U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 05-31-2007, 06:40 PM

57 posts, read 181,777 times
Wink I'm moving to New York!

Hi everyone. I was born and raised in Burbank, my husband as well. We are moving about 1 1/2 hours outside Manhattan in Orange County. Great schools, stunning scenery, people speaking English only as far as the ear can hear. Let me tell you... that is really refreshing, no graffiti, no crime. We are outa here as soon as our house sells. We are cashing out. Snow and seasons don't scare us. Anyone else moving back east???

Unread 05-31-2007, 06:57 PM

14,960 posts, read 22,792,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrpilot View Post
Wouldn't this house be worth at least $3 million in SoCal? So wouldn't the taxes be roughly the same at about 1%? So you paid $2 million more to save nothing on taxes. When you're talking about housing at this economic level, I don't think you need to justify moving because of the tax rate. Just tell the rest of us "to get lost, we're moving cause we want to and cost is not any part of the equation".
I do agree with some of your observations about TX. We lived there for a couple years and met some odd people.
No. We've never even paid close to that in property taxes. Our original Palm Desert home which we purchased in 1999, the taxes were roughly $7000 per year. We sold it for around 3 million - but we never paid that much for it.

Regardless of taxes or cost or whatever - we are just so happy to be back home in CA. Beautiful sunny weather - not a cloud in the sky (yes, we love the desert heat!), zero humidity, no traffic, easy access to anywhere, excellent shopping, family and friends. We were CRAZY to ever leave here in the first place! But we're back now and Texas just seems like a distant nightmare. Did I mention how happy I am? WoooooHooooooooo!!!!!

Unread 05-31-2007, 07:33 PM

1,032 posts, read 2,561,424 times
Quote:
We sold it for around 3 million - but we never paid that much for it.
Exactly my point. The property tax will be based on the selling price. Roughly 1% x $3 mil = 30k @ year. You were protected by Prop 13. I don't suppose it really matters if you can afford to live where you want. A lot of people can't afford to do that and will have to weigh the long term effect of living house-poor or moving to a more affordable area. I don't think those folks are dealing with the same issues as you.
Quote:
Regardless of taxes or cost or whatever - we are just so happy to be back home in CA.
I am really glad for you(maybe a little jealous too). We are happy too. Only not in CA, but in CO.

Unread 05-31-2007, 08:15 PM

223 posts
everytime i want to comment on ca i get the hives.so its best i exit this topic.

Unread 06-01-2007, 06:45 AM

383 posts, read 911,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Yeah that was what I was thinking. My 2 bedroom "starter house" in CA cost over $550k and I pay about $6000/yr in property tax. I could go to Dallas metro and probably get a nicer house for $200k. Even at a 3% tax rate, my tax bill would be about the same. But I'd have no income tax in Texas. If only I could stand the heat.
Yea you are right about that, a 150k home in Dallas generally equates to a $500k home in so cal from what I've seen when comparing. But as to the previous people, why gripe about taxes when you're paying a million dollars for a home, you can afford the 20k to give to the state. Don't forget we have no income tax, I'm sure Cali more than gets their share when you get paid.

Just say what it is, Texas definately has it's drawbacks. I can say that because I've always lived here, but I wouldn't live in Cali either because I can live alot better on a hundred grand salary here than I could in California. I'm not rich but I still do ok, and yea Texas isn't pretty but my low house prices enables me to have extra money to fly everywhere else.

Unread 06-01-2007, 08:36 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,207,704 times
while we packed up and moved outta Cali after 40+ years I will not rag on her too bad You can complain all ya want about a lotta things in that state but the Cali people really do rock and that is a huge plus!

Unread 06-02-2007, 07:43 PM

14 posts, read 61,213 times
I am in San Diego and getting a divorce. I love this city but can't afford to stay here. Anyone have any suggestions. I am hoping for mild weather since I am VERY spoiled in that area. Looking for a smaller city.. I always hated being around so many people and always having to wait for everything and so much traffic. Friendly people that care for more then their hair, nails and fancy clothes would thrill my sole!!!! I am looking for a 4 bedroom house in the Lompoc, Santa Maria area of CA but so far no one wants to rent to me. You are wondering why I need such a large house when I am only one person. That is because I sell on Ebay and need room for inventory and shipping supplies. Also I am a quilt maker and designer. this comes with a lot of fabric and books. This was a hobby but now it will become a major part of my income. I also have a complete home gym that I refuse to leave behind. I got most of the furniture too..

Anyone have any suggestions on places to relocate too? In or out of CA.

Unread 06-02-2007, 07:46 PM

889 posts, read 1,958,716 times
Check out N.C. I like it here and was a Cal.native who left.

Unread 06-02-2007, 07:49 PM

14,960 posts, read 22,792,382 times
Yep. Just hop in your car and travel 2 hours to Palm Desert. You're still close enough to SD if you want to go back to see friends or whatever, but you are out of the traffic and the proces are lower. The weather is a tad hotter, but you can get used to it. Oh, and it is BEAUTIFUL here!

Unread 06-02-2007, 08:00 PM

14 posts, read 61,213 times
Mvn2nc.. what parts of NC would you reccomend?

Twinkle Toes.. Palm Desert might be a little to close. I can't stay here and watch my ex be happy with his new wife that he had an affair with for a year and half before he got around to telling me. All our friends knew too but no one carried enough to tell me... so I have NO friends here any longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California