Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 12:36 PM

7 posts, read 17,712 times

Advertisements

I'm a divorced mom early 30's with a small child in elementary school.

I want to move back to California this year. I lived in L.A for many years. I have a love/hate relationship with it.
Like a lot of people, I can't afford my ideal place in L.A (Malibu).

I like L.A's trendy energy, variety, beautiful landmarks, Hollywood, canyons, ocean etc.
But, I hate how EVERY place you go is CROWDED beyond belief, that you need to speak spanish to order food at mcdonalds (figuratively speaking, but almost literally), TRAFFIC, high cost of living for CRAPPY apts, how L.A is in a 1970's time warp with it's architecture, and parts of it is Hot as Hell. I thought I was living in an oven.

Some of the places I have been looking at are San Diego, San Francisco, Orange County, Maybe San Jose?

Needs/Wants- A calmer, less crowded version of L.A.
Specifically within 45 minutes of the Ocean, Apt in a SAFE area under $1600 a month (willing to get a 1 bedroom for this price if safe and nice), Family Friendly (zoo's, aquarium, a great science museum - planetarium etc)

Not Interested In- Farm towns, Hick towns, Dangerous, Noisy, Poor Schools, Flood Prone, Excessive heat (105+).

Basically I am open to a suburban area within 45 minutes of the city, but I still want to feel like I'm in California not some small town in Iowa..... Or Mexico.

I work from home so work commute isn't an issue, but need to be in a decent school district.

Could you please recommend some specific areas in the cities above (or maybe even a new place I haven't thought of).

Thanks in Advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 01:26 PM

13,825 posts, read 29,831,611 times
South Orange County (from the 5/405 split, southward).

But I believe even down there you might have to speak Spanish to order food at McDonald's.

Old 03-01-2010, 01:31 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,086,443 times
Oakland meets most of your criteria, and there are some very nice neighborhoods in the hills that not many people know about - there you get the proximity to water, a good zoo, an aquarium a few miles up in Vallejo, calm mild weather. The traffic is Los Angeles bad, but there is a good BART rail/subway system. But it's just barely within your budget in the nice parts, the schools aren't the best, and the housing stock isn't any more modern.

Old 03-01-2010, 01:40 PM

Hey David,
Actually you're right, there's some parts of south O.C that are cool, I should look into it.
Sonnarrat- Thanks for Oakland info, but I haven't heard a lot of good things about it and from what you said about the poor schools etc, I will keep looking, but I appreciate it:-)
Thanks to both of you!

Old 03-01-2010, 01:46 PM

3 posts, read 7,549 times
I grew up out in LA as well. Glendora area. I now live in MN and am also trying to move back home. lol small world. The Glendora area is still great..nice quiet area and very good schools.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:38 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,364,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zlm837 View Post
Not Interested In- Farm towns, Hick towns, Dangerous, Noisy, Poor Schools, Flood Prone, Excessive heat (105+).

Basically I am open to a suburban area within 45 minutes of the city, but I still want to feel like I'm in California not some small town in Iowa..... Or Mexico.

I work from home so work commute isn't an issue, but need to be in a decent school district.

Could you please recommend some specific areas in the cities above (or maybe even a new place I haven't thought of).

Thanks in Advance!!
Well, you've certainly ruled out Sacramento right off the top! Have you considered the central coast area such as inland areas near Santa Cruz or San Luis Obispo?

Old 03-01-2010, 03:10 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,056,902 times
Quote:
I'm a divorced mom early 30's with a small child in elementary school.

I want to move back to California this year. I lived in L.A for many years. I have a love/hate relationship with it.
Like a lot of people, I can't afford my ideal place in L.A (Malibu).

I like L.A's trendy energy, variety, beautiful landmarks, Hollywood, canyons, ocean etc.
But, I hate how EVERY place you go is CROWDED beyond belief, that you need to speak spanish to order food at mcdonalds (figuratively speaking, but almost literally), TRAFFIC, high cost of living for CRAPPY apts, how L.A is in a 1970's time warp with it's architecture, and parts of it is Hot as Hell. I thought I was living in an oven.

Some of the places I have been looking at are San Diego, San Francisco, Orange County, Maybe San Jose?

