Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 07:21 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,722,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda-by-the-sea View Post
Obviously you didn't understand my last post either. Whenever an allegation of "racism" is leveled on the internet the accuser is making certain assumptions about the ethnic background of the poster. You and Clarks automatically presumed I couldn't possibly Hispanic. Isn't that a bit racist in itself? What...you figured a Spanish-speaker should be out planting in the strawberry fields on a day like this...or maybe couldn't possibly be computer-literate?

What is ethnically offensive is the automatic assumption that everyone who posts on the internet in clear English must be an Anglo from middle-class America. How dare any of you presume to know about where I was born, what my ethnic heritage is and what kind of cultural upbringing has shaped my life!
I don't care if you're Hispanic or not.
It was an obnoxious and stupid comment and unnecessary and the the o.p. wants to move to America.
And even if the first part of your post is correct and informative (i don't know if it was or was not), the vibe was nasty.
And yeah, right , that's how i feel ... that a "Spanish speaker should be out planting". Sure lady.
And who the h_ _ _ assumes that everyone who posts on the internet is Anglo and from middle class America?
Not me.
What are you talking about?
Nasty people come from all parts of the world.

"Ethnically offensive"

"How dare any of you presume to know about where I was born, what my ethnic heritage is and what kind of cultural upbringing has shaped my life!"

No one assumed and i'm fairly sure no one cares where you're from but i do perceive you to be a poseur.
"Brenda by the Sea" You're kinda whacked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2010, 07:29 PM

1,504 posts, read 6,149,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarks View Post
And, you are factually wrong, the predominate language in Southern California is English and I challenge you to prove me wrong, if you can't then apologize to all normal non racist people.
As a matter of fact, he's not all that wrong. Spanish IS the predominant language in Imperial County by a 2:1 margin, and it's virtually tied with English in Los Angeles County.

Old 02-15-2010, 07:46 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,519,970 times
Yes, he is wrong.

Quote:
You and Clarks automatically presumed I couldn't possibly Hispanic. Isn't that a bit racist in itself? What...you figured a Spanish-speaker should be out planting in the strawberry fields on a day like this...or maybe couldn't possibly be computer-literate?
I don't give a )&%$ if you are hispanic, or inuit, or a solomon islander, if you make a racist comment you are a racist. You have made other posts that are fairly disgusting.

Old 02-15-2010, 07:54 PM

963 posts, read 3,032,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
I don't care if you're Hispanic or not.
It was an obnoxious and stupid comment and unnecessary and the the o.p. wants to move to America.
And even if the first part of your post is correct and informative (i don't know if it was or was not), the vibe was nasty.
And yeah, right , that's how i feel ... that a "Spanish speaker should be out planting". Sure lady.
And who the h_ _ _ assumes that everyone who posts on the internet is Anglo and from middle class America?
Not me.
What are you talking about?
Nasty people come from all parts of the world.

"Ethnically offensive"

"How dare any of you presume to know about where I was born, what my ethnic heritage is and what kind of cultural upbringing has shaped my life!"

No one assumed and i'm fairly sure no one cares where you're from but i do perceive you to be a poseur.
"Brenda by the Sea" You're kinda whacked.
Well you show a very immature and uninformed view of the Spanish-speaking world. It is you and Clarks who fired the bullet that it is inherently inferior to speak Spanish and that it is "racist" and "offensive" to point out that there is a high proportion of people who speak Spanish in a given area. I didn't imply anything of the sort, nor did I say that Spanish was the predominant language of southern California. I only drew the comparison between the bilingual culture of both areas. Anyone with more than a passing familiarity with Andalucía -- not you obviously -- knows that gazillions of ex-pat Brits have made the Costa del Sol their adopted home. One is as likely to hear English in Málaga or Torremolinos as one is likely to hear Spanish in Compton or San Bruno. Regardless of "official" language or the relative mix of the two, both southern California and southern Spain are a mixed salad of Spanish/English-speaking populations. Is that too much of a PC faux pas for a santacruzano to handle?

