U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 10:37 AM

193 posts, read 1,311,538 times

Advertisements

MIDGEJOHN>>>>oh how intresting that you moved to Oregon. How was that?
I ask because my husband and I have been looking to move to Oregon. In fact that is how I was introduced these state forums, from reading up the stats on cities in Oregon.

I know very well about the animosity that some Oregonians are not shy sharing about Califorina's. There are TONS of posts on that in the Oregon forums.

I am with you...when we move there I don't plan on advertising that I am from here. Not that I am ashamed but why go looking for trouble, right.

May I ask why you left Oregon?

Old 06-08-2007, 12:09 PM

1,965 posts, read 5,776,372 times
People project both their dreams and nightmares on California. It's what they see in the movies and assume it is Hollywood or "wacky". California, like NYC, attracts people from throughout the nation and therefore is used to people from other places. For other states, particularly the South, this is a new phenom and many have not adjusted. Younger people in the South seem far more welcoming (that may be in part b/c they also are new). For people who have lived there entire life in one place they often view newcomers as "outsiders".

Old 06-08-2007, 12:53 PM

58 posts, read 168,060 times
I like it when new people move to California. Figure it makes life more interesting and also helps the economy. When you are from somewhere else, like I am, you appreciate new people coming in.

Old 06-08-2007, 06:15 PM

42 posts, read 213,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Bthere View Post
Yeah, California does have an accent and it even has a name...it's called
C-Dialect. It is the english of Hollywood, and the dialect spoken by major broadcaster nationwide. Proper C-dialect english is the standard in the televison industry; that's not to say you won't hear other dialects of english on tv, depending on the setting/theme of the sitcom or whatever. But people all over the world who are exposed to American pop culture and CNN are familiar with the way California's speak, and for the most part, it is our english that they associate with the United States.

If any of you who have this accent ever go to some third world country, don't be surprised if some stranger asks you if you are from Hollywood. It has happened to me.

Though I was honest and said 'no', I have wondered what would have happened had I said 'yes'.
At least Valspeak is widespread thanks to media, but Calspeak () is only spoken by Californians. Our English definitely isn't standard according to national media. Hollywenglish and News-English are based on General American English, which is considered to be the dialects spoken in this general area --

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en-commons/thumb/2/21/180px-General_American.png (broken link)

So that is what actors and newsreporters learn, but their native dialects always come out if they don't speak General American natively. They just tone down their own dialect.

Old 06-09-2007, 12:48 AM

104 posts, read 445,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantWait2Bthere View Post
MIDGEJOHN>>>>oh how intresting that you moved to Oregon. How was that?
I ask because my husband and I have been looking to move to Oregon. In fact that is how I was introduced these state forums, from reading up the stats on cities in Oregon.

I know very well about the animosity that some Oregonians are not shy sharing about Califorina's. There are TONS of posts on that in the Oregon forums.

I am with you...when we move there I don't plan on advertising that I am from here. Not that I am ashamed but why go looking for trouble, right.

May I ask why you left Oregon?
I can say, from experience, that Oregonians are probably the most rabidly anti-Californian people in the nation. My mother lived in California for the past 20-or-so years, then moved to Montana, then Idaho, then outside Klamath Falls, Oregon. Thankfully she had 'laundered' herself of her Californian status before moving to Oregon.

I was watching a program on the Discovery Channel (I think it was) where they were trying to determine if the marked border between California and Oregon was in the correct spot (it wasn't). As the host and some guys from the USGS were walking down the side of the highway along the coast, they spotted a guy pulling up from a dirt road from his house onto the highway, on the "supposed" Oregon side of the border, so they stopped and interviewed him.

The host of the show told him: "Do you realize that you're actually living in California... the border is actually supposed to be about 100 yards up the road". The look on the guys face told all... and he replied "Hell no! I ain't no Californian!" and sped off down the highway. If he could've reached the host out of his truck window, he probably would've punched him in the face.

Now I don't want to generalize, but when I was considering purchasing a house close to my mother (until i realized that Oregon has no economy if you get any more than about 20 miles off of I-5), even the realtor told me that there were a lot of people that probably wouldn't be too accepting, and that I should get my license plates swapped as soon as I could after moving.

