Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 03:06 PM

2 posts, read 62,227 times

Advertisements

My storage unit is going up for auction and I want my stuff but I cant afford to pay the $600 required to get my stuff out. Can I go to the auction myself and bid on it or should I bring a friend to bid for me? Also how can I get the other people not to bid on it? I only have about $150 to do this with cuz I also have to be able to get a moving truck to transport everything. How do I go about doing this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 04:32 PM

48 posts, read 177,413 times
I'm sorry to hear what you're going through. I'm not too familiar with issues like this, the only advice I have (which I'm sure you've already done) is to call the storage unit place, or better yet go in person, and see if you can reach some sort of payment plan. Not too sure if storage places do that or not.

As for ensuring that people don't bid on it...just pray that Storage Wars or Auction Hunters or some type of "reality" show isn't being filmed there or you might definitely be out of luck.

Here's a couple links I found that may (or may not) help you:
My stuff was sold on a extra space storage auction, i want to know how do i find out who bought my stuff.? - Yahoo! Answers
Storage Unit Auction Laws | eHow.com

Good luck!

Old 09-19-2011, 05:46 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,015,751 times
Just have a friend bid on it & dont let the storage company know shes bidding for you. What they dont know wont hurt them. Storage companies charge too much as it is & many of them are crooks.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:16 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,025,535 times
Yeah but ... if the "friend" gets outbid by bids over $150 - which is all the OP has, then he/she is screwed! There's not much the OP can do - except pay the $600 owed!

Old 10-05-2011, 12:35 PM

2 posts, read 62,227 times
Default Too late!

THe storage unit was auctioned off on the 26th of September. I was there and I saw who won. I talked to them and gave them my phone number and asked them to call me if there was anything they did not want in their. THey ever called me. Instead yesterday I got a call from the storage company and was told that there was some stuff there for me. I went down there and picked it up. Most of it was crap. There was a couple of momentos but for the most part my kids baby stuff was still missing. Im hoping that they have not started throwing stuff in the trash. I am going to email the auction company today and hope that they can get these ppl to contact me.

Old 10-05-2011, 03:08 PM

1,320 posts, read 2,697,617 times
That is awful. If you approached them, they could have worked with you in some way. How insensitive and greedy. What would they want with your momentos and such. If they toss stuff out, is it in a place where you can retrieve it without getting into trouble?

Old 10-05-2011, 04:22 PM

28,114 posts, read 63,642,682 times
There shouldn't be any crap unless you were paying to store crap.

I've helped folks move items to storage... many eventually loose the contents or pay far more than it is ever worth...

I helped an older lady move the contents from her mother's apartment 20 years ago... she is still paying storage all these years and said she can't bear to go through her mother's things to decided what to get rid of.

Storage serves a very real need... to say that the companies are crooks because a person didn't pay... is a bit of a stretch.

You must have known ahead of time you would not be able to pay and could have removed the most important items...

I have seen people incarcerated loose everything because they were not in a position to do anything about it... again, does not make the company a crook.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 10-05-2011 at 04:31 PM..

Old 10-05-2011, 04:27 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,603,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katnip kid View Post
That is awful. If you approached them, they could have worked with you in some way. How insensitive and greedy. What would they want with your momentos and such. If they toss stuff out, is it in a place where you can retrieve it without getting into trouble?
Why does anyone go to these auctions other than to find hidden treasure.

The OP Sassypants was given the opportunity to pay off the bad debt and did not. He or she thought they could sweet talk or harass the winning bidder to regain their objects.

Even after the winning bidder left some of the property the OP is ungrateful.

Old 10-05-2011, 05:26 PM

50,244 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
There shouldn't be any crap unless you were paying to store crap.

I've helped folks move items to storage... many eventually loose the contents or pay far more than it is ever worth...

I helped an older lady move the contents from her mother's apartment 20 years ago... she is still paying storage all these years and said she can't bear to go through her mother's things to decided what to get rid of.

Storage serves a very real need... to say that the companies are crooks because a person didn't pay... is a bit of a stretch.

You must have known ahead of time you would not be able to pay and could have removed the most important items...

I have seen people incarcerated loose everything because they were not in a position to do anything about it... again, does not make the company a crook.
What if you were in jail for six months

Old 10-05-2011, 05:30 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
What if you were in jail for six months
Sounds like a personal problem. Or are you suggesting the business owner should take the loss for their criminality or that gubmint bail them out?

That's a sob-story run dry!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California