Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 09:26 AM

1,687 posts, read 6,072,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
After Edmond Brown, Jerry's dad, left office the state was in financial trouble. Ronald Reagan became govonor and during his time he was able to cut costs and yes he did raise taxes to get us out of the mess that Edmond had left us in. By the time Reagan left in 1974 the state had that large surplus that you are speaking about.

Jerry Brown didn't create the surplus, Ronald Reagan did. What Jerry Brown did was spend the surplus. He knows how to spend other peoples money. Before you elect him to run the State make sure your history includes what happened to get that surplus and see what happened during and after Browns time in office.
Unfortunately, the spin doctors will take advantage of people who will have a hard time accepting that the "evil" Republican Ronald Reagan could have had a state budget surplus before Brown.

I'm with you, voters need to do their research first. Look at the history. Then if people still want to vote for one candidate or another, fine.

But people need to make an informed choice, not one based on an image created from half-truths or omitted/hidden facts.

As I said before, I want Jerry to talk about the results of his previous actions and their good or bad impact on the state today, own up to all of his role in where we are today. He wasn't all good or all bad before, but he also parses/hedges his statements and spins his image like most politicians.

I'm looking today for someone more direct who can admit to mistakes, not just take credit for good stuff or spout meaningless words. And no I haven't made up my mind yet about any candidate.

LittleDolphin, don't forget that Jerry Brown was "an inexperienced, never-run-a-state newbie" back in 1974. Doesn't that mean that it can work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 10:22 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Those who ignore history are condemned to repeat it.
Just b/c I'm not living in it like some doesn't mean I'm ignoring it. I'm not saying I'm voting for him already but am at least willing to hear his ideas and what he wants to do. That's a helluva lot better than just writing him off automatically b/c of what political party he belongs too or b/c of who he was 30+ years ago. Again, people that do that are no better than those that already decided they were gonna vote for him b/c of his party and who he was.

Old 03-04-2010, 11:28 AM

7,125 posts, read 12,661,810 times
Yes, indeed, Jerry Brown was a newbie during his first tenure. But he came from a background of a political family, so he had that strength.

You must admit that CA's problems at this moment in time are deep, troubling and complex. Problems that will take an astute and experienced political 'CEO' to handle.

If I had a huge entity in deep fiscal difficulties, as California is now, I'd certainly do an executive job search to locate a political 'CEO' with the best understanding and experience in my particular industry to take the lead. In other words, an experienced statesman with the best qualifications.

In my opinion, Jerry Brown has the best resume, the most experience and knows how to get things done in Sacramento.

At this troubling time in California's history,this is not the time for on-the-job-training of a green political CEO on how to head California's most senior role. Nope, I'd want someone who is well-qualified to hit the ground running.

That would be Brown.

Old 03-04-2010, 11:40 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,193,073 times
we get it, you're voting for Brown.

Old 03-04-2010, 01:59 PM

Actually, I'm not--it would be illegal...because right now I'm living in North Carolina.

Old 03-04-2010, 11:40 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,222,517 times
From AaaNold to Governor Moonbeam. Out of the frying pan and into the fire. If he wins, perhaps he will bring back Linda Ronstadt to sing at his inauguration?

Old 03-04-2010, 11:45 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,012,366 times

Old 03-05-2010, 12:05 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,381,429 times
The image of a hillbilly named Meg running this state is absolutely absurd. Especially since she's from the same pathetic clueless party that dumped that village idiot on this country and that bodybuilding Neanderthal on this state. Her ads sound like pure crap. The usual tired Republican positions have no place in modern society and are ineffective.

Tragic that the Dems can only muster an old geezer like Jerry Brown as a candidate. Brown looks so damn dated, looking more and more like Ichabod Crane. Jerry "Ichabod" Brown. I wonder what new ideas he can generate. He's still far better than any Republican.

But where the hell is the new Democrat blood in this godforsaken state?

Old 03-05-2010, 06:39 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
But where the hell is the new Democrat blood in this godforsaken state?
There is none. Anymore they're all so politically incestuous that one size fits all!

Old 03-05-2010, 07:05 AM

Maybe there's no new blood because the voters would rather attack candidates because of:

instead of considering their:

ideas
experience
education

??

Just a thought...sure wouldn't make me want to run if people won't dig beneath the surface but are quick to judge on superficial reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California