U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 01:37 AM
HDL

3,140 posts, read 6,005,965 times

Advertisements

I just found out this past weekend that my former home in the Sacramento area is in foreclosure and back on the market as a Short Sale ! It is currently listed for 12% less than what I sold it for in July 2005, but I expect that IF it sells (which is highly unlikely in the current market place), it will sell for 25% less than what I sold it for at it's peak .

The funny thing is, I would always hear Realtors say if you priced a home right, it would sell ! Now, I'm hearing Realtors say you have to give it six months or increase the commission to Agents ! Prices are still HIGH in CA, but the media really does not report how bad it truly is in many areas of CA with overbuilding and excessive inventories .

I wonder how many ex-Californians will return and buy again ! I may be interested in Santa Cruz/Aptos/Soquel when that market decreases more .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2007, 01:42 AM

11,715 posts, read 35,875,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happydawglady View Post
I wonder how many ex-Californians will return and buy again ! I may be interested in Santa Cruz/Aptos/Soquel when that market decreases more .
Well in my area, prices would have to drop by at least 50% across the board to restore some sanity to the price to income ratio. I don't see that happening.

Old 06-01-2007, 09:59 AM

4,610 posts, read 10,188,509 times
Quote:

We are planning on returning in about a year. (wish it was sooner though). We shall see where this market goes. Everyone can guess but no one knows for sure. Anything can happen to change this one way or another.

Old 06-01-2007, 11:08 AM

3,178 posts, read 13,395,862 times
Default Crossing my fingers

Quote:
I just found out this past weekend that my former home in the Sacramento area is in foreclosure and back on the market as a Short Sale !

SEE!!!! I told you the Sac market is plummeting - go down baby - go down!!!

Old 06-06-2007, 06:01 AM

1,868 posts, read 5,221,864 times
Default Another article for the "cheerleaders" to tear apart

State of the Housing Market: Update from Schahrzad Berkland | eFinanceDirectory.com

Old 06-06-2007, 06:43 AM

458 posts, read 685,496 times
Interesting article. Historical Southern California Real Estate prices:

Historical Median Home Sales Prices From 1982

2007 looks like 1991. The fundamentals in 1991 were much stronger than today. You had higher interest rates, less questionable loans and a greater percentage of people could afford homes at their current prices. Plus in the early 90's prices had not risen nearly as fast as they have the past few years. The down potential is much greater this time.

I predict a 40% drop over the next 4-5 years. If you look back at the early 90's, prices leveled off for about 4 years near their highs, then they dropped rapidly. Looking at current prices, we are on year number 3 or 4 of these current prices (depending on which county you are looking at), so 2008 should be interesting.

Just like the increase in prices was much greater than most expected, the drop will be also.

In 5-10 years when this all shakes out, I will be back to buying in SoCal. But not yet, not at these prices.

Last edited by Winkelman; 06-06-2007 at 07:03 AM..

Old 06-06-2007, 10:18 AM

13,781 posts, read 23,755,254 times
Berkland's drop is inflation adjusted, so if the market drop 20% from a peak in the summer of 2006 over a four year period, he would consider this to be about a 33% decline (assuming a 3% inflation rate). Since he views bottoms of cycles running from 5-7 years, a 20% drop over a six year period (the midpoint in his range) would equate to a 40% drop.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:19 AM

376 posts, read 1,359,467 times
I just looked at last months title numbers and in The O.C. the number of sales is down but the price is still up. Certain pockets of the county are slower then others. But if a home is priced right from the beginning and has the great exposure they are still selling relatively quickly as a whole!.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:49 AM

4,610 posts, read 10,188,509 times
I have to agree about the Orange County market. I flew out there about 6 weeks ago to look at homes in Laguna Beach, Laguna Niguel and Dana Point with ocean views. These homes are moving (selling). Some of the homes I looked at are already in escrow. For me, If the location is great, the home is in move-in condition and the view is the view I am looking for, then I will pay the price. We can't buy right now anyways and I was just looking to see what I could get for the money. We'll see what happens.

Old 06-06-2007, 01:50 PM

269 posts, read 804,097 times
Default California Housing Market

Here's my 2 cents...

I think that the overall market in California will drop another 4.5% this year and about 5% next year. Then there will be about 2 years of stagnant prices...they won't go up they won't go down. From that point on we'll see a return to the normal/historical appreciation rate of 1.5% annually. The poster earlier that predicted it would shoot up 40% above 2006 levels is dreaming...maybe over the next 40 years.

The last 7 years was a once in a lifetime ride and i'ts over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or