U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-02-2007, 07:11 PM

152 posts, read 601,331 times
Default Why is California welcoming to outsiders...But other states are not?

I've been pretty curious about this lately. In many neighboring states, there seems to be so much blind resentment against Californians in general. But California seems to be fairly accepting of everybody, regardless of origination.

People in other states seem to rank themselves by "generations living in the state." Did Californians used to be angry like that during the massive influx from the east coast, etc.?

Do ignorant people just like to blame "the Californian's" for all of their problems?

Old 06-02-2007, 08:59 PM

15,120 posts, read 23,883,761 times
Yes. People are definitely ignorant. And they're aggressive in their ignorance! I am a native Californian and have lived in CA my whole life. Then last year we moved to Texas. It was an absolute nightmare. I knew it the first week I was there that it wasn't for me. I lived there for 9 months and I am back home in CA. I met some really nice people in Texas, but generally, they don't like Californians either. I am just so happy to be back home in CA among my fellow Californians!

Old 06-02-2007, 11:03 PM

325 posts, read 969,359 times
A lot of people don't like Californians because a) they think CA is the land of "fruits and nuts", but I think more because of b) Californians move out California with lots of equity and tend to run up real estate prices anyplace where a lot of them relocate. Over the past decade, I've heard lots of people from Washington and Colorado mention this. Also, it might be because a lot of Californians think the rest of the nation is full of idiots and that they, themselves, are the bomb.

Old 06-03-2007, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw68 View Post
A lot of people don't like Californians because a) they think CA is the land of "fruits and nuts", but I think more because of b) Californians move out California with lots of equity and tend to run up real estate prices anyplace where a lot of them relocate. Over the past decade, I've heard lots of people from Washington and Colorado mention this. Also, it might be because a lot of Californians think the rest of the nation is full of idiots and that they, themselves, are the bomb.
The theory that Californians drive up prices is full of holes. If people in other states didn't want Californians to buy, they would not sell to them. Californians, just like anyone from any other state, are going to pay around what the asking price is. Perhaps if people in other states didn't want their prices driven up they should a) lower their prices so everyone can afford them; or b) simply not sell to Californians.

Old 06-03-2007, 01:16 AM

2,915 posts, read 6,324,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
The theory that Californians drive up prices is full of holes. If people in other states didn't want Californians to buy, they would not sell to them. Californians, just like anyone from any other state, are going to pay around what the asking price is. Perhaps if people in other states didn't want their prices driven up they should a) lower their prices so everyone can afford them; or b) simply not sell to Californians.
Ummm... Twinkle this just doesn't work.

A) You can't NOT sell to Californians. Most R/E transactions are done with agents acting as intermediaries so the buyer and seller won't know much about each other, until a price is agreed to.

B) Californians don't have to pay a ton more than the locals, they just need to pay a smidge more and they become the home buyer. That reduces the supply of housing and forces everyone else to pay smidge more for the rest of the housing. Those smidges add up quickly, and then you have surging home prices like in WA, OR, CO, NV, and AZ. Though they'll get no sympathy from me if they complain about it. It's just the way things work.

Old 06-03-2007, 01:20 AM

The seller CAN back out of a transaction. They don't have to sell to someone they don't want to deal with. Also, anybody from any other state who wants to buy a particular home is going to go through the SAME haggling over price issues as a Californian would. People need to take responsibility for their OWN actions and stop blaming Californians. Why are you saying that Californians are reducing the supply of housing? Wouldn't this be true of any other buyer from another state? If they bought a house, that house is no longer available to others. I am not following your line of thinking. Any buyer from ANYWHERE would then be reducing the housing supply.

Old 06-03-2007, 01:32 AM

5,021 posts, read 9,583,772 times
Twinkle Toes, I think the idea is that affordable housing becomes unattainable for people living in areas where Californians are buying up a lot of the homes or land. What still seems incredibly inexpensive to us is simply not the same to the locals in Montana, Idaho, etc. They might have saved up enough money for a down payment, and then wham! An ex-Californian comes along and buys up the house they wanted, and not only did the ex-Californian buy it, but he paid an extra $10,000 or $20,000 for it, and thinks it's a good deal to boot! I don't blame people in other states for feeling resentful, although I keep pointing out on other forums (like Montana) that there are those of us who rent, and have no equity to cash in. When I retire, my 401(k) is all I have!

And to answer the original poster's question, most Californians come from somewhere else - or their parents did. You don't find much of a "good ol' boys" thing going on in this part of the world, thankfully!

Old 06-03-2007, 01:52 AM

193 posts, read 1,033,677 times
Perhaps another reason why Californians seem accepting of "outsiders" is we are too busy to notice! Between the congestion and most families where both parents work we barely take the time to get to know anyone outside of our neighborhood, if that. It's like the more crowded it gets the more people ignore each other. I guess it's some people's idea of staying out of other's way so they will stay out of theirs.

I tend to be the kind of person who pays close attention to my surroundings and I always notice how people in this state hate to make eye contact with others no matter how physically close they are. Next time you go shopping pay attention, or you might be one of these people yourself. See how often people get within inches of you and not look at you or say a word. No 'excuse me', no polite smile, just this robotic way of going about one's business.

Just the other day I was at TJ Max and it tripped me out how many shoppers got so close to me as they were looking through the clothes racks and not one even looked my way...it was as if I wasn't even there. I can't help but laugh...it's just so crazy to see people be so closed off to other human beings. I am thankful that as busy as my life gets sometimes I am never that busy that I can't crack a smile or offer a small bit of witty small talk to someone who I must share a tight space with.

Ya all have a nice day.

Old 06-03-2007, 06:36 AM

1,093 posts, read 2,694,383 times
Quote:
The theory that Californians drive up prices is full of holes.
I agree with you, Miss Twink. CO real estate has been rising at about 4% and there are people that blame Californians for what is basically healthy inflation. IMO, because we were in a good financial situation from the equity of our CA home, we were able to negotiate with a bit more confidence and bought for 6% less than asking. I don't know of any Californian paying more than asking price just because he felt the price was too cheap. With the amount of homes on the market these days, I'll bet there are many sellers praying for an ex-CA to look at their house.
What I see is a lot of non-Californians moving into CA and driving the housing market there. That is pricing a lot of natives out of the market and forcing 'em to look elsewhere if they ever want to own a home and still have a life.

Old 06-03-2007, 09:01 AM

4,611 posts, read 7,613,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcapitan View Post
I've been pretty curious about this lately. In many neighboring states, there seems to be so much blind resentment against Californians in general. But California seems to be fairly accepting of everybody, regardless of origination.

People in other states seem to rank themselves by "generations living in the state." Did Californians used to be angry like that during the massive influx from the east coast, etc.?

Do ignorant people just like to blame "the Californian's" for all of their problems?
Yes, Ignorant people just like to blame "the Californian's" for all of their problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California