Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 04:15 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times

Advertisements

Look to the deserts and the valleys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 06:02 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyCoast View Post
So how about I change the LA to California?
Needles has some houses under $100k. Do you enjoy 120 degree summers?

Old 03-14-2010, 06:37 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,069,086 times
Joshua Tree/Yucca Valley area (desert-but only 40 min. or so from Palm Springs, a few hours from the coast) you can definitely find something under 100k-not sure what, though, and occasionally up in the Mt. Shasta/Weed/Dunsmuir/McCloud area and points north and east of there...(research the towns-i'm drawing a blank off- hand)which are near the OR border, and 2 hrs plus from the coast. Gets snow in the winter-has a small ski resort; has glorious summers. Lots of fly fishing, small community college (Siskyou) in Weed. Lots of tourism in Mt. Shasta, but it's a very small alpine town of year round residents-maybe 4k. Extremely beautiful area.
100k maybe on the outskirts, or a fixer, older bungalow type of house. This is a 12 hour drive down the 5 to San Diego, to give you an idea of location and proximity to what you may or may not be looking for in CA.

You could also try Redding area-not likely, but you never know, esp. for a condo. (About one hour south of Mt. Shasta; small city with not a whole lot of employment/career prospects, but some decent-ish amenities. Again, very hot in the summer.

Not sure what's happening these days up int he Crescent City area-but I think it's surpassed 100k and not coming any lower anymore. But the area is the bannana belt of way northern CA; an old dilapidated victorian port town/small city on the coast, that now has a resident surfer population and has seen some gentrification. Gorgeous area, though.

If you just want sunshine and a more moderate climate, I suggest new mexico, though some of the winters can be a bit harsh. Or Northern Arizona. If you can stand the heat, then arizona is a natural choice, and phx is only a 5 hour jaunt to san diego-many do it for the weekend. Plus, you have the Gulf of Mexico area just across the border, that many Arizonans use for vacations and spring break,etc-Puerto Penasco-it's pretty built up meaning it's not shacks and taco stands, and alot of US residents have second homes there. You could find something in the phx area, and escape to the two coastal options whenever you like.

Last edited by lrmsd; 03-14-2010 at 06:44 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-14-2010, 10:40 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,686,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyCoast View Post
So how about I change the LA to California?
So what else do you really hope to find for so little??? I mean you do realize California is an expensive state to live in right? And property taxes are higher here than many other states as well. Less than 100K + close to the coast + nice do not go together, plain and simple.

Your name enjoy coast is all we have to go on. If that is your only goal along with low cost housing you probably don't want the desert. Maybe somewhere up near Crescent City could work near the Oregon Border.

Otherwise look to other states with cheaper housing along the coast like in the South or maybe some parts of the PNW.

Derek

Old 03-14-2010, 10:47 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,375,727 times
$100K is usually part of a down-payment.

Do some more research. This is not the way to go.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:14 AM

289 posts, read 1,138,433 times
If you aren't worried about a long commute or can work from home, you could try French Valley near Temecula. Do a search for Winchester, CA and condos under 100,000 and you'll come up with a a few 2br/2ba in that range. (Stick with the ones near Benton Rd not near the actual town of Winchester). Nice area. I lived a mile from there for a couple years around 2003. About an hour to San Diego and the beach. An hour to Palm Springs. A bit longer in traffic to Orange County and (I'm not sure) maybe 2 hours to LA. Nice weather, little smog, newer condos and about the best you'll do in Southern California for the money.

My only caveat is that I'm not familiar with those condo developments so I can't say anything about the HOAs and whether they are solvent.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:00 AM

2,352 posts, read 5,251,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Santa Ana, Gardena, Carson, South Central, Compton.

At least life wouldn't be boring.
100k housing in those areas would be sparse at best, if they even exist (I did see condos in the 150k range in Santa Ana a while ago).

But expect high crime, gang related activity every night, and people to be sitting on your car at night as they deal drugs.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:30 AM

126 posts, read 161,430 times
I think you can find a home in Blythe or or Calipatria for around 100k

Old 03-15-2010, 11:55 AM

50 posts, read 159,595 times
A mobile home is your only option at that price.

The upside; you aren't pissing away $$$ on rent, and even with the inevitable depreciation, at least you get something back when you sell.

The downside; it's a mobile home. Expect snickers from friends and relatives and PWT neighbors.

There ARE some nice mobiles, though, and it will be YOURS.

Old 03-15-2010, 12:08 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazuemague View Post
A mobile home is your only option at that price.

The upside; you aren't pissing away $$$ on rent, and even with the inevitable depreciation, at least you get something back when you sell.

The downside; it's a mobile home. Expect snickers from friends and relatives and PWT neighbors.

There ARE some nice mobiles, though, and it will be YOURS.
But you still have to rent a space to put it and that won't be cheap in any developed area near the coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California