a decent flat in even the most tony 'hood. I might can scrounge up the resources. That is for me to negotiate and deal with, and should not be a basis of your recommendations. So if you are inclined to recommend Pac Heights or Palo Alto, do not let the price points preclude you from doing so. By all means make the best rec, and let me figure out how to make it happen.

4. Crime must be of a normal rating or safer. No war zones. Sketchy is not good either unless there is a large upside.

5. There are no other prerequisite considerations, so Fire Away! I don't give a Russian Red Rat's Ass about many of the usual considerations on this board. I don't need, for instance, access to good public schools for my kids, as I have no kids!. I care nary a whit about parking, as I will likely have no car. I don't care much about square footage in my residence, as I am one person who hasn't many worldly possessions and hasn't often hosted soirées in the past, so why start now?

In closing, is anyone able to comment on the town of Bolinas (just north of San Francisco)? While it is NOT a place I am fixated on -- I am wide ass open at this point, looking at everything from a clean slate, willing to hear all recs and ready to weigh them all out -- I do suspect that Bolinas might be one place that is home to some of "my people."

Thanks in advance for all who take a minute to reply.

Laocoön (this one has no sons)
Poseur alert! Reading this post, my BS meter went off the charts.

Old 02-12-2010, 08:33 PM

I think I mentioned that his eyes were brown for a reason.

Old 02-27-2010, 11:44 AM

2 posts, read 2,173 times
Wow. There are some mean spirited people here.
I feel for the original poster. He came here seeking his kind of people (probably because this forum throws up topical threads when googled). Expressing himself in the only way which is right, 'in his voice' and you all jump him one by one with an anti-intellectual axe to grind. I don't think Laocoon is crazy and I don't need to pick up my dictionary to understand what he is saying like some of you have implied. Someone even told him to "Speak English!" which, as an Englishman, I find amusing and somewhat scary. In the evolution of a language every new word attempts to make more precise the references to abstract concepts. So every word in a dictionary is of some use in some form, either aesthetically or logically. To chastise this guy for having a larger vocabulary than this norm is frankly horrific. I can understand quite easily the points he is making and his turn-of-phrase. In virtue of this successful communication it is in essence impossible for it to be pseudo-intellectual.

In any case, since when did style of communication become the issue? It is with a common decency that fellow people should try and understand the substance at least of what someone is trying to say no matter the dialect and if they cannot then they should have the grace to pass along without getting angry. If a martian came down to earth it woud think all of us speak "funny". Would that mean whatever we try to say to it has no logical intent or substance? Of course not.

If it's a matter of preference then I personally would much rather be around people with diverse intelligences and a well used vocabulary than people whose language and ideas were entirely homogenised and spiritually repressive. It is obvious that the majority of people do not share these values and I am guessing that this alienation is what drives the original poster and other people, myself and my wife included, to seek other likeminded individuals. My life is quite hollow in the 'dominant culture' and is an impoverished experience compared with my life in a fecund culture of passion and creativity. (<-- Sorry, five syllables). There are a lot more discontent people than many of you realise, but just as coyoteskye said, they are often disguised in sheeps clothing and/or receive hostility from closed minded ignoramuses such that they lose the will to share themselves in the mainstream. If you yourself do not yearn for an alternative culture then you should feel very lucky. This realisation of spiritual abundance should then make you feel charitable warmth instead of anger.

To get back on topic, me and my New York native wife are over from the UK looking to find a creatively supportive environment for us to live in. We are looking around the San Francisco Bay Area. Has anyone any experience of the true bohemian spirit in Berkeley? If Laocoon is still around, did you find any good leads?

Old 02-27-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:
me and my New York native wife
? Not to be anti intellectual or sumpin'
Quote:
I can understand quite easily the points he is making and his turn-of-phrase.
Yeah, so could we, but here in America we have this really cool machine, it is called The BS meter, and his posts redlined it.

Old 02-27-2010, 12:25 PM

2,895 posts, read 7,888,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkoli View Post
I feel for the original poster. He came here seeking his kind of people (probably because this forum throws up topical threads when googled). Expressing himself in the only way which is right, 'in his voice' and you all jump him one by one with an anti-intellectual axe to grind. I don't think Laocoon is crazy and I don't need to pick up my dictionary to understand what he is saying like some of you have implied. Someone even told him to "Speak English!" which, as an Englishman, I find amusing and somewhat scary. In the evolution of a language every new word attempts to make more precise the references to abstract concepts. So every word in a dictionary is of some use in some form, either aesthetically or logically. To chastise this guy for having a larger vocabulary than this norm is frankly horrific. I can understand quite easily the points he is making and his turn-of-phrase. In virtue of this successful communication it is in essence impossible for it to be pseudo-intellectual.

In any case, since when did style of communication become the issue? It is with a common decency that fellow people should try and understand the substance at least of what someone is trying to say no matter the dialect and if they cannot then they should have the grace to pass along without getting angry. If a martian came down to earth it woud think all of us speak "funny". Would that mean whatever we try to say to it has no logical intent or substance? Of course not.

