Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 02:14 PM

1,482 posts, read 5,173,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gormur View Post
Apparently not. I guess because the country is full of rednecks who never travel. You wouldn't believe some of the ghey-a$$ questions I've been asked by people who find out I'm from California....even Americans. Did you surf to school? probably takes the prize. I mean seriously...htf do you surf to school?
Maybe you live on a boat?

Old 08-15-2007, 09:07 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,779,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gormur View Post
Apparently not. I guess because the country is full of rednecks who never travel. You wouldn't believe some of the ghey-a$$ questions I've been asked by people who find out I'm from California....even Americans. Did you surf to school? probably takes the prize. I mean seriously...htf do you surf to school?
With all due respect, Im not sure I believe the surf story.

Old 08-16-2007, 10:37 AM

42 posts, read 249,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImRandy View Post
Maybe you live on a boat?
and the school is just off shore?

Old 08-16-2007, 04:30 PM

32 posts, read 63,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcapitan View Post
I've been pretty curious about this lately. In many neighboring states, there seems to be so much blind resentment against Californians in general. But California seems to be fairly accepting of everybody, regardless of origination.

People in other states seem to rank themselves by "generations living in the state." Did Californians used to be angry like that during the massive influx from the east coast, etc.?

Do ignorant people just like to blame "the Californian's" for all of their problems?
Probably because they are jealous. I don't live in California, but have done in the past. I'm also not from the USA. California has a great vibe, truly beautiful scenery and weather and this is reflected in how people act, generally speaking of course. I think a lot of conservative America, again generally speaking, would love to be like you but their traditions prevent them from doing so. So the next best thing is to criticise you and pretend you are cr*p. But you are not. Long may you prosper. Now answer me this, nothing to do with CA, ............what the heck does "What goes on in Las Vegas stays in Las Vegas" actually mean? Surely it is not aimed at Martha and Bob from Heartland USA who want to have a beer and pull a slot but don't want the folks back home to find out? If it is, then that is truly, truly sad.

Old 08-27-2007, 09:39 PM

58 posts, read 372,568 times
It's ignorant not to like someone because they are from another state. Some Californian's will hide their true beliefs regarding this topic. Some people out here are so afraid of hurting others' feelings that they WON'T TELL YOU what is really going on in their head. (I know......because I am from here, I can't speak for the other 35,000,000 Californians...but this is my observance!) Some people may appear to be FAKE......because they won't say what's really on their mind.
(They need a vacation to NYC, or Paris!)

Old 08-28-2007, 12:33 AM

125 posts, read 209,025 times
Quote:
Yes, Ignorant people just like to blame "the Californian's" for all of their problems.
You wouldn't be a party to the ignorant, now would you Ms. I-don't-know-my-possessives-from-my-plurals?

LORD HAVE MERCY! -- This country is going to hell in a hand-basket: the rank and file amongst us can't even construct coherent, grammatically-correct sentences. I'm no English Nazi, and I understand that Internet forums are designed for the efficient and speedy exchange of information without much regard for punctilios, but GIMME A BREAK! Show some dignity. Typos are one thing, but some fouls are far too egregious and common to indicate anything short of ineptitude. Language used to mean something: it used to transcend guttural utterances and make human exchange pleasant and eloquent. It was once revered, practiced with deft and grace... like the precious handling of an antique vase in the passing from a previous generation to its new heirs. People once took a sense of pride in the art of communication.

Quote:
California seems to be fairly accepting of everybody, regardless of origination.
You mean 'origin'?

I wouldn't call it acceptance; it's more of a 'you do your selfish things, go shopping for Quiksilver at your mall-of-choice; I'll do my selfish things, graffiti my own palm trees' type of ethos.

Californians, especially SoCal-ers, are a myopic, self-centered, and vacuous lot who live from their over-priced cars to their sterile cubicles; from their Big Box malls, to their Private Little Idaho surf breaks (where they practice their insular, individual sport); from their tricked-out barcaloungers, to their beds; and back to their cars the next morning -- wearing tunnel-vision glasses from sunup to sundown, fixed so they can see only what's directly ahead. Of course, these are the Californians who actually work or do something productive. Most So-Cal-ers I see don't hit the lick of a snake, EVER! -- They slough around in flip-flops, while away the idle time, and bring new meaning to the proverbial 'Idle hands are the Devil's workshop'. 24-7, it's a smorgasbord of insular, isolated activities for these Lone Ranger Duuuudes.

The typical Californian is in his own little world and could give a Russian rat's azz what you or anyone other than themselves or their kept men/ women are doing. You call this "acceptance." I'm telling you, it's not. Rather, it's: "I'm too busy getting my own rocks off that I don't bother to think anyone else exists!"

