Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 03:10 PM

1 posts, read 10,080 times

Advertisements

My family is looking at possibly relocating to Oakdale. We are looking for good schools and areas within the town to raise children. Any thoughts on good areas within the town would be very helpful. While we are not ruling out a country home, my preference would be to be closer to downtown maybe in the Magnolia area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 06:26 PM

257 posts, read 407,424 times
Oakdale is pretty good; I've never seen an area of it I'd consider bad. So wherever you go there it'll probably be okay.

Old 03-10-2010, 11:02 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times
All I can tell you about Oakdale is that my BIL drives clear down there from Sonora to a butcher who provides excellent prime rib for our holiday dinners. At least you'll eat well,if you're a carnivore. Good luck on your move,sorry I can't be more helpful.

Last edited by eureka1; 03-10-2010 at 11:05 AM.. Reason: mispelling

Old 03-10-2010, 06:46 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
Oakdale is a beautiful city. Very much still a COWTOWN. Riverbank and Escalon are also nice places to live. If you can afford it look into a Ranchette around that area, if you don't mind septics and wells. Oakdale used to be famous for the Hershey Chocolate factory but that has closed down. Have fun in cow country.

Old 12-21-2010, 03:24 PM

1 posts, read 9,168 times
I love Oakdale! Cowboy Capitol of the World! City isn't too big and the people are nice.

Old 12-21-2010, 04:10 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,507,394 times
I lived in Oakdale from age 7 to 14. Its a wonderful place to be a kid. Just the right size town and only 20 minutes to Modesto if you need a bigger town for whatever reason. The only somewhat "crappy" part of town is the south side near the Hunt/Wesson processing plant. Other than that its pretty much all good. My folks had a house on the bluff off River Road just two miles from town. It was an excellent spot. I'm a huge Oakdale booster, but it really is one of the best small towns in the state and definitely the best one in the San Joaquin Valley. Have fun!

Edit: Oh heck "kountrygur08"! You pulled a necro-thread! Grrr...I really should check the first post date to see if its even still relevant before I post.

Old 12-21-2010, 08:21 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,236,138 times
Wow, your first post on citydata is resurecting a old thread about of all places Oakdale? Wow... not off to a good start lol.

Old 12-21-2010, 08:36 PM

17,633 posts, read 22,626,536 times
My son & family live outside Jamestown, so i used to drive thru Oakdale quite often. Seemed like a real nice, friendly town. The Hershey chocolate smelled real good. How time does fly.

hohohohohohoho

pretty good fishin' in that area.

Old 10-07-2012, 05:41 PM

62 posts, read 271,258 times
How are the schools in Oakdale? What's the general feel? Cowboy but hicks? Backward? Are the people Tolerant? How are Blacks treated? Excepting? Progressive? Family oriented? What about the weather? How does it compare to Clovis, CA? Thanks for any infomation.
Side Note: We were all ready to move to Clovis after years of looking. Now, all the houses in our range with acres are gone! We bid on 3 houses and lost to someone making a slightly higher offer. We also found out that some areas are having WATER problems, wish someone had said something about that. While other areas have lowered their prices, Clovis is raising theirs! I really love the area, schools and art and music in the area but I refuse to pay sky high prices when there are many vacant houses in Clovis! Also, Clovis isn't into small family farms. They hold on to land, acres, for Spectulation and price it sky high so only a builder could afford it. Even though it's not now selling. We wanted around 20 acres but they have them priced in the Milliions, totally unaffordable for families starting out in a business. Aparently, they feel no need to back small farmers, too bad. We loved the town, were all looking forward to moving there. Anyway, how does Oakdale compare. Now you have your thread back!

Last edited by Iwaswondering; 10-07-2012 at 05:43 PM.. Reason: spelling error

Old 10-07-2012, 05:54 PM

493 posts, read 782,871 times
the hershey factory might be gone, but the pea soup factory is still there.

pea soup fog factory that is.

all the cold air sinks down the sierras and finally settles in the valley, can make winter mornings really nasty, to drive in. keep the windows rolled so you can hear any cars coming the other way cuz you sure aint gonna see 'em
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California