As for my heritage, I don't give rat's as...let me rephrase ...me importa madre lo que piensa UD. I don't have to prove my legitimacy to anyone...and certainly not to someone who presumes that Spanish-speaking culture is an inferior one. As for someone who goes by the handle of "coyoteske" labeling someone else as a poser? What's the English equivalent of el burro hablando de orejas...the pot calling the kettle black, maybe?

Old 02-15-2010, 08:01 PM

963 posts, read 3,032,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarks View Post
You have made other posts that are fairly disgusting.
Isn't there a saying about "people who live in glass houses"? Seems to me if we had a nominating committee search for the people who's posts have most often been accused of being rude and wacko, you'd be on the honor roll, Clarks. I guess one person's sense of humor or rhetorical style is another person's offensive comment. But some people go out of their way to find offense in what someone else has said.

Old 02-15-2010, 08:07 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,370,711 times
I believe young European women can get employment visas to work as a nanny. If you have any experience doing that there can be lots of wealthier American families who will hire a young woman from the UK for that kind of work.

Old 02-15-2010, 08:08 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda-by-the-sea View Post
Well...simple? How simple do you think it would be to get a U.S. employer to file a visa petition form for you? Employment visas are tied to the domestic labor shortage policy of the U.S. You can't get an immigration visa to work at Burger King. You need to have a critical job skill that is in short supply in the U.S. market. Formerly, that included various medical fields, some academic professorships and certain kinds of engineering and IT work. Now, even those people are in oversupply. There are also entertainment-work visas that allow international celebrities to work in the U.S. But in the current economic contraction, you'd have a tough time convincing the USCIS that you have a skill set that couldn't be filled by a domestic worker -- and that's really the criterion for earning a work visa. Immigration policy aims to protect the citizens of the U.S. from having their jobs displaced by foreign nationals.
If you want to work someplace that is like southern California, use your EU ties to go to southern Spain. The predominant language is the same as southern California's and the beaches and architecture are very similar.
Try again: the predominant language of SoCal is English, not Spanish.

Old 02-15-2010, 08:19 PM

268 posts, read 817,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephybaby View Post
Hi
i'm a 20 year old gal! looking to move to america!
Pref California but wouldn't tie down my options!
I understand how you can do it...
  • Family immigrant visa - if you have a spouse, fiancee or child who is a US citizen or US permanent resident
  • Employment-based immigrant visa - if you have a job offer in the US
  • Foreign investor immigrant visa - requiring an investment of $500,000-$1,000,000 in a newly established United States business entity
buttt i wanna know who's done it.. also who's done which ones etc..
how hard it is ? how long the process is?

And is it that simple if i had a job lined up i could apply and hopefully make the move?!

any info would be helpful

please tell me if i'm been naive or anything i just wanna know how to do it all by the books!

Can't believe i've read people annoucing there doing the move illegally! Couldn't believe my eyes!!
Millions of people come to live and work in California illegally all the time. Just get here, there is a huge infrastructure set up to employ illegal workers. In fact, the government looks the other way. Just move to a "Sanctuary" city. Los Angeles, San Francisco and San Diego are three off the top of my head that I can think of. Good luck.

Old 02-15-2010, 08:25 PM

Just remember, the Sanctuary Cities the whackos get so worked up about only exist on paper, Federal Law controls immigration, cities have no more control over illegals than they do over National Defense.

But, if you are in UK look into the Nanny programs, they can bring you here, give you a chance to experience life in the US, you may never go home.

A good friend of mine was an illegal immigrant in this country for many years, he was Brit.

Old 02-15-2010, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Isn't there a saying about "people who live in glass houses"? Seems to me if we had a nominating committee search for the people who's posts have most often been accused of being rude and wacko, you'd be on the honor roll, Clarks. I guess one person's sense of humor or rhetorical style is another person's offensive comment. But some people go out of their way to find offense in what someone else has said.
Brenda, you may not like facts, you may not like the reality based world, it may upset you, but baby, I got my facts straight, a simple thing that seems to be beyond the ability of a certain political persuasion in this poor country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California