Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are there job opportunities for M. Arch grads in SoCal and where?
yes 0 0%
no 1 100.00%
L.A. 0 0%
S.D. 0 0%
O.C. 0 0%
S.F. (NorCal) 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 04:36 PM

19 posts, read 84,947 times

Advertisements

Hi-it may be optimistic in this economy, but this summer I plan on moving back to SoCal to start my career in architecture. I am primarily looking at Los Angeles and vicinity for jobs. I miss it and I feel the design communities, opportunities, and diversity are favorable to my career

Anyone have any insight, advice, suggestions, or experience in the profession in LA?

-Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 04:26 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,058,136 times
1)Can you do an internship unpaid for a short time,in LA? Can you do this over spring break,prior to moving back officially?
2)Do you have professors or colleagues who know of firms and contacts in the area?

you may have already thought of these-so sorry if they are silly suggestions-but networking of course is key to any career anywhere,so how can you get a head start before summer and/or before you apply for jobs
,is my suggestion/question.
ie,Try to join university arch. dept groups,online,if possible,too. Volunteer for internships [cold calling/mailing letters to firms that interest you].

Best of luck! Jobs do exist in CA,though they may be fewer.
Are there related fields you could take work in that would give you experience,and keep your foot in thte door,if you didnt get an arch position right away?

Old 02-11-2010, 12:54 AM

5 posts, read 8,997 times
I don't mean to discourage you, but I have a B. Arch and got my M. Arch a year ago and have not been able to find work in the architecture industry in So Cal. at all! California (as well as adjacent states / areas including Nevada, Arizona, Nor Cal, and Oregon) have been really hit hard by the recession, especially since so much of the economy was built around construction. I'd say about 75% of my colleagues here with my level of experience and education in architecture are not working at all, working part time, or have had to go overseas to find work. The more experience you have, the lower the rate gets, but as for the class of 2009 (little to no experience, fresh out of school) the unemployment rate here is near 80-90%. I hear the best opportunities in the country for architecture at the moment are in Washington DC...and after that the Great Plains states and Texas. That said, things MAY be starting to turn a corner in the industry and from the grapevine I hear that this summer / fall things might pick up a bit. BUT, two things: NO ONE will hire you unless you are living here already / local (or at least can put an LA address on your resume and fake it); and your CONNECTIONS are what will get you the job, not necessarily your education or experience - people are hiring people they know or the friends of people they know.

If you're still up for coming this way, work your connections and try to rub elbows with other people in the industry - go to arch. lectures, AIA events, USGBC events, ULI events, etc. That will help expand your network here in LA. But be prepared and be patient - it's still reall really tough out here. And even I am looking at going overseas for a few years until things rebound around here.

Old 02-13-2010, 10:28 AM

19 posts, read 84,947 times
Well thank you guys for the honest advice! I'll definitely consider these points. I agree networking is key in an career field, and moreover, patience will be key. I hope rumors of a better economy in the fall will become true. I may wait a little bit before I make any hastey decisions, however, I don't want to let my goals slip away. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California