Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 05:18 PM

18,962 posts, read 32,433,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Maybe it's time not to consider the ticket someone's running on but their experience and their track record. Jerry's been proven to be fiscally responsible. I'd be very concerned at having an inexperienced new governor at the helm right now... someone who knows the ropes is strongly indicated.
CA's problems today are different than CA's problems in the past when he was governor. His past experiance and success should count for something but considering how much the state has changed since his governorship, that's not something I would vote someone into office solely on. There's a lot of people like me that don't really know Jerry Brown and what he did in the past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 05:27 PM

3,876 posts, read 3,855,222 times
Even though I agree that Schwarzeneggar is a really poor Governor,Jerry Brown is an extreme Liberal just google his State Supreme Court appointee Rose Bird and you'll understand the wisdom of his choices.This guy will pander to career criminals,Illlegal Aliens,Gay rights and any other pet Liberal causes.If they had a Moderate Democrat run it would have been a lot better.That being said it should be an interesting race.

Old 03-03-2010, 05:47 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,051,182 times
Yes the state had a surplus under Gov Jerry Brown. Governor Ronald Reagan before him also had budget surpluses (along with tax rebates). Does that mean either man (or party) singlehandedly created the surpluses? No.

The last time California's unemployment rate was over 10% was during Jerry Brown's second term in office. Why can't we give him credit for that too?

State budget spending rose from about $12 billion in 1975 to about $19 billion in 1978 under Gov Jerry Brown. So he really did not reign in spending, in spite of pointing at the surplus from back then. And instead of investing his surplus in infrastructure, reducing taxes, paying off bonds, etc, Jerry held on to the tax money.

Meantime, rising real estate prices were creating large property tax increases paid to local government. The thought process among voters became, "I'm paying much more in property taxes while the state is also taking money from me it doesn't appear to need (the surplus)."

Jerry's unused large surplus was one of the key drivers of taxpayer anger. Voila, the taxpayer revolts of Prop 13, Prop 4 (the Gann initiative), etc.

Jerry Brown then used the surplus to prop up local government (like schools) hit by property tax drops instead of helping them find new local sources of funding or cuts. That continues today and is a big reason why the state has so much control today over schools (and counties, etc), which makes it interesting when he says he wants a return to local control.

And in Jerry Brown's last budget year as governor, California had a $1 billion budget deficit (on a $22 billion budget). He didn't always give us surpluses.

People should do some fact digging and decide for themselves, not take Jerry's campaign spin (or even my current view for that matter and I was a supporter in his first run for governor).

He might or might not be a good governor in the future, but don't let his campaign present only one good view of his term as governor in the 70s. He has to accept responsibility for all of his actions back then along with saying words today.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:55 PM

126 posts, read 160,594 times
For all those already down on Brown, what do you suggest or whom?

Old 03-03-2010, 07:48 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,317,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown Oakland View Post
For all those already down on Brown, what do you suggest or whom?
Anyone not from Oakland!

Old 03-03-2010, 09:11 PM

7,373 posts, read 15,941,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Anyone not from Oakland!
Oh, come on!

Now, guess what I've got in my hand?

Old 03-03-2010, 09:34 PM

The people who already decided they are against him are pretty much just as bad as those that already decided they are voting for him. Why would anyone even make up their mind about this so early? At least hear the guy out and see what he has to say rather than be stuck in your 30+ year old stereotypes. Some of you are just as bad as the voters you complain about.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
The people who already decided they are against him are pretty much just as bad as those that already decided they are voting for him. Why would anyone even make up their mind about this so early? At least hear the guy out and see what he has to say rather than be stuck in your 30+ year old stereotypes. Some of you are just as bad as the voters you complain about.
Some of us remember how he sold out the state and the civil service system to the labor unions, appointed radical leftists to the State Supreme Court and was vehemently agains Prop. 13 before he was for it the day after it passed.

That's not a stereotype. That's Jerry Brown!

Old 03-03-2010, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Some of us remember how he sold out the state and the civil service system to the labor unions, appointed radical leftists to the State Supreme Court and was vehemently agains Prop. 13 before he was for it the day after it passed.

That's not a stereotype. That's Jerry Brown!
Yes, some of you are still stuck in the past and will remain so. I get that already.

Those labor unions and their cushy benefits sure helped you out in your retirement though, didn't it?

Old 03-03-2010, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Yes, some of you are still stuck in the past and will remain so. I get that already.

Those labor unions and their cushy benefits sure helped you out in your retirement though, didn't it?
Those who ignore history are condemned to repeat it.

The rest isn't the point and you know it. We received better and more consistent raises before the unions got involved. Anyway, I was in management and excluded from collective bargaining. I worked hard, invested wisely and paid for my retirement. I owe nothing to the unions or Jerry Brown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California