If it's a matter of preference then I personally would much rather be around people with diverse intelligences and a well used vocabulary than people whose language and ideas were entirely homogenised and spiritually repressive. It is obvious that the majority of people do not share these values and I am guessing that this alienation is what drives the original poster and other people, myself and my wife included, to seek other likeminded individuals. My life is quite hollow in the 'dominant culture' and is an impoverished experience compared with my life in a fecund culture of passion and creativity. (<-- Sorry, five syllables). There are a lot more discontent people than many of you realise, but just as coyoteskye said, they are often disguised in sheeps clothing and/or receive hostility from closed minded ignoramuses such that they lose the will to share themselves in the mainstream. If you yourself do not yearn for an alternative culture then you should feel very lucky. This realisation of spiritual abundance should then make you feel charitable warmth instead of anger.

To get back on topic, me and my New York native wife are over from the UK looking to find a creatively supportive environment for us to live in. We are looking around the San Francisco Bay Area. Has anyone any experience of the true bohemian spirit in Berkeley? If Laocoon is still around, did you find any good leads?
It's funny ... just this morning (before reading your reply) for some reason i was thinking about this thread and i was even considering sending a direct message to the o.p. and apologizing for ripping into him in my last reply.
There are a few very mean spirited people on this forum and one of the problems of internet "relating" is that there is ... or tends to be ... a hive mentality and it's easy to get sucked into it if there isn't sufficient awareness and a strong desire (and enough discipline) to not partake in the kind of warring that is rampant on the internet.

I share the o.p.'s frustration and yet there is a way to communicate without being so condescending that alienation results.
It is important to have some degree of insight regarding the people that one is "talking" with.

Needless to say, the "true bohemian spirit of Berkeley" is not what it once was.
Because of the rabidness of that dominant culture, the expressions of the California counter culture have been compromised / weakened / distorted but it's possible to find pockets of integrity and the bay area is a good place to look.
Santa Cruz county is another option although being closer to San Francisco may be important if you need regular infusions of .... hmmmmmm ... more refined literary / artistic expression, etc..
That said, San Francisco is close enough for me and i like to be in Santa Cruz as it's less congested, less frenetic and the nature here is powerful and suits me well and because of a high degree of tolerance in the county for any and all expressions, it's relatively easy here for me to feel free enough to be myself.
Anyway, thanks for your post ... i appreciate it and it gave me the opportunity to express my regret for my part in tearing the o.p. down.
I hope he finds "his people" ... i hope i find mine ... and i hope that you and your wife find a community that supports you both.

Last edited by coyoteskye; 02-27-2010 at 01:07 PM..

Old 02-27-2010, 01:13 PM

18,975 posts, read 15,762,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkoli View Post
I feel for the original poster. He came here seeking his kind of people (probably because this forum throws up topical threads when googled). Expressing himself in the only way which is right, 'in his voice' and you all jump him one by one with an anti-intellectual axe to grind. I don't think Laocoon is crazy and I don't need to pick up my dictionary to understand what he is saying like some of you have implied. Someone even told him to "Speak English!" which, as an Englishman, I find amusing and somewhat scary.

That would have been me. Obviously, so as to not invite more of the same from a second source, I should have been more provincial and said, "Talk American."

Would that not more properly be, "my New York native wife an I?" Last I checked, "me" can't be looking but "I" can.

Old 02-27-2010, 01:42 PM

11,948 posts, read 13,057,072 times
Laocoon's post was utter nonsense, but it's a diversion from the usual threads here.

He needs to get together with his fellow BS artist on C-D "hsw" - maybe they could give each other advice.

Old 02-27-2010, 05:35 PM

3,108 posts, read 4,454,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
Well thank you for the invitation but no, i have no wish at all to jump on you and not 'cause i'm misogynistic (yeah right which hat did you pull that one out of?) ... although i do prefer the company of men and if i was into women, ummmm, you wouldn't be one of them as i find you a bit nonsensical yourself (at times), tiresome and just somewhat of a poser, not wholly sincere and you strike me as someone who would drop names if you had them to drop.
But, thanks again.

And there is nothing wrong at all with intellectualism (although intellectual prowess without the warmth of the heart is rather empty imo) and "big words" can be wonderful and are certainly, in and of themselves, not an indication of insecurity nor an indication of a lack of emotional depth nor an indication of a "lack of perception" (there's no such thing as a "lack of perception" btw unless one is in a vegetative state but i imagine that even they have some degree of perceptual capacity but i dunno).

I will however agree that Frank McCourt's book "Angela's Ashes" was lovely as was he.
The point was not to "drop names". (I didn't say I knew him personally- I just used his style of language since he's an easily recognizable author). I was trying to make the point that in most cases, the everyday language is far more effective in reaching people. I don't know how my posts make me a "poseur" (a poseur of what? motherhood? culture? fashion? That doesn't even make any sense).

If you talk above people as if you are somehow intellectually superior (by rattling off big words) then you've lost 95% of your audience (like what has/and is happening here).

My earlier assertion that you seem misogynistic has more to do with your defense of all the male posters on the board- you went off on me specifically (a woman) as if I were the only one laughing at the op's pompous sounding post. Perhaps it's not true..it's just how I felt at the time.

Obviously this whole thread has become more about something else entirely- I don't know where his "people" are...But I can tell that just by what he's written here, that he wouldn't really find "his people" anywhere..I mean 'cmon..you think there's a town in this state where most of it's residence are so narrowly focused? I just know most people (even the very highly educated) are far more down to earth.

What you might see and being condescending, others might see it as being more natural and real. Anyway, you don't really need to bleed your heart over someone 'cause they're getting picked on, just tell him where his people are (you never actually answered that). My opinion stands at nowhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California