Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2010, 09:55 AM

52 posts, read 412,387 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! I was hoping I could get some thoughts about our options right now from people who are familiar with these parts of California! I have loooved your beautiful state since a vacation in 2007 and had started the wheels in motion for a job search back then, but then the jobs in my industry (law) became so unstable that it wouldn't have made sense to make a move. Fast forward to now, two kids later and a slightly better economy! Just wondering about the potential of the following places...please let me know if I'm missing some huge piece of info or could elaborate or anything.

For some background info, we have two small kids, will possibly have more, I am a lawyer, my husband is a stay at home dad/student, we are boring as all get out (hehe), vegetarian, kind of homebodies, super sick of snow and generally miserable weather, and are looking for clean, middle-class, family-oriented, affordable (like starter home in the $500k range) places where we can make a long-term home. I'm cool with working hard but just don't want to do the 70 hour workweek thing plus six hours per day of commuting that is typical of NYC "biglaw."

Without further ado, what we are considering:

Palo Alto
The huge draw of PA is that my firm has an office there. It is teeny-tiny compared to the NY office, but the hours are amazing and everyone I know in that office seems very, very happy. My salary would be around $210k annually, conservatively. I don't 100% KNOW that I could get a transfer there, but at least I could ask, and it would be nice to have some continuity and not have to interview around, etc. We have been to SF before (not Palo Alto though) and really liked the vibe, although not necessarily the city of SF itself. I think we're definitely suburban types now - we need the space!

The big con to this plan is of course that PA is redonkulously expensive. Except for "East Palo Alto," and it seems like there's still a lot of stigma about it despite the gentrification. We looked at some of the surrounding areas and they don't seem that much more affordable. But I do hear the public schools are great and so at least we don't need to shell out for school!!

OC/San Diego
I know these two places are definitely different, but I am lumping them together right now since I've never been to either before and my pros/cons right now are sort of similar.

The big draw of these two, that I can see, is that they are more affordable than PA. As in, we could get a house within our price range and afford it on just my salary, which is important while we have small children. However, salaries might be a bit lower than what I'm used to. Also, from what I understand, the weather is a lot nicer than in Northern California, although I could be wrong.

The cons are that I would have to try to find a job in either place from scratch. Not a deal killer, but still... And also we know nothing about these places and know no one there, as opposed to SF where I have a handful of friends. We'll be visiting these places on vacation next month so I'll have a better idea by then, I hope.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 12:51 PM

7,373 posts, read 15,939,152 times
The fact that you have friends in the SF Bay area would make Palo Alto the obvious choice. The weather isn't that drastically different from the Bay Area to San Diego. I'm used to SoCal weather, but living up here now and it's been a mild yet wet winter. You can enjoy the outdoors any time of year in either place.
Neither place is very affordable, and the places that are...well, there's a reason. East Palo Alto is probably not your kind of town.

Old 02-28-2010, 02:27 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,960,257 times
Wink North, South, somewhat the twain

On your visit you will discover that there are some distinct differences between northern and southern California. Weather for one, also in broad societal outlook. Very, very generally speaking one will find that the south tends to be more conservative than up north, but this really depends more on the exact local, and as a group Californian's are more liberal and progressive than much of the nation. It will definitely depend on your own tastes as before long most people in California tend to associate strongly with either south or north and would not consider the other. There is talk at times, sometimes serious, of dividing the state in two. A further broad geographic divide would be areas near the coast generally more livable, progressive, expensive and temperate than inland. Although areas such as Lake Tahoe would put the lie to some of that.

As you've discerned, the areas selected are expensive, some of the highest priced real estate in the country. But you'll also discover that there are local variables which will make more difference than just the general region. In Palo Alto for instance, there are nearby communities such as Mountain View which are more affordable and still quite nice. Even within Palo Alto itself neighborhoods will distinctly vary, with the south being less expensive than the more heavily forested, desirable, and expensive north. Prices would be significantly less expensive, if still high, in East Palo Alto, but despite the name it bears little resemblance to the community so near, but a world away on the west side of US 101. Some like to say that East Palo Alto is gentrifying, and it has somewhat, less people get shot, but I remain puzzled why anyone would actually want to live there.

San Diego, naturally, tends to be most expensive near the coast. The weather is warmer than up north, many like it, with the ocean actually somewhat warm come summer. The Bay Area is a bit more temperate, cooler, but these are nuances one can best decide for themselves. La Jolla is a lovely area just north of San Diego, but expensive. Perhaps you could at last end up there, but at your stated price range more likely to begin in eastern San Diego.

Since you mention the OC, a reference to Cota de Caza might be in order. This is where the Bravo program 'The Real Housewives of Orange County' originates from. Whatever one may think of the program, it does provide a glimpse at the societal mores and lifestyle. Not that everything or everyone in the area would be similar, but informative if reading between the lines.

If you value the mountains more than beaches than northern California should be your focus. The Bay Area enjoys far better access, with a place such as Lake Tahoe roughly 4 hours distant. a much further drive from San Diego, with many in the south venturing up US 395 to Mammoth Lakes for winter recreation.

In short, it will prove a challenge in either local to find that you like best at your price point, but something pleasant enough possible. Your visit will probably help to quickly convince you which region you would prefer to further explore.

Old 02-28-2010, 02:36 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,134,059 times
Don't let the bucolic suburban setting fool you: PaloAlto area has world's highest concentration of IQ and wealth (and workaholics), only rivaled by MidtownManhattan....difference is near-perfect weather and air quality (not very different than that of coastal SD); short drives from suburban home to suburban office campus; and proximity to the many empty, scenic hills of Stanford campus and hills/mtns to West for convenient relaxation

Upside from career perspective is the vast array of BigTech cos. and interesting start-ups HQd in the PA-SJ corridor for one to pursue later career opps as in-house counsel; only valuable co. in SD is Qualcomm, not much else of an economy

PA public schools are arguably academically strongest in US; doubt similarly high-achieving schools (public or pvt) exist in SD region

PA has plenty of affordable rental houses as its residents range from penniless Stanford grad students and jr faculty...to some of world's most famous tech billionaires, all living within blocks of each other

Old 03-01-2010, 08:50 AM

52 posts, read 412,387 times
Thanks! I wasn't thinking about going in house anytime soon but that's really smart. Maybe I'll make a million off stock options and actually be able to afford a real HOUSE in Palo Alto! Hahaha. One day.

Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California