Needs/Wants- A calmer, less crowded version of L.A.
Specifically within 45 minutes of the Ocean, Apt in a SAFE area under $1600 a month (willing to get a 1 bedroom for this price if safe and nice), Family Friendly (zoo's, aquarium, a great science museum - planetarium etc)

Thanks in Advance!!
san diego-
look at poway and parts of escondido,La Mesa,and clairemont,for traditional family neighborhoods. And look at north park,south park,mission hills,kensington,normal heights for more urban areas that are hip and funky.

Your post screams SD to me.
MUCH more so than anywhere in OC.
SD is basically a slower version of LA,in terms of so cal vibe,weather,laid back lifestyle. And SD is much more laid back,though not without some traffic,etc. But NOTHING like LA's.
No,it has none of the cosmopolitan vibe,and in terms of arts and food,etc. it pales. But it is a smaller city 1.5 million,4 million in the county,and it does have a number of world-class offerings-ie,SD zoo,balboa park,La Jolla,Del Mar,etc. It's regarded as a great place to raise a family;I am doing this,and I agree.

I am actually surprised noone else is recommending SD right off the top for you.
Weather's the same as LA;it's two hours or less to visit LA. Airport in SD is good. Access to beaches and number of beaches is better in SD than in LA.

Old 03-01-2010, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrmsd View Post
san diego-
look at poway and parts of escondido,La Mesa,and clairemont,for traditional family neighborhoods. And look at north park,south park,mission hills,kensington,normal heights for more urban areas that are hip and funky.

Your post screams SD to me.
MUCH more so than anywhere in OC.
SD is basically a slower version of LA,in terms of so cal vibe,weather,laid back lifestyle. And SD is much more laid back,though not without some traffic,etc. But NOTHING like LA's.
No,it has none of the cosmopolitan vibe,and in terms of arts and food,etc. it pales. But it is a smaller city 1.5 million,4 million in the county,and it does have a number of world-class offerings-ie,SD zoo,balboa park,La Jolla,Del Mar,etc. It's regarded as a great place to raise a family;I am doing this,and I agree.

I am actually surprised noone else is recommending SD right off the top for you.
Weather's the same as LA;it's two hours or less to visit LA. Airport in SD is good. Access to beaches and number of beaches is better in SD than in LA.
ps-we live in carmel valley-3 miles from the beach and torrey pines state park,just north of la jolla nd south of del mar,and in a district that is one of the most desireable for schools in SD. We pay 1460 for a 2/2 apt in a resort type complex-ie,tennis,pool,etc.-with w/d in unit,extremely safe and quiet.Tons of kids around,walking distance to parks,rec center,library,schools,etc. and convenient to freeways. SD also does not have 'all points go to the same place'-there are numerous areas where people drive for work/industry. so the traffic flows in multiple directions. carmel valley is convenient to north county and central SD. 20 min. to most places. and did i mention 3 miles from the beach? you do not even have to go n the freeway. and a hawk was on my porch railing the other day. bunnies run around in the grass sometimes,wild. seriously.

Your budget will definitely get you a condo or nice apt. in SD. And possibly in a small house,in the areas I mentioned above.

Old 03-01-2010, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Hey David,
Actually you're right, there's some parts of south O.C that are cool, I should look into it.
Sonnarrat- Thanks for Oakland info, but I haven't heard a lot of good things about it and from what you said about the poor schools etc, I will keep looking, but I appreciate it:-)
Thanks to both of you!
SD more than OC. for sure. and i do like parts of oc,have friends in laguna beach and san clemente. but Sd sounds more like what you are looking for.

Old 03-01-2010, 03:52 PM

Thanks so much you guys, this is very helpful and exciting!
I have been to San Diego a few times when I lived in L.A, it was GORGEOUS and I secretly longed to move there, but the L.A girl in me said Nooo. Lol

Curmudgeon- I don't know anything about Santa Cruz and I did look into SLO a while ago, although nice, it didn't "excite" me.

Good Luck with your move "momof1"!!

LRMSD- You should have your own blog or something;-) Very helpful!
If I could get a nice place, especially a TWO bdrm for what you're paying I'd be in Heaven! I will DEFINITELY look into the areas you told me.

You guys are Super!

Sandra:-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California