U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 02-14-2010, 07:50 PM

1 posts, read 11,058 times
Default Is anyone leaving California or wanting to leave??

Hey, has anyone out there finally had enough of California and "all it has to offer"? Are you getting out of here soon or planning to or really wanting to? If so, where are you going to or where would you like to go? And why?

Unread 02-14-2010, 08:37 PM

59 posts, read 150,707 times
yes my family anfd i are planning on moving to north dakota threre is alot of jobs there in the oil field ,my husband is a truck driver and there is a big demand for them and its good pay and good benefits .. we are getting tired of just getting by here and no benefits that we can afford he can get them thru his employer now but its cost 900 a month .. when we can go to north dakota and the employer pays for the whole family.. and we are just plain sick of it here its just so expensive to live here ..its just not worth it!

Unread 02-14-2010, 08:50 PM

11,730 posts, read 21,943,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmeyerw View Post
yes my family anfd i are planning on moving to north dakota threre is alot of jobs there in the oil field ,my husband is a truck driver and there is a big demand for them and its good pay and good benefits .. we are getting tired of just getting by here and no benefits that we can afford he can get them thru his employer now but its cost 900 a month .. when we can go to north dakota and the employer pays for the whole family.. and we are just plain sick of it here its just so expensive to live here ..its just not worth it!
How do you feel about winter? ND winters are no joke.

Unread 02-14-2010, 08:57 PM

1,687 posts, read 3,351,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmeyerw View Post
yes my family anfd i are planning on moving to north dakota threre is alot of jobs there in the oil field ,
Be sure you read this article. Even if you have a job it appears housing in North Dakota is in short supply. So even people with jobs are homeless. Seems like lots of people are hearing about those jobs.
Job seekers left homeless in North Dakota

Unread 02-14-2010, 09:02 PM

23,769 posts, read 13,655,505 times
Nope. There really is no point since every place has it's own set of problems. I'd rather stick with the problems I already know about and am used to.

Unread 02-14-2010, 09:44 PM

210 posts, read 268,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoDoOne View Post
Hey, has anyone out there finally had enough of California and "all it has to offer"? Are you getting out of here soon or planning to or really wanting to? If so, where are you going to or where would you like to go? And why?
Well.. this is such a timely question. We left California 6 years ago. We felt that we'd never be able to buy the kind of house we really needed, and got tired of the tailgaters and speeders, and the dry weather.

We moved to the Seattle area. How lush, how green, how beautiful. Here's the thing.. When you start hating on the place you're living, you can find a million reasons to hate it and find a million reasons to love this idea you have of a new place. You get to your new place, and for a few years it's like a honeymoon. It takes around four years to truly know if you'd made the right decision.

It's one thing if you're moving back home or to place you've lived before, but before you think you've found your utopia, consider renting in the new area for a year to see if it really fits after all. Many of use are leaving or left California (or other States) and left behind family, friends, and history. Once you settle into your new area, at least 70% of us will realize that the people we left behind were more important than taxes, or a bigger house, etc. Or we find our utopia isn't all it's cracked up to be.

In our case, we realized a few years into the adventure, that no one can truly prepare you for a different climate. If you grew up in, say, California, the odds of you adapted to a climate that is different,are pretty low. I'm finding that it's probably best to try and not make a huge change in climate and culture when trying to escape.

The thing is that Seattle really DOES rain all the time. You know those brochures where they say "Oh, but Seattle gets less rain than Boston or Miami!" Ha! What they don't tell you is that the rain is spread out over a period of 8 months.. drip by drip.. Truly, it's not the rain that gets you, it's the 8 months of cloud cover that does. You cannot know, until you live in it for a few years, if you're going to be someone that gets SAD (seasonal affective disorder.) It exists and it's very real.

Spent the day in the Portland oregon area today. Yes, it's also a predominantly cloudy and wet place. THe guard rails and street signs in many parts of the City were covered in thick green moss today (and this is a dry el nino year.) But the people were extremely friendly and open. So that was nice. Heck, our front porch and deck at home are covered in inches of green moss right now.. it even grows on your car if you park in the shade up here!

The moral of my story is that we're probably returning to California, or at least something in Oregon which has more sun and more of a laid back attitude. The people in the PNW are very nice.. but it's different. In California people you meet are warm and open and easy going, but when you move to an area where you are inside much of the year, or cold and wet and miserable, you may not see your neighbors for 6 months straight. It's entirely different. These are things you can't know when you make a big escape The idea of escaping seems great and the new place seems like everything your old place wasn't, and sometimes you're really lucky and find the perfect place. But be sure of what you're trying to escape from.. and if it's something that will be replaced by another problem in the new place, or if a move to another part of California would solve the problem. It's like getting a new boyfriend or husband, and you can't help but compare the two and be like "oh THIS one is not going to leave his sox on the floor like that last one!" No, he picks up his sox, but he snores like a freight train. It's like that!

Unread 02-14-2010, 09:49 PM

59 posts, read 150,707 times
well we have a travel trailer that we are living right now because we lost our house to foreclousure so we can stay in that until we find a place and we live in north ca in the mountains we it can get well below zero so we can get use to the weather

Unread 02-14-2010, 11:57 PM

15,019 posts, read 22,974,633 times
Nope. Been there, done that ... and I'm back and never leaving again. The grass ISN'T greener somewhere else. In fact, I am damn glad to be back here!!!
Oh, and it's DakoTa ... not DakoDa. Or ... maybe for you it's DakoDUH.

Unread 02-15-2010, 12:42 AM

60 posts, read 140,620 times
On the non-CA forums, it seems as if every other poster lived in California but hated it, due to a combination of taxes, liberals, the large hispanic presence, and its secularism.

Unread 02-15-2010, 06:15 AM

11,927 posts, read 8,913,665 times
I'm thinking about leaving California, I have lived in other areas before though. Its not so much that the "grass is greener" on the other side, its that the grass is cheaper on the other side. Many areas of the country where I can live the same lifestyle for less money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California