U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-13-2010, 12:01 PM
 
276 posts, read 455,867 times
Reputation: 54

Advertisements

Does the US have sanctuaries like Canada? More specifically S.C.
OH! not animal Sanctuaties...I'm talking about the original term of Sanctuary, the kind for people!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-13-2010, 12:12 PM
 
Location: SW MO Aux Arcs
20,156 posts, read 18,186,402 times
Reputation: 18974
Quote:
Originally Posted by elisaa View Post
Does the US have sanctuaries like Canada? More specifically S.C.
OH! not animal Sanctuaties...I'm talking about the original term of Sanctuary, the kind for people!
Elissa, there are some cities and one county that have declared themselves to be sanctuary areas for people who arrive undocumented but the reality is, unlike Canada during Vietnam, the U.S. federal government doesn't acknowledge that and will deport if the person is caught. All "sanctuary cities" means is that the local police have a "don't ask, don't tell" policy and won't arrest solely due to improper immigration status.

Here are some of them:

Bell Gardens, CA
City of Industry, CA
City of Commerce, CA
Cypress, CA
Davis CA
Downey, CA
Fresno, CA
Lakewood, CA
Los Angeles, CA
Long Beach, CA
Lynwood, CA
Maywood, CA
Montebello, CA
National City, CA
Norwalk, CA
Paramount, CA
Pico Rivera, CA
So. Gate, CA
San Bernardino, Ca.
San Diego, CA
Santa Cruz, CA
San Francisco,
San Jose, CA
Sonoma County, CA
Vernon, CA
Watsonville, CA
Wilmington, CA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2010, 12:14 PM
 
Location: The High Seas
5,821 posts, read 7,869,717 times
Reputation: 6999
My place is a sanctuary for the beautiful, rich, and famous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2010, 12:15 PM
 
11,726 posts, read 25,999,558 times
Reputation: 7169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Elissa, there are some cities and one county that have declared themselves to be sanctuary areas for people who arrive undocumented but the reality is, unlike Canada during Vietnam, the U.S. federal government doesn't acknowledge that and will deport if the person is caught. All "sanctuary cities" means is that the local police have a "don't ask, don't tell" policy and won't arrest solely due to improper immigration status.

Here are some of them:

Bell Gardens, CA
City of Industry, CA
City of Commerce, CA
Cypress, CA
Davis CA
Downey, CA
Fresno, CA
Lakewood, CA
Los Angeles, CA
Long Beach, CA
Lynwood, CA
Maywood, CA
Montebello, CA
National City, CA
Norwalk, CA
Paramount, CA
Pico Rivera, CA
So. Gate, CA
San Bernardino, Ca.
San Diego, CA
Santa Cruz, CA
San Francisco,
San Jose, CA
Sonoma County, CA
Vernon, CA
Watsonville, CA
Wilmington, CA
Not surprisingly, most of the cities on that list (particularly the smaller ones) are such nice, peaceful, wholesome, clean, decent places to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2010, 01:23 PM
 
Location: GLAMA
16,585 posts, read 21,966,673 times
Reputation: 16251
I'm surprised that Bezerkely isn't on that list along with its unwholesome slutty sister, Frisco.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2010, 01:31 PM
 
276 posts, read 455,867 times
Reputation: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
My place is a sanctuary for the beautiful, rich, and famous.
What lovely dream your having...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2010, 01:32 PM
 
276 posts, read 455,867 times
Reputation: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Not surprisingly, most of the cities on that list (particularly the smaller ones) are such nice, peaceful, wholesome, clean, decent places to live.
Thanks so much I enjoy someone who actually has something informative to offer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2010, 03:43 PM
 
Location: Currently in Ontario, CA
13,703 posts, read 12,356,081 times
Reputation: 6697
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
I'm surprised that Bezerkely isn't on that list along with its unwholesome slutty sister, Frisco.
You leave my city alone LOL.

It's San Francisco and it is on that list
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2010, 03:53 PM
 
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere
14,141 posts, read 17,676,063 times
Reputation: 6512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
I'm surprised that Bezerkely isn't on that list along with its unwholesome slutty sister, Frisco.
Frisco is a town in Colorado. I don't believe it's a sister city to Berkeley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2010, 04:04 PM
 
276 posts, read 455,867 times
Reputation: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
You leave my city alone LOL.

It's San Francisco and it is on that list
I may just come to visit you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $94,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2015, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top