Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 10:58 AM

28 posts, read 59,458 times

Advertisements

I've lived in the northeast all my life, and I'm done. I can't stand the cold and all the snow. Also where I'm at summers are also unbearable, because of the humidity. You actually feel wet.

I recently visited the west side of Los Angeles and loved it. Probably a bit too crowded though to actually live there.

I've been reading and it sounds like there are many kinds of climates in California

Are there any warm all year rural areas, and not get ridiculously hot? Preferably a coastal area.

I am limited though. I'll only make about 40k a year when I first move out there.

I've moved way too much in my short life, and would like to find somewhere I can root myself down. A decent school area would be nice in-case I have kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 11:26 AM

2,497 posts, read 7,448,869 times
I hear ya. I'm done with cold too. It's ok for a month or 2, but we have not seen the grass since November, my body can't take it anymore either, ridiculous. And yes, the summers suck because if your not dripping wet from humidity, the mosquitos are eating you alive. But hey things are cheap!
Now that I am done belly aching I'll give you a few links to check out.
Good luck!!!!!

PS- You will have the haters on here hell bent to stop people from entering and making a life in their already overcrowded state, just hit the ignore button.

San Luis Obispo, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Temecula, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ventura County, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-28-2010, 12:02 PM

1,044 posts, read 2,757,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggles603 View Post
Are there any warm all year rural areas, and not get ridiculously hot? Preferably a coastal area.

I am limited though. I'll only make about 40k a year when I first move out there.
What do you mean by warm? Pretty much anywhere in California gets cold sometimes (say, below 50F). And many parts get ridiculously hot sometimes as well (say, above 90F): LA during the hottest part of the summer is no fun at all. What temperature range are you looking for?

P.S. If there were anywhere in the state that was always warm and never hot, I doubt that $40k/year would be enough to live there.

Last edited by jbunniii; 02-28-2010 at 12:11 PM..

Old 02-28-2010, 12:08 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,339,200 times
The coastal areas are going to have the mildest climates. Go inland (even a little) and the winters get colder and the summers get hotter. Coastal areas with any jobs are crowded and expensive. Coastal San Diego is probably your best bet climate wise, but its neither cheap nor rural. Throw good schools in and you're talking super expensive. Which of your mutually exclusive requirements are you willing to give up in order to balance this equation?

Old 02-28-2010, 12:40 PM

Thanks for the links

See I'm not sure what a low humid 90 degrees feels like.

I could stand to live in a little less rural area. Maybe even not worry too much about the schools, until I have a better income, as long as its a safer area. I don't have kids yet, just planning for the future is all. I'll probably have to move again.

Old 02-28-2010, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggles603 View Post
See I'm not sure what a low humid 90 degrees feels like.
Dry and 90 isn't too bad but we tend to get some humidity during the hottest part of the year which is August and September for SoCal. Two years ago when I flew home from Denver in August, I though I'd gotten off the plane in Texas instead of Orange County. The air felt so thick and heavy compared to the truly dry air of Denver. The rest of the year, humidity isn't a problem.

Old 02-28-2010, 01:16 PM

ah,

I don't know if you guys have them there, but out here they have tv ads to get more people out to california.

It seems a little ridiculous, everyone knows about california. The reason more people don't move that way and move out, is the cost of living.

Finding a way to lower that would be better than putting out tv ads.

Old 02-28-2010, 01:18 PM

I'm sure those are tourism ads, not ads trying to get people to move here. The biggest cost of living issue is housing and most of that is driven by supply and demand. There's not much anyone can do about that.

Old 02-28-2010, 01:44 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,696,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
I'm sure those are tourism ads, not ads trying to get people to move here. The biggest cost of living issue is housing and most of that is driven by supply and demand. There's not much anyone can do about that.
I don't watch t.v. much but i just happened to see one of those ads last night and no, they're enticing people to move to / live in California.
No wonder people come to California and become disillusioned ... the Hollywood version!
O.P .... those ads (or at least that one in particular) don't exactly represent the California that you will necessarily find although the coast of CA is truly beautiful and, if you're willing and able to live simply and frugally you can live on or near the coast with your budget.
I know New England well.
You will never experience anything even close to the humidity of the northeast and, unless you live in the high elevations (like the Sierra for example) you will never experience anything close to the cold temps of New England.
Unless your heart is set on SoCal you might want to consider the central coast.
I'm in Santa Cruz county and it's very expensive but there are areas to the south of bit ... like the San Louis Obispo area ... that you may like and that are not so outrageously pricey ... still very expensive compared to much of New England though.
It does rain in the winter (sometimes a lot - like this winter!) and there is fog that rolls in and out along the coast during the warmer months (it's lovely though) but again, you'll never experience the extremes in cold and humidity like you know in the northeast ... not even close.
And when it rains, you don't have that oppressive / "socked in" feeling that i'm sure you're familiar with.
If you can afford it, i recommend staying close to the coast and avoid the central valley.

Old 02-28-2010, 02:37 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,166,964 times
I'll say that the San Luis Obispo area is really nice, lots of stuff to do, it has a night life, great shopping, a bit of history, etc. Very green and beautiful, and you probably won't need much more than a hoodie and jeans for when it gets cool.

Wish I would have lived there during my time in CA, but..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California