Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 12:43 AM

1,920 posts, read 2,779,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by person View Post
I had to move from California to Texas, its end up just too expensive for me, welcoming or not. I missed the weather and the beauty, and the mountains, and its proximity to other cool areas like pacific NW, Vegas and such. I don't hate Texas as some of transplants do, but I am not that impressed either.
No world class natural beauty, they have attractions but nothing compare to CA's and Pacific NW. You can drive miles here without seeing anything and then see other similar cities, whereas in CA, you can drive from one great place to another totally different great place, and still see other great stuff in between.

Its all good, but I would rather live in a house at a bland place rather than live in a car in a beautiful place cause I have a family to take care of. So until I have more money, I would move back to CA, OR or WA.
I feel your pain man. I moved from the Pac NW. I used to live in California. Both are too expensive for me based on my job opportunities. I found a wonderful happy medium, Check out Colorado. Its slightly more expensive than Texas, but not nearly as the WEST COAST that we love. It has mountains, sunshine...and of course, snow. Texas is a horrible state with absolutely nothing in the way of beauty. You might have a little better time dealing with it, California, as pretty as it can be is mostley brown. the temp in cali can get hot. A good hot though, not the muggy crap I endure day after miserable day. PNW is lush green everyhwere all the time. Texas is ugly, hot, humid and so flat it makes me want to stay home on my days off.
Its not cheaper here either, compared to Colorado if you really compare. The property taxes are outrageous, the HOAs are expensive in texas. Gas is about the only real bargin in Texas. Wages are much lower in Texas. DId I mention I hate texas? I hate that damn lone stare every where I look...I cant get away from it when I am in the texas borders.

Old 09-02-2007, 06:34 AM

1,831 posts, read 5,293,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Probably because California doesn't know any better; hence our overcrowding and ultra-high crime rate.

It's PC to "celebrate our diversity." God forbid you mention any nexus between "diversity" and gangs although there are plenty of home-grown ones here too.

Can't wait to leave!
This really aggravates me ... it's pure ignorance.

California does NOT have an ultra-high crime rate. Nevada has more of crime problem than we do. Read the data people!

We actually have 150,000 less violent crimes today than in 1992, even though the population has increased by 6 million people!

Why? The three strikes law. Locking up criminals works ... because they can't hurt anybody in prison.

Old 09-02-2007, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
Wages are much lower in Texas.
Yeah ... that's the tricky part about lower cost states. How far is lower cost of living going to get you if wages are stagnant? If wages are barely keeping up with inflation then, that's not going to help very much either.

Old 09-02-2007, 07:25 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
I moved from California to Colorado. I never have anyone bugging me though I don't drive around Denver sports bars with Laker and Dodger bumper stickers.

Colorado is a lot like California in that many people are not natives.

I didn't dig on 70% of Dodger Stadium rooting for the mets when they were in town (or the yankees or redsox at Anaheim, rangers at the Kings, etc.), but what are you going to do?

Now that I am the "transplant", it is easier to reconcile being the (theoretically) hated than the hater.

Old 09-02-2007, 08:40 AM

320 posts, read 1,733,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri257 View Post
This really aggravates me ... it's pure ignorance.

California does NOT have an ultra-high crime rate. Nevada has more of crime problem than we do. Read the data people!

We actually have 150,000 less violent crimes today than in 1992, even though the population has increased by 6 million people!

Why? The three strikes law. Locking up criminals works ... because they can't hurt anybody in prison.
The 3 strike laws has also beena real problem for other states. Once the criminals get the second strike they move to another state and start plying their trade there. Crime maybe down in CA but only because they are exporting their crimials.

Old 09-02-2007, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfSoCal View Post
The 3 strike laws has also beena real problem for other states. Once the criminals get the second strike they move to another state and start plying their trade there. Crime maybe down in CA but only because they are exporting their crimials.
Quite frankly ... what do I care? I don't live in other states, I live in California.

Whether they're in prison or move out of state to avoid a third strike ... as long as crime is down where I live, I'm happy. If California is driving bad elements out with three strikes, that's fine by me.

But I really get tired of people saying crime is way up here when, in fact, it's not ... the exact opposite is true.

Old 09-02-2007, 06:13 PM

168 posts, read 637,290 times
Default But whose criminals are they, really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfSoCal View Post
I can see how it would look that way on the face of it, but considering how many people pour into CA from every state, CA is already taking care of "other states'" problem people, for the first 2 counts. I'd be willing to bet that a review of the birthplaces of those in CA's jails would show a very high percentage from out of state. So, they may not be going "home" exactly, but they weren't all CA's to begin with.

Old 09-02-2007, 09:24 PM

38,881 posts, read 22,864,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheri257 View Post
Quite frankly ... what do I care? I don't live in other states, I live in California.

Whether they're in prison or move out of state to avoid a third strike ... as long as crime is down where I live, I'm happy. If California is driving bad elements out with three strikes, that's fine by me.

But I really get tired of people saying crime is way up here when, in fact, it's not ... the exact opposite is true.
It would be helpful if those claiming we have a high crime rate here can post or provide links to comparative crime statistics.

Old 09-03-2007, 09:30 AM

203 posts, read 766,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Bthere View Post
I thought I had a good and honest point in my last post but now I KNOW I made a good one. Even in a forum what I spoke about is true! Welcome to California!
You are right, canwait2bthere! Californians are just to busy to notice anyone that they don't have to have direct contact with. And the number of people we need to have direct contact with is getting smaller daily. It drives me crazy to be out somewhere or walking down the street and have absolutely nobody acknowledge that I am even alive. I like to talk, say hello, (heaven forbid) smile!

Of course, in some places you don't want to look at the other people for fear of what they might do to you if they think you are looking at them in the wrong way.

Old 09-03-2007, 12:53 PM

8,491 posts, read 4,735,625 times
I think I've noticed that. We moved to Texas a couple years back, and it's to the point where I almost hide the fact that I'm from California. People will instantly gloss over and think of me as some surfer hippie without taking the time to know me or realize that not all Californians are of the stereotype that it perpetuates alarmingly well...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California