Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 05:14 PM

193 posts, read 1,403,033 times

Advertisements

Yes, only rich and beautiful people here...so if you are ugly and poor don't bother - California is not for you! In fact, there are some people that are already here that need to move out because they have let their looks go. Is that superficial enough for ya?

Just Kidding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2007, 07:20 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,038,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by candis View Post
I've asked serveral people that lived in or visited California. The response that I got from them were:

(1) people in california are superficial, if you can't do anything for them, they don't want to be bother.
(2) only rich and beautiful people live in Cali
(3) very expensive, a one bedroom apt cost 3,000
(4) people are fake and it is hard to meet new friends
(5) Only for Heedans (sp), if you are in the church not a good place to live
(6) I will miss the change of seasons ( I currently live in Maryland)
(7) everything is spread out, no entertainment

And there were more, however, please let me know if all these stereotypes are true about California. I was really interested in moving there. But if these are true, then I will consider moving somewhere else.

If you believe ANY of that - please stay where you are and don't even consider moving here to our beautiful state.

Anywhere you go you are going to have a variety of people. There are all kinds of people in this state - just as with any other state. CA has its affordable spots and its way out of the universe incredibly expensive spots too - just like any other state.

The entertainment industry is in CA, so how can we have "no entertainment"???

Come out here and check it out for yourself. Don't rely on some BS info you got from a bunch of idiots. If you like CA, great - we welcome you to our beautiful state. If you don't like it, oh well, at least you checked it out for yourself and came to your own conclusions.

Old 05-31-2007, 08:05 PM

35 posts, read 117,782 times
Thank you ALL so much for responding to my post. I guess you guys proved the naysayers wrong. I will definately visit in the near future before making the move. I am taking the advice and looking at it as a temporary move and whatever happens, happens. This will be another big move for me...that is why I am talking to so many people... however, I need to do what I need to do and stop listening to people. I will be making this move by myself and was considering San Diego or San Jose (I heard these two areas have lots of IT jobs). I am currently employed as a Network Engineer, so I think my chances are pretty good in finding a job. I don't think I will miss Maryland at all, therefore, I will give CALI a chance. AGAIN, thanks for all your responses.

Old 05-31-2007, 10:12 PM

208 posts, read 979,805 times
California is a BIG state with a lot of different areas/cultures.

LA vs. SF vs. Lake Tahoe vs. Redding vs. The Desert etc... are all very different

Pick an area you like. There is bound to be one.

Old 06-01-2007, 07:37 AM

471 posts, read 1,830,269 times
From your fellow Marylander-

Yes, please listen to people (and even with a grain of salt) that actually live or lived in California. When you move, join a social group (meetIN.org) in a nearby city where you can mingle with people your own age and find things to do. That's the only way you will experience actually living there
Besides, some of the things you mentioned people say about the DC area as well...

Old 06-01-2007, 10:25 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,199,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBayTodd View Post
California is a BIG state with a lot of different areas/cultures.

LA vs. SF vs. Lake Tahoe vs. Redding vs. The Desert etc... are all very different

Pick an area you like. There is bound to be one.
This is right on. With over 30 million people, and a plethora of different places to live that are all different from each other, Cali just about has something for everyone. You really can't imagine how much there is in Cali until you've spent some time there, traveling around and seeing it all.

Example? California contains both the highest and the lowest elevations in the continental United States. The landscape, the weather, the people all vary from area to area.

Best of luck!

Old 06-01-2007, 12:47 PM

15 posts, read 65,797 times
I lived in Orange county CA for most of my life and can tell you that,

1. People here can be superficial
2. no not everyone is rich and beautiful
3. Rents are expensive, but you can find cheaper housing in Long Beach
4. People can be friendly it all depends on you, but don't expect deep insights.
5. There are many chuches and chuch going people here.
6. There are no seasons
7. You do need a car because public transportation is horrible.
8. There are many things to do in Socal. More then you would find anywhere else.

Old 06-01-2007, 05:24 PM

17 posts, read 100,303 times
not true at all.
1) superficial- i have been to mostr states in the US the California Attitude- i did not even notice in my self until i left the state. conclusion- its a local cultural behavior that most dont know their doing.
2) I see lots for poor and ugly people hanging about
3) there is a home for every income level- but you get what you pay for
4) fake- dont know- it is hard to make friends- there is no City center- there are dozens of centers- tons of entertainment- its the capital.
5) whats a heedan ?
6) whats wrong with a perpetual summer-

Old 06-04-2007, 02:20 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,199,835 times
California is so big and varied that it's absolutely futile to try to generalize the whole state. Just visit and see for yourself. The stereotypes exist in large numbers as do the non-stereotypes. Anyone who tries to sum up 32 million people as 1 type of person is an idiot, as is anyone who would believe it.

Old 07-27-2007, 09:18 PM

106 posts, read 316,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by candis View Post
Thank you ALL so much for responding to my post. I guess you guys proved the naysayers wrong. I will definately visit in the near future before making the move. I am taking the advice and looking at it as a temporary move and whatever happens, happens. This will be another big move for me...that is why I am talking to so many people... however, I need to do what I need to do and stop listening to people. I will be making this move by myself and was considering San Diego or San Jose (I heard these two areas have lots of IT jobs). I am currently employed as a Network Engineer, so I think my chances are pretty good in finding a job. I don't think I will miss Maryland at all, therefore, I will give CALI a chance. AGAIN, thanks for all your responses.
My vote is San Diego! An Awesome city with pretty much anything you want/need and plenty of great weather!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California