Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2010, 12:39 AM

35 posts, read 99,830 times

Advertisements

Anyone know of any inexpensive acreage left for a small weekend ranch or hobby farm in LA or OC? Nice grassland/vinyards, a few trees. Nothing too dry. Hopefully close to civilization.

I am hesitant in the Antelope Valley 'cause let's face it. It's desert. And I've been reading online about city officers raiding homes and harassing the residents in the Western part of the AV for keeping tractors out in plain view on their own properties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 07:40 AM

206 posts, read 415,266 times
Have you tried Moorpark and the surrounding areas. I think you are looking south, but that area of Ventura county is adjacent to L.A.(off the 118) and almost filled with groves-avacado etc. Both proffessional and little ranchettes of a few acres.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:04 AM

412 posts, read 955,454 times
You might try Anza or Aguanga (foothills of the San Jacinto mountains, in between Idyllwild and Temecula). Both places are high desert/grasslands and get occasional hard freezes in the winter, but unless you're growing citrus or avocado trees you can rely on a greenhouse or row covers to protect your more tender stuff. IIRC, Aguanga sits at roughly 3,000 feet elevation and Anza sits at 3,500 feet. Both are probably at cold hardiness zone 8 and get very warm in the summer.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:08 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,504,424 times
Quote:
I am hesitant in the Antelope Valley 'cause let's face it. It's desert. And I've been reading online about city officers raiding homes and harassing the residents in the Western part of the AV for keeping tractors out in plain view on their own properties.
Don't live in a city.. What is your projected crop? Desert lands can be very fertile, your biggest problem is going to be water.

If it is usable farmland, it is probably farmed. You will save your self big problems by buying an existing farm.

Old 03-02-2010, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarks View Post
Don't live in a city.. What is your projected crop? Desert lands can be very fertile, your biggest problem is going to be water.

If it is usable farmland, it is probably farmed. You will save your self big problems by buying an existing farm.
Aparently cops from Santa Clarita and Lancaster are raiding the rural homes somewhere near Neenach and Fairmont. They aren't cities. Hell I don't even think their towns.

I'll still be living near LB for work and headed to my hobby farm on weekends. Ill have a caretaker on my land. I'd like a handful of goats or cows, a few horses, most likely chickens and grow several types of vegs. Two small homes, one for my family and one for the caretaker. However, this will be over several years. We'll start small of course.

Old 03-02-2010, 02:16 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,252,792 times
KBAT and Clarks gave you good advice. I also suggest the Coachella Valley, which is deeper into the east side of Southern California. It's beautiful.

Did you also post this thread in the Rural Living Forum?

Old 03-03-2010, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post
KBAT and Clarks gave you good advice. I also suggest the Coachella Valley, which is deeper into the east side of Southern California. It's beautiful.

Did you also post this thread in the Rural Living Forum?
I'll be looking into those areas as well. Didn't realize there was a Rural Living Forum. I will repost there. Thanks.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:21 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,504,424 times
Quote:
Aparently cops from Santa Clarita and Lancaster are raiding the rural homes somewhere near Neenach and Fairmont. They aren't cities. Hell I don't even think their towns.

I'll still be living near LB for work and headed to my hobby farm on weekends. Ill have a caretaker on my land. I'd like a handful of goats or cows, a few horses, most likely chickens and grow several types of vegs. Two small homes, one for my family and one for the caretaker. However, this will be over several years. We'll start small of course.
You want what used to be part of the "back to the land" movement. I think the desert extremes of climate may not be in your best interest. I do not know SoCal that well so cannot be too specific. But I would look in the hill country around the Cleveland National Forest area. Small towns, or what used to be small towns, like Ramona.

Here is a website for you, and a magazine well worth subscribing too, and finding old old copies of. Organic Gardening, Modern Homesteading, Renewable Energy, Green Homes, Do it Yourself – MOTHER EARTH NEWS

Old 03-03-2010, 12:27 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,813,908 times
You're hogtying yourself with the following requirements:

LA/OC
Inexpensive
Not too dry

You can do inexpensive (of course, I don't how you define that word) and not too dry, but you'll have to drop the LA/OC part. And the "close to civilization part", quite possibly.

You can do inexpensive and LA County, but then the dry part kicks in.

You can forget OC altogether.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:52 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,127,136 times
i have distant relatives who own a small family farm just outside of redlands. they bought undeveloped land maybe 5 years ago or so and have a successful farm and sell to local families and restaurants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California