U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-12-2007, 02:50 PM

1,921 posts, read 884,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckieteaches View Post
I am so surprised at people's reaction to California. Don't they realize that California is a huge state with varied geography as well as people? I come from far northern CA.-Redding. We have forests, mountains, and lakes near my hometown.
But people sometimes ask me if I surf or if I've spotted any movie stars-Hollywood is a good 8 hour drive from here!
Yes, I understand that people don't want their real estate prices driven up. We've seen ours skyrocket with the influx of S. Californians and Bay Area "transplants." But, if you wanted a better place to retire/raise your family/etc., wouldn't you do the same thing? I am tired of people blaming Californians for all their problems. Yes we have our share of "fruits and nuts" here but we also have people who go to work every day, go to church on Sunday, and just try to raise their families to the best of their abilities. In short, people just like you! Let's be a little less prejudiced people.
We are really talking about Socal, not you. You almost don't qualify. You pretty much belong to the Pacific NW. Redding is very nice. I trying to decide between Redding and Meford myself.

Old 07-12-2007, 08:20 PM

15,212 posts, read 24,920,253 times
Yeah, those of us who live in SoCal can just burn in hell because our lives aren't worth much.

Old 07-14-2007, 04:55 AM

4,455 posts, read 2,352,256 times
We have a fair number of Californians coming into Connecticut- some are returnees and some newcomers- I have helped many on this forum with issues of where to live, schools, and housing costs.

All the members on the Connecticut forum have been helpful as well. I know here in Connecticut we welcome those from the Golden state- and feel they have much to offer.

Last edited by skytrekker; 07-14-2007 at 10:41 AM..

Old 07-14-2007, 09:26 AM

4,611 posts, read 7,838,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
We have a fair number of Californians coming into Connecticut- some are returnees and some newcomers- I have helped many on this forum with issues of where to live, schools, and housing costs.

All the members on the Connecticut forum have been helpful as well. I now here in Connecticut we welcome those from the Golden state- and feel they have much to offer.
Thanks skytrekker!

Old 07-14-2007, 04:15 PM

10,591 posts, read 9,220,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
The theory that Californians drive up prices is full of holes. If people in other states didn't want Californians to buy, they would not sell to them. Californians, just like anyone from any other state, are going to pay around what the asking price is. Perhaps if people in other states didn't want their prices driven up they should a) lower their prices so everyone can afford them; or b) simply not sell to Californians.
in a more ideal world, that would work. but the endless pursuit for the almighty $$$ still holds considerable sway in all parts of the country. if the real estate vendors out that high priced states are moving into a low cost area, they will naturally jack the prices up. then it becomes a feeding frenzy to raise home prices for every house in the low cost areas. californians have hijacked the once beautiful austin that i spent my college years in for example.

Old 07-24-2007, 01:48 AM

59 posts, read 256,636 times
To get back to the point, I have lived in Rural Nor Cal and Southern California.
I cannot speak for all, but it seems that the Californians in the big cities, (SF, SD, etc...) seem to be more open to outsiders only if they have traveled themselves. I have friends who have NOT traveled much and they seem to resent the East Coast and the south. I would say this is due to IGNORANCE, and the lacking of funds, and the lacking of the will to travel.

Old 07-26-2007, 01:43 PM

2,031 posts, read 4,272,524 times
There is essentially one reason why people don't like Californians. Californians tend to be condescending to people from other parts of the country. This is especially true concerning the Southeast and Midwest portions of the US. I have experienced it myself. I really like visiting California, but the superiority complex of many residents is a bit much.

Old 07-26-2007, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
There is essentially one reason why people don't like Californians. Californians tend to be condescending to people from other parts of the country. This is especially true concerning the Southeast and Midwest portions of the US. I have experienced it myself. I really like visiting California, but the superiority complex of many residents is a bit much.
my family lives in california and they all snub my state. I guess you have to live in So cal to be worth something.

Old 07-28-2007, 09:47 AM

483 posts, read 1,417,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
Just getting my stuff to get out of here. Going to live in a place where I can get my Rocky Mountain High. My car can handle 120 MPH but Some good ol boy sheriff in Hicktown Texas would pull me over and bash my tail lights out in addition to the ticket. I don't live in Cali Either.
Hey, drive 120 mph around here, and you won't have to wait for a sheriff to bash something out of you.

Prick.

Old 07-28-2007, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irvm View Post
Hey, drive 120 mph around here, and you won't have to wait for a sheriff to bash something out of you.

Prick.
sheriff.....is that you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California