Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 09:56 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
Both are great places to retire. California if you have alot of money and Missouri if you dont.
Better tell that to my bank account. It doesn't seem know that part about retiring in California and needing a lot of money.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:13 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
There are actually some similarities between California and Missouri. Although Californias Sierra Mtns. are higher, Missouri does have The Ozarks. Both are beautiful and offer many recreational opportunities. Both have alot of water that offer many recreational opportunities.Both have highly educated populations that offer employers good employees. Yes! The people of Missouri ARE highly educated.Both have drop dead gorgeous women. Both are great places to retire. California if you have alot of money and Missouri if you dont. But if I had to choose one of the two i would take Missouri. Cost of living is better and the women have that oh so sexy accent!
Nicely put. We're right on the shore of Table Rock Lake which is over 900 feet deep and has over 800 miles of shoreline. It's really quite placid, especially as the Corps of Engineers still "owns" the shoreline which limits dockage and preserves nature. The real party lake in MO is Lake of the Ozarks which is north above the Missouri River.

Branson, which is about 23 miles NW of us, certainly does not typify either MO or the Ozarks but is far enough away to not affect us, especially as we're out on a peninsula jutting into the lake, most of which is still in its natural state. I think we've driven into Branson only once or twice in the five months we've lived here.

The Ozarks are geologically interesting. Rather than rising up, they were primarily cut down from a plateau and the highest of them is only about 2,600 feet. They're the most extensive mountainous region between the Appalachians and the Rocky Mountains and because of the many valleys cut into them vast areas were quite remote and gave birth to a distinct society.

Interestingly enough, in our small community of 212 custom homes there are quite a number of former Californians, most of whom moved here for many of the same reasons we did.

Missouri is not for everyone, anymore than anywhere else in this wide, wonderful country is. Aren't we blessed to not only have such variety but also the freedom to choose where to make our homes? My wife and I feel particularly lucky to have lived many other places during our lives so we were able to make a knowing choice when deciding on our retirement location.

And, yes, Capt. Dan, there are some gorgeous women here, and they even have all of their teeth!

Old 02-08-2010, 10:23 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Sorry, can't tolerate gospel music. Make it Ranchera or Norteño and I'll put up with the other stuff.
Then don't listen to it. Has anyone ever forced you to listen to any particular kind of music, ever?

Perhaps, Californian should work on making California a place where people want to stay/can afford to stay.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:29 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,485,841 times
Quote:
Better tell that to my bank account. It doesn't seem know that part about retiring in California and needing a lot of money.
Youre special!

Old 02-08-2010, 10:34 AM

Apparently I hit a touchy Christian nerve, not that that's a difficult thing to do.

To answer your question, yes, I had to listen to horrid gospel and other boring Christian music back when my parents forced me to attend church.

(Believe me, I don't listen to it. I'd rather listen to cats mating.)

Old 02-08-2010, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Youre special!
I ARE special!

Old 02-08-2010, 10:48 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Then don't listen to it. Has anyone ever forced you to listen to any particular kind of music, ever?

Perhaps, Californian should work on making California a place where people want to stay/can afford to stay.
It's too late for that, I'm afraid. The unions, special interest groups, environmental nutjobs, government retirement entitlements, etc. have put a stranglehold on the state.

I'm working on getting out. My Mother-in-law says stay and fight, but I'm going to leave that to the folks that have actually caused the problems.

Old 02-08-2010, 12:41 PM

8,262 posts, read 18,485,841 times
Quote:
I ARE special!
Did you accept your moms explanation to you as why your school bus was so much smaller than the other kids?

Old 02-08-2010, 01:18 PM

My school had bars on the windows. And armed guards.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:49 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
My school had bars on the windows. And armed guards.
To keep you and the homies out, esse?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California