Old 06-10-2007, 07:48 AM

1,554 posts, read 4,134,373 times
Hey everyone chill out! You all just don't get it. The reason everyone in California are exceptable to out of state people because we are all walk of life here in california. Yes there are a lot of home grown Californian here in Cali but our state is huge with people. It is so crowded it here that you won't even know who is or not from here. We except all cultures here. Now the other State are not so friendly at first because they don't know you . You have to understand small towns know everyone and when a new person come in everyone knows it. They are skeptical of new people because they don't know you yet. I moved to NC 1 year ago and yes it was hard to make friends but I joined a club and help the community and that what got me in. I was in cultural shock here because when the first time I went shopping at the Grocery store strangers will strike up a conversation with you. You don't or ever get that from stranger in California. You can't in California becaus you might get mugged or shot. This community has it default but over all it is the Greatest place to live. Now I have more friends that I did in back in California. You have to turn the boat to understand why it is harder to be expected to one State than another. It will never be easy at first but it will get better in the long run for you and your family.

Old 06-10-2007, 08:05 AM

1,920 posts, read 2,259,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kareybear View Post
Hey everyone chill out! You all just don't get it. The reason everyone in California are exceptable to out of state people because we are all walk of life here in california. Yes there are a lot of home grown Californian here in Cali but our state is huge with people. It is so crowded it here that you won't even know who is or not from here. We except all cultures here. Now the other State are not so friendly at first because they don't know you . You have to understand small towns know everyone and when a new person come in everyone knows it. They are skeptical of new people because they don't know you yet. I moved to NC 1 year ago and yes it was hard to make friends but I joined a club and help the community and that what got me in. I was in cultural shock here because when the first time I went shopping at the Grocery store strangers will strike up a conversation with you. You don't or ever get that from stranger in California. You can't in California becaus you might get mugged or shot. This community has it default but over all it is the Greatest place to live. Now I have more friends that I did in back in California. You have to turn the boat to understand why it is harder to be expected to one State than another. It will never be easy at first but it will get better in the long run for you and your family.
I know what you mean about being the stranger in town, I was up in Casper Wyoming for some family tree info. I am anglo like everyone else there, but you can just tell im not from there. We got the rudest stares. No one was friendly. I asked my wife what the deal was, and she agrees that they know we are not from there, and what the hell are we doing in there town. I have short hair, wear clean nice Polo shirts, docker pants. Did not look like I belonged there among all the bikers, Truckers, farmers, and conservative neo cons. It was so uncomfortable, I left. The Irony is that my grandfather founded the town by building a bridge there in the Early 1800s.

Californians are unwelcome IMO because they drive the prices of houses up. No one cares in cali if some one brings the 50,000 dollars they made off there house in Nevada for instance. That guy is not going to affect prices of cali. I am orig from cali and I moved to Oregon back in 77. I mentioned to my 5th grade class I was from cali on the first day (the teacher wanted us to tell about each other), I got my butt kicked after school. These people are my friends now 29 years later. It took me 3 or 4 years to fit in Oregon.

Old 06-11-2007, 08:44 PM

62 posts, read 256,703 times
"Yeah, California does have an accent and it even has a name...it's called
C-Dialect. It is the english of Hollywood, and the dialect spoken by major broadcaster nationwide. Proper C-dialect english is the standard in the televison industry; that's not to say you won't hear other dialects of english on tv, depending on the setting/theme of the sitcom or whatever. But people all over the world who are exposed to American pop culture and CNN are familiar with the way California's speak, and for the most part, it is our english that they associate with the United States."

Beg to differ.

Californians speak a region-neutral English favored for broadcast usage precisely because it is regionally neutral (BTW, there's no such thing as "English of Hollywood"). A broadcaster from any Western or Midwestern state will speak with basically the same "accent". Which really consists of no accent at all.

Californians have no distinguishable accent that could differentiate them from among any of the aforementioned U.S. areas.

What will identify a Californian as such however could be the usage of certain terminology & vocabulary typical of the CA region.

In my opinion, Region Neutral English in comparison with Northern East Coast sounds weak, monotonous and sluggish.

Old 06-11-2007, 09:04 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,379,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcapitan View Post
But California seems to be fairly accepting of everybody, regardless of origination.
Probably because California doesn't know any better; hence our overcrowding and ultra-high crime rate.

It's PC to "celebrate our diversity." God forbid you mention any nexus between "diversity" and gangs although there are plenty of home-grown ones here too.

Can't wait to leave!

Old 06-11-2007, 11:30 PM

193 posts, read 1,311,538 times
If you think California has a high crime rate check out cities in Alaska. GOOD NIGHT! I have some building lots up there that I inherited and I was checking out the area where they are located and the crime rate is in the 700's! The national average is 350.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or