Interestingly, the lack of community-cohesiveness and earnest team-oriented spirit is the chief deterrent to development of a culture. It is also why the cultures brought in from the 'outsiders' and newly-relocated cannot gain a foothold in the local marketplace of ideas. It's analogous to the "Tree Falling In the Woods" metaphor: every individual is his own mini- 'forest', surrounded of course by a sound-proof, formidable wall topped by barbed-wire -- the likes which Pink Floyd's Mother might have built. Nothing comes in; nothing gets out. Nothing is seen, nothing is heard from forest to forest...

Nothing is shared in SoCal. Sure, there are convenient arrangements and alliances (read: skate gangs, tech companies, acting troupes); but it's basically about Social Darwinism, rugged individualism, "extreme living," and individual agendas -- ME ME ME ME ME ME ME! -- the new seven note diatonic scale.

And cultures are not spawned from individuals; they do require individual contributions, but through conservatories and academies of shared thought and practice -- operating within established communal societies -- existing organically, yet willingly. Divine inspiration and the impetus for original creation results from the synergies and sympathies forged under these ideal, and historically-proven circumstances.

Quote:
Some Californian's will hide their true beliefs regarding this topic. Some people out here are so afraid of hurting others' feelings that they WON'T TELL YOU what is really going on in their head.
JESUS, JOSEPH, AND MARY, PEOPLE! Another miserable possessive v. plural snafu... Jeepers! -- And to see the myriad, voluminous postings made daily about the "Education of Our Youth" -- to read these city forums and find a jillion posts decrying the state of public education in their respective urban centers... to read the hysterical lamentations: "I just can't BRING myself to send Little Johnny to such low-rent school systems! Little Johnny MUST have a top-flight education! I demand the BEST for Little Johnny!" All the while, the parents can't string one sentence together without screwing the pooch! It's unbelievable.

I'm beginning to wonder whether the problem is mental laziness... or actual ignorance due to mal-education... or that the zeitgeist no longer values the classical components -- that what formerly constituted a sophisticated, educated populace has devolved rapidly and under our very noses with ne'er a care. Or, is this forum just run amuk with the dregs of society? -- the dwarfest of the mental midgits -- in which case these samplings would not be relevant.

One more thing: The reason Californians won't tell you what is "going on in their [heads]" is simple: the typical California disposition/ personality type is 'Phlegmatic'. No worries, dude! Right on, dude! Hella rad, dude! Dude, I mean, DUE to the widespread use of marijuana, the relentless sun-worship, the isolation of souls, the contagious nature of dim-wittedness, and the lack of community demands placed on the individual -- which would otherwise cause him to interact, engage, and be a socially animated creature. Phlegmatics, for the uninitiated, are a watery lot: spineless, don't speak their mind, and kowtow. They don't lead and they don't follow; they resist and slip into anonymity. An entire region composed of this type would be a harrowing nightmare of insipid human folly.

An American Nightmare.

Last edited by san phlegmatico; 08-28-2007 at 01:54 AM..

Old 09-01-2007, 11:59 PM

38,882 posts, read 22,864,124 times
Hey, san phlegmatico, I like the way you think, especially regarding the grammatical errors found on these forums and the quality of education available nowadays. It's kind of sad and scary to think about future generations not being able to communicate properly due to the deteriorating quality of our schools, especially when it comes to writing. Yes, indeed.

Old 09-02-2007, 12:11 AM

1,920 posts, read 2,779,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennismpat View Post
Hey, san phlegmatico, I like the way you think, especially regarding the grammatical errors found on these forums and the quality of education available nowadays. It's kind of sad and scary to think about future generations not being able to communicate properly due to the deteriorating quality of our schools, especially when it comes to writing. Yes, indeed.
watz rong with miy gramor. u aint gaut to be so meen )

Old 09-02-2007, 12:18 AM

38,882 posts, read 22,864,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
watz rong with miy gramor. u aint gaut to be so meen )
LOL!!!!!

Old 09-02-2007, 12:26 AM

1,648 posts, read 2,560,088 times
I had to move from California to Texas, its end up just too expensive for me, welcoming or not. I missed the weather and the beauty, and the mountains, and its proximity to other cool areas like pacific NW, Vegas and such. I don't hate Texas as some of transplants do, but I am not that impressed either.
No world class natural beauty, they have attractions but nothing compare to CA's and Pacific NW. You can drive miles here without seeing anything and then see other similar cities, whereas in CA, you can drive from one great place to another totally different great place, and still see other great stuff in between.

Its all good, but I would rather live in a house at a bland place rather than live in a car in a beautiful place cause I have a family to take care of. So until I have more money, I would move back to CA, OR or WA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California