Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 01:21 AM

46 posts, read 121,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberM123 View Post
The North East part of town is still nice. Stay away from south Modesto.

After you move here, check out this website. My Modesto Coupons it's a great way to save some money!
Yep, great advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 01:09 PM

42 posts, read 108,511 times
Hi, I may have a job lead in Modesto as well. I visited over 10 years ago along with north for some of the other wineries.

I would look outside Modesto, general interest would be safe area, probably a house for two people as I have an adult child on her own. Don't need any fast pace.

Any fishing or hunting around? I know there is not much for boating in the area.

Old 06-05-2010, 01:23 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,049,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannan View Post
Any fishing or hunting around? I know there is not much for boating in the area.
This is the most recent fishing report from the Modesto paper, it might give you some ideas in the area to start.

The Modesto Bee | Fishing Report (6/2/10)

Old 06-05-2010, 07:28 PM

Thank you FresnoFacts.

I have a 25 foot boat now that I would probably have to leave behind to be in the general Modesto area.

Any other information on the general questions would be helpful. Thanks again.

Old 06-06-2010, 12:24 AM

22 posts, read 31,697 times
Lived here in Mo-Town since 1983... here's my take:
  • Overall a good place to live. I grew up in SF so it's quite a difference.
  • Lots of good places to eat, close to the Bay Area, close to the foothills.
  • Good fishing, but you have to go at least an hour or more... Mokulume Hill, Valley Springs, Lake Don Pedro, or up in the higher elevations for good stream fishing (Walker Creek, etc.)
  • South side, southeast side, airport district are definately places to stay away from.
  • Most areas north of Standiford Ave are pretty nice.
  • East has a lot of newer housing... there are some that aren't so desirable.. just have to ask.
  • West of the freeway between Briggsmore and Standiford is small ranchettes and some ranches... some rentals in the area,
  • If you're looking to buy a house you can strike gold... housing values here have plummeted, so it's the epitome of a Buyer's Market
  • 60 minutes from the East Bay, 70 minutes from Sacramento or the South Bay, 90 minutes from SF and the Penninsula, 3 hours from Tahoe or Yosemite, it's pretty centrally located to a lot of activities.
  • In 27 years I have never had any run ins with gangs, but I stay from their "turf".

Old 06-06-2010, 07:33 AM

Dreamweaver, thank you for the information. Good details.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:05 AM

There is Oakdale lake about 30 minutes from here... good water sports, boating, etc, and Tulloch lake, which is beautiful.... about an hour's drive with a boat in tow.

Another thing about this area is there is a TON of Fairs, Festivals, and "gathereings" of one sort or another.

Get's hot in the summer... can have 20+ days over 100 deg... winters are pretty mild - rarely gets below freezing. Not much rain, but the toule fog can be a problem... haven't really seen bad fog for about 10 years, but it can happen.

Lots of Agriculture, so lots of pollen - if you have allergies you could have issues.

It's kind of a Metro-Cowtown - 70% of the new housing from the early 80's through earlier this decade was built for commuters to the Bay Area. I moved here in '83 and there were 65,000 people... now there's over 200,000, and they are mostly transplants. So there's a flavor of metro sprinkled into the local agri-culture. Not uncommon to see a rancher-type hanging out in a club.

Overall most here are pretty hearty, fairly conservative, family types. Has one of the highest ratios of churches per capita in N. Cal. People here are notably friendlier than in the bigger cities / urban areas, they drive "friendlier", and tend to hold the door open for you when you enter or leave a store.

There's no escaping the fact that there are gangs but even in the High School in one of the "worst" neighborhoods the kids who keep their noses clean are pretty safe. Modesto High, while not necessarily in the greatest neighborhood, is academically strong.

High enempolyment in the three counties --- Stanislaus (Modesto), San Joaquin (Stockton), Merced --- Stanislaus in real numbers, not counting underemployment and "no longer looking" is still over 20%. So, if you have employment here you are good... if you are looking you are in trouble. Housing reflective of the unemployment rate.

Old 06-06-2010, 04:06 PM

Dreamweaver, thanks again. I would move based on a possible job. I have interviews in other states too. We are in MA now. I would prefer conservative, given that CA is not my first choice. I have no issue with being around ranchers, solid workers, educated folks and more. I am not looking for a liberal bastion, I am already in MA!

No issue with allergies. I have been in the area visiting companies but not for 10 years. Would just want an area less than an hour from Modesto if we were to move, where there would be no hassles. Would want to work and play as mentioned.

Old 06-06-2010, 11:41 PM

If you move east of Modesto you would be going in a reverse commute... most of the traffic in the am goes west, in the pm goes east.

The thing about this area is there are a LOT of smaller communities... must be 50 cities and towns within a 45 mile radius. There's a bunch of little "hick" towns that, in reality, are nice places to live. PM me if you get seroius and head out this way to check it out... I'll sit you down with a map or two and give you the lay of the land.

Old 06-07-2010, 05:10 AM

Sounds good Dreamweaver. It may be a stretch, I'll see. Have a starting phone call today with a company. But have things much further along with some other companies elsewhere. Can be difficult to get them all to time out the same. Thank you for the offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California